• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Don't know, it's also slightly possible that Izuku never states what percentage he's using.

Though I noticed when Izuku clashed with Flect, his Air Force gloves are instantly destroyed. Considering they're design to withstand his power at 20%, and that Hatsume made them more durable after his fight with Gentle. I wouldn't be surprised if this was 30%.

Isn’t the “Todoroki makes an ice wall in the literal blink of an eye” calc invalid because Aizawa himself says he has an “interval between uses”, so Todoroki wouldn’t have had to make that ice wall before his eye opened again, theres still a sizeable cool down period for Aizawa due to his USJ injuries. And as soon as that ice wall covered Todoroki and Momo from his POV he wouldnt be able to see them to use his quirk anyway.

The Manga quote directly is: “My lingering aftereffect… I can’t keep my quirk going for long stretches, and I need longer breaks… well…”

Last edited:
I'm certain was agreed that the calc should be dropped, not sure why it didn't go through.

Actually thought it was removed, I haven't checked Todoroki's profile in awhile.

Isn’t the “Todoroki makes an ice wall in the literal blink of an eye” calc invalid because Aizawa himself says he has an “interval between uses”, so Todoroki wouldn’t have had to make that ice wall before his eye opened again, theres still a sizeable cool down period for Aizawa due to his USJ injuries. And as soon as that ice wall covered Todoroki and Momo from his POV he wouldnt be able to see them to use his quirk anyway.
Except that doesn't exclude Todoroki making the entire ice wall in that time. In fact, that's the whole point of her plan: to make the ice wall before Aizawa opens his eyes again. They know he needs to blink more often, and that his power shuts down when he blinks. So Momo's plan was to make the ice wall BEFORE he opens his eyes again, not to partially make it, which is headcanon.

This is further shown by Aizawa's reaction to the ice wall. He does not see the ice wall forming then reacts, he opens his eyes and the wall is already made. You can tell this is the case because his capture tape which he threw out is already beginning to freeze and reach him. He has to take out his knife to cut his capture tape to escape being frozen, and only after doing so notes the ice wall is there mentally.

So to assume the ice wall only partially formed an unknowable amount to block Aizawa's line of sight, but that it also somehow formed far enough that Aizawa couldn't react in time to save his capture tape, but also enough that he could react to cutting his capture tape, is far more assumptions than that the ice wall formed and he reacted when his eyes opened to his tape freezing.

Whether it was removed or not idk, but the logic behind the calc is very much grounded. I find the argument of "he only kinda made it because that's all that would be necessary" to be headcanon since nothing supports it having actually happened, while more things support the full wall being made.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the issue, I think it was something else.

I don't remember.

So you’re comparing Momo’s words to the actual rules of his quirk, and using fancy wording to justify the calc, despite the actual facts of how his quirk works.

And given its a manga, it’s literally impossible to tell how fast the wall appeared, but Aizawa isn’t even SURPRISED by it. The wall appeared fast, yes, but not literal “the interval between someone’s blink and then them opening their eyes” fast. That’s a massive assumption you’re making.

So you’re comparing Momo’s words to the actual rules of his quirk, and using fancy wording to justify the calc, despite the actual facts of how his quirk works.

And given its a manga, it’s literally impossible to tell how fast the wall appeared, but Aizawa isn’t even SURPRISED by it. The wall appeared fast, yes, but not literal “the interval between someone’s blink and then them opening their eyes” fast. That’s a massive assumption you’re making.
Tell me the rules of his quirk? And how what I'm claiming in anyway conflicts with them? If he blinks his quirk turns off and if he can't see you it can't effect you again. So they waited for him to blink then made the ice wall before he opened his eyes back up.

It would be impossible to tell if we didn't have Aizawa's reaction to it immediately after it formed and the statements from Momo about what her plan entailed. Prove the wall didn't appear that fast, I brought up sufficient evidence that it did.

If you're arguing from incredulity with no actual basis to what you're saying other than "nuh uh, no it didn't" then you will not get far debating this topic.

Aizawa needs a break before he activates his Quirk again.

"My lingering aftereffect... I can't keep my Quirk going for long stretches, and I need longer breaks as well..."

He can't instantly turn on his Quirk after opening his eyes, and we don't have any proof that Todoroki made the entire ice wall before Aizawa opened his eyes.

Momo realized Aizawa needed a break between his Quirk usage, because he didn't erase her Quirk when he wrapped her arm up. Aizawa needs some time after opening his eyes before he can use his Quirk again. Todoroki started making his ice when he noticed he could use his Quirk, which meant Aizawa's eyes were closed.

So he made his ice wall before Aizawa could activate Erasure again. But I don't see anything in the page, that said he made the wall before his eyes opened.

I remember, Aizawa needs a break before he activates his Quirk again.

"My lingering aftereffect... I can't keep my Quirk going for long stretches, and I need longer breaks as well..."

He can't instantly turn on his Quirk after opening his eyes, and we don't have any proof that Todoroki made the entire ice wall before Aizawa opened his eyes.

Momo realized Aizawa needed a break between his Quirk usage, because he didn't erase her Quirk when he wrapped her arm up. Aizawa needs some time after opening his eyes before he can use his Quirk again. Todoroki started making his ice when he noticed he could use his Quirk, which meant Aizawa's eyes were closed.

So he made his ice wall before Aizawa could activate Erasure again. But I don't see anything in the page, that said he made the wall before his eyes opened.
If his eyes were open while Todoroki was still making the ice wall, why did he not pull back his capture tape after recognizing what was happening? He sacrificed a large length of his main weapon to something he should've instantly realized.

The entire assumption that he didn't fully make it, but did make enough to only partially block them from view, depends on Aizawa being a literal idiot for a little bit while the ice wall approaches him.

I mean, he's in the air and can't fly.

What is he suppose to do, he can't pull it back because he threw it. Before it can be pulled back he needs to wait for it to reach it's maximum length before being able to bring it back. By that time I imagine his weapon was already frozen, so there was nothing he could do but cut it away.

Aizawa himself stated he needs time before he can use his Quirk again. And we know Todoroki only started making his ice after Aizawa's eyes closed from his blink. Also he scales to Todoroki's ice wall speed, in fact he scales to 8% Izuku who's faster than Todoroki's ice. So him being unable to react to the ice is pretty much impossible.

Considering Momo stated he can create the ice wall before Aizawa opens his eyes though, I think it's safe to say that's what Todoroki did.

Does the Ice wall blink thing even matter anyway?
As Shoto has a faster ice Calc for that key

So whether it gets removed or not I’m at least neutral towards

I mean, he's in the air and can't fly.

What is he suppose to do, he can't pull it back because he threw it. Before it can be pulled back he needs to wait for it to reach it's maximum length before being able to bring it back. By that time I imagine his weapon was already frozen, so there was nothing he could do but cut it away.

Aizawa himself stated he needs time before he can use his Quirk again. And we know Todoroki only started making his ice after Aizawa's eyes closed from his blink. Also he scales to Todoroki's ice wall speed, in fact he scales to 8% Izuku who's faster than Todoroki's ice. So him being unable to react to the ice is pretty much impossible.
But he can extend multiple capture tapes, so he easily could've pulled himself to safety. Also, it's not like he can't maneuver in mid air, he does that numerous times.

I know he can react to things faster than the ice wall, that's why the premise that the ice wall only partially formed is ridiculous to me, because it assumes that Aizawa saw the wall forming and only decided to act when his capture tape had been frozen far further than where it was extended, enough to even be a threat to him and warrant immediately cutting it. If the entire wall was there to begin with, there are far less assumptions to make and it is consistent with his speed.
Does the Ice wall blink thing even matter anyway?
As Shoto has a faster ice Calc for that key

So whether it gets removed or not I’m at least neutral towards
No, it doesn't actually matter anyway.

I don't know any reason to not have the calc, it supports Todoroki's ice being Supersonic in speed. I am against removing supporting calcs from the verse page, since it helps show consistency. Unless someone can jog my memory, it should be fine to use.

"Don't think that we can't use our Quirks, because there'll be an opening, if only for an instant! When he blinks... before he opens his eyes again, that's your chance! You can fire it off in that instant, right, Todoroki?"

This seems pretty clear to me, he made the ice wall before Aizawa's eyes opened.

Except student statements have been hilariously wrong so many times, especially in regards to their teachers. Remember “this group could probably give All Might trouble!” Deku?

Todoroki acted when Aizawa blinked. However, Aizawa needs breaks, this is 100% factual, it’s literally said in the chapter. He also cannot fly and is weighted down and not trying his best against the students either.

Simply: Aizawa’s blink speed >>> Todoroki’s ice creation speed >>>> Aizawa’s movement speed. Aizawa isn’t even surprised by the ice wall and never says he couldn’t react to it. He’s just like, “oh, it’s this attack. Smart move. Welp time to go around.”

Except student statements have been hilariously wrong so many times, especially in regards to their teachers. Remember “this group could probably give All Might trouble!” Deku?

Todoroki acted when Aizawa blinked. However, Aizawa needs breaks, this is 100% factual, it’s literally said in the chapter. He also cannot fly and is weighted down and not trying his best against the students either.

Simply: Aizawa’s blink speed >>> Todoroki’s ice creation speed >>>> Aizawa’s movement speed. Aizawa isn’t even surprised by the ice wall and never says he couldn’t react to it. He’s just like, “oh, it’s this attack. Smart move. Welp time to go around.”
Except he was surprised by it.

"Todoroki's biggest attack...!" < this is surprise. He was not expecting it, which is why he was proud of them in the first place. For acting on his weakness of needing to blink more with a big attack.

What proves his blinks speed is faster than Todoroki's ice speed? If that was the case he wouldn't have even made enough to have cover. You're just saying ungrounded arguments now.

… when did Stain take Todoroki’s attacks? Aside from one flame blast.

Are we forgetting he can regulate his power and temperature?? Not every attack is going to be the same power. That’s basic logic.

Heat doesn't scale to physical durability, Stain dura doesn't scale to whatever fire it is. And flame AP has basically nothing to do with temperature. His flames could be either 8-B or Low 7-C and they'd still do the same amount of damage.

If OFA's energy thing was actually visible why was Uraraka surprised that Izuku was overpowered by Shinso, and why did Izuku had to tell her he wasn't using his Quirk? Why weren't they sure if Monoma had Izuku's Quirk, Uraraka had to restrain him and notice he didn't have super strength to say he was bluffing?

Wouldn’t Uraraka believe Quirkless Deku is > Shinso in strength considering he folded him the last time they fought in physicals alone?? You’re assuming Deku “HAD” to tell her for her to know he wasn’t using his quirk. The words can be interpreted either way.

And false. Monoma told them he had the power before Uraraka fought him. Uraraka went in anyways and noticed he didn’t have the super strength because she slammed him easily to the ground. He also wasn’t showcasing the lightning, except in the anime he was, and in that version of events they reacted to it.

What I expect from Fa Jin in the future.

The quirk has endless potential just based off the martial concepts alone.

Why did Izuku tell her he wasn't using her Quirk? It makes no sense for him to tell her that if she was talking about his Quirkless strength in fact she was shocked to hear he wasn't going to use his Quirk and questioned if he was going to fight Quirkless.

That doesn't matter, in fact it proves my point. If he didn't have lightning even though OFA has lighting visually, why does Uraraka need to check his strength to confirm he was "lying". They'd visually be able to tell he didn't have OFA since there was no lightning, even Izuku who uses OFA was questioning if he took it or not.

Uraraka saw that he, quirkless, was unable to resist against someone he beat quirkless before. He fell. Deku then told her he’s too scared to use his quirk since it’s a danger currently. Nothing about that says Uraraka was thinking he was trying to use his quirk there. She asked him if he was going to fight quirkless because he said he was scared of putting them in danger again.

Because even tho he didn’t have the lightning, aka the excess stockpiled power, he still had the glowing skin and literally shouted “YOUR POWER IS MINE!”. The lightning didn’t use to manifest for Deku nor does it USUALLY manifest for All Might. They barely know the specifics of the quirk themselves. They’re not all knowing.

Anyways all I said was that the lightning was interacting with the ground, something we‘ve seen before, and coming off his tendrils. I won’t read your next response because I’m not interested in this roundabout dance again.

The lightning doesn't matter. Whether it's visible or not, it's just for aesthetic. Unless it gets its own separate feats in the future, these discussions are pretty much pointless.

However we do know OFA has an aura/pressure that Todoroki was able to notice & even directly compare it to All Might's pressure so even if the lightning was not visible, anybody who fought Deku close quarters should be able to tell whether he has his quirk active or not.

They weren't sure that he had OFA. That proves my point even more, if he was glowing to them they wouldn't question if he stole OFA. Since last I check, no one on Monoma's team can make themselves glow. If there was a visual indicator that OFA was being used, Izuku wouldn't be unsure if Monoma had copied OFA or not.

He only realized Monoma did copied OFA, after he was hit by Twin Impact.

Todoroki's thing was some kind of sense, he didn't visual see Izuku use OFA he felt the pressure or whatever.

If Izuku's lightning is a actually thing it'll be stated (Very strange literally no one brings it up), but it's possible for that to change in the future.

Until now, we have no evidence to support his energy/lightning thing is visible to people in universe.

If Izuku's lightning is a actually thing it'll be stated (Very strange literally no one brings it up), but it's possible for that to change in the future.

Until now, we have no evidence to support his energy/lightning thing is visible to people in universe.
How about the numerous times it's shown that his lightning emanates light which is potent enough to light up various surroundings, including his face and hair? Or how his eyes glow periodically when using the quirk. In order for the light to even be given off, there would have to be a source, and this is Deku's lightning. So it's not just some sort of stylistic effect.

Whenever Deku increases his percentage of One for All, the electricity that surrounds him greatly increases. In fact? 100% Full Cowling proves this. Hell, in the anime it is shown that Deku doing 100% Full Cowling causes various debris and rocks to be lifted up in the air. His LITERAL aura is causing this.

And no, you can't say, well, "in JT, Uraraka's reaction to Monmoa trying to use OFA proves that Deku's lighting isn't visible." This has been happening for years, way before JT was even a thing. So you could argue that your example in JT means NOTHING compared to the literal mountains of instances that I have mentioned.

This is a pretty stupid and worthless topic in of itself, but I just thought I'd drop my two cents on it.

Back