• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

How about the numerous times it's shown that his lightning emanates light which is potent enough to light up various surroundings, including his face and hair?
I'd personally include that in the aesthetics too. It looks cool as heck so why not.
I'm not too sure on the lightning illuminating surroundings though.
Hell, in the anime it is shown that Deku doing 100% Full Cowling causes various debris and rocks to be lifted up in the air. His LITERAL aura is causing this.
If it's an anime-only scene that doesn't happen in the manga, couldn't we disregard it?
If we're going to count these instances, might as well also include that as among the effects of OFA and it may give Deku secondary abilities. Hell, include that part where Deku's lightning vaporized Kaiju Overhaul's body too.
This has been happening for years, way before JT was even a thing. So you could argue that your example in JT means NOTHING compared to the literal mountains of instances that I have mentioned.
That's kinda false equivalence, or false analogy. I'm too effed up right now to remember which was it, so I'll just explain it.

Deku's OFA aura being a thing and happening for years doesn't disprove the fact that nobody in-universe ever actually sees this, or show that they do. So there's actually two things that has been both a thing for years now and has a mountains of instances: 1) Deku's OFA having lightning features, and 2) People never noticing or making a comment about it. You'd at least expect some Denki comparisons to happen, like with Sero and Black Whip.

Even All Might originally didn't have any aura except for the yellow-ish lightning we see in the anime vs AFO. IIRC All Might in Two Heroes didn't have them either.

I just feel like the entire purpose of the OFA lightning is to display when OFA is being used or not, because that was a very huge part in Izuku's fights back when he still can't completely control the power. Also to denote percentage increase.

Do you guys think we'll see prime All Might vs All For One in MHA Vigilantes somewhere down the road?
I think it will just happen in the main series as a flashback before All Might dies.

Or if one day Deku goes through memory lane in the Vestiges dreams. I could see an arc completely set in the Vestige world with Deku living through the memories of the other Vestiges like he did with Yoichi when OFA first reached singularity.

Calling it: The 2nd user’s quirk is going to be a callback to when All Might explained that you can change your quirk registration form if it turns out to be a different sort of quirk, back when he entered UA. The example All Might gave was:

”The quirk allows the user to emit water from their body.” X this is wrong.
”The quirk allows the user to control the condensation in the air to form water around them.” This is more correct.

The quirk would allow Deku to control nearby water and use it to attack. The user’s gauntlets are water containers, or containers to help draw in more condensation. Perfect quirk to use in the current battle since it’s raining and all.

Calling it: The 2nd user’s quirk is going to be a callback to when All Might explained that you can change your quirk registration form if it turns out to be a different sort of quirk, back when he entered UA. The example All Might gave was:

”The quirk allows the user to emit water from their body.” X this is wrong.
”The quirk allows the user to control the condensation in the air to form water around them.” This is more correct.

The quirk would allow Deku to control nearby water and use it to attack. The user’s gauntlets are water containers, or containers to help draw in more condensation. Perfect quirk to use in the current battle since it’s raining and all.
🧐

If it's an anime-only scene that doesn't happen in the manga, couldn't we disregard it?
If we're going to count these instances, might as well also include that as among the effects of OFA and it may give Deku secondary abilities. Hell, include that part where Deku's lightning vaporized Kaiju Overhaul's body too.
Firstly, this doesn't contradict much of anything. We already treat the anime as secondary canon, so I think it's fine to use this.

What secondary abilities? The only one I can think of is the instance where Deku's lightning vaporized Overhaul's body. This is a blatant contradiction in the manga and is never shown, ever to be a thing. Not a very good example compared to something which only adds to the manga, and contradicts nothing.

That's kinda false equivalence, or false analogy. I'm too effed up right now to remember which was it, so I'll just explain it.

Deku's OFA aura being a thing and happening for years doesn't disprove the fact that nobody in-universe ever actually sees this, or show that they do. So there's actually two things that has been both a thing for years now and has a mountains of instances: 1) Deku's OFA having lightning features, and 2) People never noticing or making a comment about it. You'd at least expect some Denki comparisons to happen, like with Sero and Black Whip.
You never even explained why my example was a false analogy. You just brought a random point to the table and hoped it would refute what I said. Which definitely ain't an explanation of a false analogy.

And Just because nobody points this out, or comments about Deku's lightening it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There could be a myriad of reasons as to why it's not pointed out. All Might having dark eyes isn't really explained, even in his Prime, but does that mean it's just an effect? When you have instances of the lightning and its light affecting the environment around Deku, giving him green eyes even, there's not much you could say to refute this. You simply have to accept that this is a real thing happening to Deku.

Hell, even Heroes Rising, it's implied that the electricity is the reason Deku's hair stands up when going Full Cowling 100%. When he goes Full Cowling 100%, it's very obvious that One for All is the reason for the hair change. You'd need factual evidence to prove that all of this is just "aesthetic." And so far, you've provided none.

I just feel like the entire purpose of the OFA lightning is to display when OFA is being used or not, because that was a very huge part in Izuku's fights back when he still can't completely control the power. Also to denote percentage increase.
That's just a theory, an educated guess at best. The only evidence you'd have of this would be completely head-canon. To be concise; what you're saying is just an assumption with barely any evidence to speak of.

If OFA lightning is “only an indicator to show its being used”, why doesn’t All Might have it MOST of the time? He DOES have it, he’s shown it several times. Deku also didn’t show it when he uses it on single limbs. All Might’s chad body just contains it most of the time. Why contain it if it isn’t actually real?

All Might’s “dark eyes” are just the shadows covering his eyes, since his brow line covers them. His face is quite sunken.

People don’t comment on the lightning because it’s just “his quirk”, it’s the same reason why people don’t question why Asui is a frog, or why Endeavor has a fire beard, or why Aizawa’s eyes glow red, or why All Might can pretty much magically transform between two completely different states. It’s just something they can do. It’s normal.

It’s just stuck in a constant limbo of: “it does exist, it’s just not brought attention to because it’s just his quirk, it’s nothing special, why talk about it?” and “it doesn’t exist, it’s only for the readers“.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Fa Jin isn’t mystical. It’s just a quirk name. The description of the quirk is super basic.

It’s basically Recipro Burst with a charge up time.

I thought they punched a hole through the storm, not dispersed it. There’s still a lot of grey clouds covering the sky in the following scenes. Unless that’s a different storm to the purple one. Which means they punched through 2 storms? The grey one behind the purple focused one.

If OFA lightning is “only an indicator to show its being used”, why doesn’t All Might have it MOST of the time?
Does he? I'd like you to provide all these instances All Might have OFA lightning, aside from the AFO fight in the anime.
While I do have the memory of a goldfish, I can at least present these three instances:
And not a single OFA lightning on All Might in sight. Hell he fights side by side with Deku who turns into a green lightbulb at some point.
All Might’s chad body just contains it most of the time. Why contain it if it isn’t actually real?
I'd also like a source saying All Might contains the lightning. This is honestly the first time I've heard of this so I'm curious.
People don’t comment on the lightning because it’s just “his quirk”, it’s the same reason why people don’t question why Asui is a frog, or why Endeavor has a fire beard, or why Aizawa’s eyes glow red, or why All Might can pretty much magically transform between two completely different states.
They don't have to "question" it.
I'm pretty sure Asui's condition is a different situation. So is Aizawa's, and it doesn't even glow read per se and is usually hidden.
All Might's transformation was questioned by Deku. Nobody questions it because... nobody knew about it for a long time.

The more apt comparison is Aizawa's binding cloth floating telekinetically. And people actually wonders about that (at least Deku does). Meaning it's not just a special effects but it actually happens for some reason. The same can't be said for OFA lightning.

Deku also didn’t show it when he uses it on single limbs.
It’s just stuck in a constant limbo of: “it does exist, it’s just not brought attention to because it’s just his quirk, it’s nothing special, why talk about it?” and “it doesn’t exist, it’s only for the readers“.
This is actually one of the things I question about OFA lightning.

Midoriya originally didn't have it when using 1 limb. People are already used to him using his quirk as this was the case up to the Sports Festival.
Then Deku masters 5% during the Hosu Incident arc.
From that point onwards he generates lightning when using his newly discovered Full Cowl. People seeing it for the first time (both the lightning and Deku having better mobility), you'd expect they would comment on that, since it's new.
Well, as far as I can remember, they didn't. So the “it does exist, it’s just not brought attention to because it’s just his quirk, it’s nothing special, why talk about it?” excuse doesn't really work IMO. Because it should've have brought people's attention because it was a new application of the quirk.

I don't really have any strong feelings about whether OFA lightning is for reals or not, but it is a curious discussion.

I thought they punched a hole through the storm, not dispersed it. There’s still a lot of grey clouds covering the sky in the following scenes. Unless that’s a different storm to the purple one. Which means they punched through 2 storms? The grey one behind the purple focused one.
The scene itself shows them dispersing the main storm above the island (i assume the purple) and they never created a hole in the storm, we can actually see the attack traveling upwards the storm as there was already an opening in it. The feat was blowing away the large storm that nine had generated

Does he? I'd like you to provide all these instances All Might have OFA lightning, aside from the AFO fight in the anime.
While I do have the memory of a goldfish, I can at least present these three instances:
And not a single OFA lightning on All Might in sight. Hell he fights side by side with Deku who turns into a green lightbulb at some point.

I'd also like a source saying All Might contains the lightning. This is honestly the first time I've heard of this so I'm curious.

They don't have to "question" it.
I'm pretty sure Asui's condition is a different situation. So is Aizawa's, and it doesn't even glow read per se and is usually hidden.
All Might's transformation was questioned by Deku. Nobody questions it because... nobody knew about it for a long time.

The more apt comparison is Aizawa's binding cloth floating telekinetically. And people actually wonders about that (at least Deku does). Meaning it's not just a special effects but it actually happens for some reason. The same can't be said for OFA lightning.

This is actually one of the things I question about OFA lightning.

Midoriya originally didn't have it when using 1 limb. People are already used to him using his quirk as this was the case up to the Sports Festival.
Then Deku masters 5% during the Hosu Incident arc.
From that point onwards he generates lightning when using his newly discovered Full Cowl. People seeing it for the first time (both the lightning and Deku having better mobility), you'd expect they would comment on that, since it's new.
Well, as far as I can remember, they didn't. So the “it does exist, it’s just not brought attention to because it’s just his quirk, it’s nothing special, why talk about it?” excuse doesn't really work IMO. Because it should've have brought people's attention because it was a new application of the quirk.

I don't really have any strong feelings about whether OFA lightning is for reals or not, but it is a curious discussion.
This is nice

Lightning with All Might. He can only hold OFA in his arm, his body isn’t containing it, so it’s leaking out. He also shows it at the very beginning of Two Heroes for a split second when he saved the family from the rocket bad guy since his body wasn’t quite CHAD enough to contain the power.

Deku generates lightning because, as Torino says, “you’ve flooded your whole body with OFA”. It’s flooding, barely containing it, that’s what the lightning is; excess energy. All Might trained to handle all the energy without losing it. Hence why his only appears at his weakest state where he can only use it in one arm.

You know what, I've been a proponent of "OFA lightning being excess energy" for quite some time now, probably over a year now since it's been discussed by people and so on.

But let me state one issue about that theory: Izuku using 100% OFA on his arms should have displayed lightning as well. Just like what's happening with All Might here, all that excess power should've been flowing out too.

It's also another thing that the story never really explains OFA lightning. Also that it could've been an additional weakness too.
If it's really a thing, it would've been acknowledged especially by Deku. The show always talks about quirk mechanics after all.

I really wish excess energy is a thing though, it's my own headcanon too.

Deku generates lightning because, as Torino says, “you’ve flooded your whole body with OFA”. It’s flooding, barely containing it, that’s what the lightning is; excess energy. All Might trained to handle all the energy without losing it. Hence why his only appears at his weakest state where he can only use it in one arm.
Ya sure? Him flooding his body with OFA simply means he’s spreading OFA throughout his entire body i dont see what in that sentence implies power is leaking out. All Might only trained to fight with ofa, its already stated he could handle it from the start, lol. Like others mentioned, if it was leaking out why was the lightning not present when he was using ofa in a single limb? Or why hasnt it been talked about? Im leaning more on the side of it just being cosmetics.

Probably because that was much earlier in the series when Horikoshi didn’t have everything set in stone; and he still doesn’t. Like when he said All Might’s black eyes were caused from his injury; despite having them before his injury as shown many, many times.

the way I see it:

One-limb use: All the power is FORCED and capped inside the limb, meaning none of the energy can escape and leak out.

Full Cowling: The power is allowed to flood and flow freely throughout and out of the body, allowing energy to escape and not be capped inside, limiting the damage done to the body; although it still causes strain simply having it turned on as Deku showed when he first used it and when he used 20%.

Nine, after having his surgery and is being transported away in that truck, decides to join the heroes for whatever reason. He breaks free and walks up to Endeavor. One thing leads to another and he’s now a hero.

What changes in the following arcs with Nine on their side?

Scenario 1: He is not allowed any new quirks. He is as he is in the movie.

Scenario 2: He is allowed to take 1 quirk from any currently detained villain.

Scenario 3: He is allowed to take Katsuma’s quirk, as long as he promises to give it back after all is said and done.

Nine, after having his surgery and is being transported away in that truck, decides to join the heroes for whatever reason. He breaks free and walks up to Endeavor. One thing leads to another and he’s now a hero.

What changes in the following arcs with Nine on their side?

Scenario 1: He is not allowed any new quirks. He is as he is in the movie.

Scenario 2: He is allowed to take 1 quirk from any currently detained villain.

Scenario 3: He is allowed to take Katsuma’s quirk, as long as he promises to give it back after all is said and done.
Nine gets decayed by tomura gg :troll:

In Two Heroes, All Might saves Dave from the helicopter. In doing so he outpaces the shockwave from his own speed by a significant amount. Was that ever used in a calc?

At most it will just be vague supersonic/hypersonic. We already have a lot of speed feats on that level for All Might.

The speed of the cube is already High Hypersonic+ so it's not worth trying to get this feat.
My question about scaling to the cube is
Will it be scaled to general speed or just reaction and combat speed?
Since all Deku and All might did was well, punch it.

Also Deku’s entire body wasn’t at 100% so would the cube scale to lower percentages?

No, I'm pretty sure it's been agreed on that Todoroki, Bakugo, Izuku, and the others reacting to Wolfram's attacks are outliers.

I don't see why him having a calc changes anything, we didn't scale any of the students to him before.

Too many assumed outliers. I'd get it if it was one character but this is multiple characters we are talking about. At that point you gotta wonder maybe it's the calc itself that's wrong, after all I've seen a lot of inflated calcs on this site and other power scaling forums.

Too many assumed outliers. I'd get it if it was one character but this is multiple characters we are talking about. At that point you gotta wonder maybe it's the calc itself that's wrong, after all I've seen a lot of inflated calcs on this site and other power scaling forums.
tbf Shoto blocks attacks from Wolfram intended for All might in that scene so yeah we can have a bunch outliers and still have the Calc be fine
Since there’s no way we’re gonna have Shoto’s ice be Mountain level at that point.

It's an outlier no matter what we do, calc or not.

Or are we saying 5% Izuku and the others can now keep up with All Might, even though he was blitzing them before with weights on?

Doesn't matter what the calc is, and it makes zero sense for All Might to hold back his speed by that much. Since he's shown he can blitz these character rather easily.

Nah, remember the accepted logic? The movie is canon. Therefore every single event in the movie is canon. Nothing is an outlier. Horikoshi clearly was consulted on every single little instance of action of course. This is why 5% Deku is, like, supersonic because he totally outsped bullets in that one 3 second scene. Clearly All Might was lowering his % so Deku can keep up with him, as he says, he never uses 100% at all times otherwise it causes wind storms. /s.

I'd like to point out All Might can blitz them without causing any shockwaves or storms.

Final Exam arc, he casually appeared between both 5% Izuku and Bakugo without any effort.
And he's wearing weights meant to slow him down. He even says that it wasn't his top speed.

Edit: What was that?

Puts on fedora and eyeliner.

Clearly, it is not an outlier, because Horikoshi wrote the movie. It is perfectly accurate to the power scale. Allow me to enlighten you, dear viewers:

Deku could react to Todoroki’s ice, which is hypersonic, and counter it.
Todoroki could react to the air pressure from 100% finger flicks and create ice behind him before it hit him.
Bakugo could react to Shoto’s hypersonic ice and burrow through it without being frozen or even touched. Then fought equally with Shoto.
Bakugo has never gone FTE to any of the students, and Uraraka could fight with him hard enough to make him somewhat serious. All the students scale with Uraraka AT LEAST.

Therefore the class reacting to Wolfram’s big cube is totally legit and not an outlier whatsoever. 1-B scale to this too by being mostly equals. Iida vaguely scales above them all.

/This is sarcasm, I have no idea what I’m talking about./
/Mostly./

I'd like to point out All Might can blitz them without causing any shockwaves or storms.

Final Exam arc, he casually appeared between both 5% Izuku and Bakugo without any effort.
And he's wearing weights meant to slow him down. He even says that it wasn't his top speed.

Edit: What was that?
Doesn’t that mean he can just blitz without 100% speed? Are you assuming he’s using 100%?? Or needs 100% to blitz characters such as early Deku and Bakugo??

I'm saying he doesn't need 100% speed to blitz them.

What do you think I meant?

I've seen some people say they can scale because All Might may not have been going at 100%, which doesn't mean anything since he can blitz them without using 100% speed.

Puts on fedora and eyeliner.

Clearly, it is not an outlier, because Horikoshi wrote the movie. It is perfectly accurate to the power scale. Allow me to enlighten you, dear viewers:

Deku could react to Todoroki’s ice, which is hypersonic, and counter it.
Todoroki could react to the air pressure from 100% finger flicks and create ice behind him before it hit him.
Bakugo could react to Shoto’s hypersonic ice and burrow through it without being frozen or even touched. Then fought equally with Shoto.
Bakugo has never gone FTE to any of the students, and Uraraka could fight with him hard enough to make him somewhat serious. All the students scale with Uraraka AT LEAST.

Therefore the class reacting to Wolfram’s big cube is totally legit and not an outlier whatsoever.

/This is sarcasm, I have no idea what I’m talking about./
/Mostly./
Except, immediately, you run into the issue of todoroki's ice not being hypersonic. It was accepted at supersonic.

So that just means everyone is supersonic, which gives no reasoning for them to react to Wolfram pressuring wounded AM, who can blitz all of them.
Doesn’t that mean he can just blitz without 100% speed? Are you assuming he’s using 100%?? Or needs 100% to blitz characters such as early Deku and Bakugo??
So if he can blitz them at lower percentages, and was trying hard to defeat Wolfram because he was genuinely injured and pressed for time, why on Earth would they scale to his serious speed.

How can you be slower than someone's lower speed, but then be comparable to their top, with no increase in power whatsoever in between.

Back