• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most downplayed character

@Teen

Didn't 1st Form Frieza's Supernova only hit the surface of planet Vegeta? Is that really an argument people use?

Oh the phantom theives from persona 5 also get downplayed I see them being called the weakest or second weakest persona group a lot

@Assalt

Unfortunately...

Just like how they argue with statements:

City level characters claims to destroy a planet = Legit

Solar System level character says they'll destroy the planet = Outlier/Hyperbole

Even if it only hit the core, the KE would still be 5-A to High 5-A, so it isn't even valid.

But... I mean... we can literally see it right here. It doesn't hit the core, it hits the side, goes into the planet like 1000 kilometers at best, and then it explodes.

Kepekley23 said:
Even if it only hit the core, the KE would still be 5-A to High 5-A, so it isn't even valid.
I know, but some like to think that shattering the core somehow sends the planet flying into space. Seeing it destroyed without the core being hit cements it as Frieza's power, not some chain-reaction.

Kepekley23 said:
Word of God said Papaya Island was the size of a small continent.
Calcs put it at the size of a large mountain.

Guess which one got accepted?
No that's wrong, it was both calc and stated to be a small continent that's why Piccolo and Goku were upgrade to Low 6-B.

The person who made it a large mountain never even existed since they were previously Large Island level because Papaya Island had multiple visible mountains.

I've seen quite a bit of Ultra Instinct downplay. There are a lot of people who somehow think SSB Kaioken x 5 is stronger than Ultra Instinct or that Ultra Instinct doesn't even increase Goku's strength at all.

For god's sake. He went from getting shitstomped to having a chance against Jiren. How can someone even REMOTELY suggest that?

Yeah that is very weird; even weirder than the fact that I almost though you said Killer Instinct downplay. That is that too though.

@Kep Part of it is because people don't understand powerscaling at all so they get hyped over "Woah! It took FIVE people to beat Anilaza!". Another I'd assume is just people who want to downplay Ultra Instinct cause they can't cope with how strong Kefla became. But yeah I've seen these arguments over and over on YouTube and they're quite annoying lol

I understand why people are skeptical towards powerscaling.

From an outside perspective, it seems ridiculous to have a character being ranked as 2-C via scaling to the guy who is comparable to the guy who took hits from the guy who married the gal who smacked the guy who is comparable to the other guy who is in turn comparable to these three other dudes, all of which could curbstomp these guys, ad infinitum.

Plus a lot of times when a character beats another character, it may seem like PIS 99% of the time. It's a huge, undying trend in fiction that the good guy has to win, especially when it comes to Nintendo franchises or children's shows that need happy endings.

Well, I understand being skepical about powerscaling character after character from one feat.

However, when they refuse even the most direct, blatant powerscaling is what ticks me off. Like, people admitting Beerus and Goku are Universe level, but Vegeta and Whis aren't.

Paulo.junior.969 said:
Cthulhu. Seriously, people need to stop saying that you can kill him with a boat, because no, you can't.
You can if that boat gives you immunity to mind hax, is large star level, and can get past Low-Godly regen.

TeenAngel101 said:
However, when they refuse even the most direct, blatant powerscaling is what ticks me off. Like, people admitting Beerus and Goku are Universe level, but Vegeta and Whis aren't.
Well of course, I'm not saying their reasoning is valid. I'm just saying that it makes sense from an outside perspective. DBZ is a series that is super easy to powerscale, as everything is extremely straight forward, so if you deny Vegeta being on par with Goku, I don't know what to tell you.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
I understand why people are skeptical towards powerscaling.

From an outside perspective, it seems ridiculous to have a character being ranked as 2-C via scaling to the guy who is comparable to the guy who took hits from the guy who married the gal who smacked the guy who is comparable to the other guy who is in turn comparable to these three other dudes, all of which could curbstomp these guys, ad infinitum.

Plus a lot of times when a character beats another character, it may seem like PIS 99% of the time. It's a huge, undying trend in fiction that the good guy has to win, especially when it comes to Nintendo franchises or children's shows that need happy endings.
Nintendo is far from happy endings

Badboybilly1000 said:
Nintendo is far from happy endings
I'm gonna have to call baloney on that.

Count to me every Mario. Kirby, and Pokemon game that has a happy ending. I guarantee you the Nintendo games with bad endings where good loses to evil will look like outlying points, if they even exist at all. Heck, even the MOTHER Trilogy has happy endings, despite being one of the more sad and dark games that the company has to offer. Even if the games are dark, the good eventually prevails at some point.

You seem to have misinterpreted my point. My point is that it's a general rule of fiction for the protagonist to prevail, which is why 99% of the time it may seem like PIS for a character to beat another; even if it makes sense, it's always for the convenience of the plot, which is my guess as to why some may not glorify powerscaling as much.

I understand your point but its fiction where good all ways win but for one minute look at what some the heros fight for( kirby rampages for a pieice of cake ) and the villians reason and see whos the good and whos evil

Many Fire Emblem games actually have quite dark elements; protagonists are often forced to kill their own family members due to warfare and some of those said characters having their own free will stolen from them. So Nintendo isn't exactly 100% rainbows and flowers. And even Mario can be pretty dark at times; take Super Paper Mario and Partners in Time for example.

And of course, back to Fire Emblem, several main villains are evil villains due to their deep, depressing back stories. So the whole good guys always win trope is not a good excuse to consider their victory PIS.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Many Fire Emblem games actually have quite dark elements; protagonists are often forced to kill their own family members due to warfare and some of those said characters having their own free will stolen from them. So Nintendo isn't exactly 100% rainbows and flowers. And even Mario can be pretty dark at times; take Super Paper Mario and Partners in Time for example.

And of course, back to Fire Emblem, several main villains are evil villains due to their deep, depressing back stories. So the whole good guys always win trope is not a good excuse to consider their victory PIS.
Wasn't the OG Mario a circus master who kidnapped DK's kid?

Lightbuster30 said:
Wasn't the OG Mario a circus master who kidnapped DK's kid?
nah, that was his father, mario is as old as DK the third, as seen in yoshi's island, and he original DK is connically the grandfather of modern DK, so there's no way that was super mario

ArbitraryNumbers said:
I'm gonna have to call baloney on that.

Count to me every Mario. Kirby, and Pokemon game that has a happy ending. I guarantee you the Nintendo games with bad endings where good loses to evil will look like outlying points, if they even exist at all. Heck, even the MOTHER Trilogy has happy endings, despite being one of the more sad and dark games that the company has to offer. Even if the games are dark, the good eventually prevails at some point.

You seem to have misinterpreted my point. My point is that it's a general rule of fiction for the protagonist to prevail, which is why 99% of the time it may seem like PIS for a character to beat another; even if it makes sense, it's always for the convenience of the plot, which is my guess as to why some may not glorify powerscaling as much.

i said that majora's mask (Legend of the zelda game, made by nintendo), got some bad ending too, if you dont let the moon stop from landing, termina would we destroyed, aswell as poor link, which is a victim, for this

Like I said, the Bad Ending of Majora's Mask is an outlying point compared to all of the Mario, Kirby, and Pokemon games that have happy endings. Saying Ninendo is "far from happy endings" is clearly a false statement, even if some games are pretty dark.

Even then; it's the BAD ending. It ends because the player didn't accomplish the required tasks in time; it's meant to pressure the player into achieving the good ending; it's not what canonically happens.

Regardless I'm dropping this. It's derailed the thread long enough.

Oh yeah, I should also mention that almost every character who's Tier 5 to Tier 4 feats come from causing a solar eclipse also get downplayed quite frequently. Like for example, Tengu Shredder and Wuya are 5-A to High 5-A respectively due to those feats, but many people both on and off site; including a couple retired staff, seem to ignore then difference between AP and Destructive Capacity. I suppose we downgrade nearly every single verse except for Dragon Ball by that logic ^^

Trxfulds said:
"Android 17 and Caulifla are not even stronger than high Buu Saga tier."
Hold my beer.

"SSJ2 Kefla is weaker than SSJ3 Goku"

Ultimate Gohan is called the "Saikyou no Senshi", which literally translates to "Mightiest Warrior", so he is stronger than Zen'o. He was obviously suppressing his power when he fought Gotenks-absorbed Boo.

Back