• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mushoku Tensei small CTR regarding what is canon and the Sword of Light

So, I know the verse has been dead for a while, but I am planning on doing something about it. (currently making a profile for Orsted and made a few calculations)
This is honestly just the tip of the iceberg on fixing how badly the verse is right now, but I think it would be best to begin correcting a few things which already exist:

The point I want to fix here is this calculation.
It assumes the Sword of Light is Light Speed, but the author recently clarified this is not the case:
Q: Good evening, Dr. Rifujin. Today, a friend of mine asked me a question about Mushoku, and I wasn't sure how to answer it. He said, "The sword of light in the Sword God Style has a set speed of light speed, right? But how did the people in the other world measure the speed of the sword? How did they know the speed of light in the first place?

A: In that world, there are spirits of light, beings that can become light itself and move, so as far as the speed of light is concerned, we can compare it with them.

With this knowledge, I think it is sufficient to answer, "Well, maybe the people of Sword God School just call it the speed of light without permission.”

So, if we accept the tweeter answers are canon, it can’t be used, simple as that.

Last edited:
They didn't need any scientific tools to come to the conclusion that light, is moving at light speed

I see nothing the author has said that discredits that fact, so it stays

Um, what? What "light" are you referring to?

The author literally says "the sword God style calls it the speed of light on their own"
It can even be translated as "because they don't know what they are talking about"

It doesn't even contradict what the story says, as Sword of Lights are always shown to vary in speed, and the in-verse explanation of what the Sword of Light is doesn't support it either, as it is literally just a slash focusing all your power, nothing else.
There is no minimum speed requirement(that we know of, at least) for a slash to be considered a Sword of Light either, so the weirder assumption is that all Sword of Lights needs to be above a certain speed.

Furthermore, there aren't even that many quotes saying the Sword of Light is light speed for it to be such a fundamental thing.

As far as I remember, there are only two in the main Novel, one in volume two, which Rudeus even states it is only "said to be" light speed, and a quote implying the Sword God can swing a sword as fast as light, which is not contradicted by anything since Rifujin said Gall's Sword of Light is as fast as light when he answered a question from someone using this exact quote asking if Gall is light speed.

Thinking about it, the LN two quote is not even really contradicted, since the rumour could just as well have been talking about the first Sword God's Sword of Light, who we know is faster than Gall.

Last edited:
Back