• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mortal Kombat 1 Discussion Thread

Or we just assume this is a new Mileena unrelated to the original like most of the cast and make new ratings for these versions

Or we just assume this is a new Mileena unrelated to the original like most of the cast and make new ratings for these versions
We know this is a new Mileena, the issues with scaling have nothing to do with the previous version of the cast the issues are with stuff like Mileena > Dark Sindel > Several people at once including Kenshi, and Kenshi could beat Mileena. So it becomes circular, which isn't new because MK has always had really messy scaling.

Now that you mentioned that... wouldn't that mean mk1 KOTLK has much better scaling hence more powerful than he was previously back in mk11?
I’d argue so
I always thought of Sindel as an Edenian god worthy of scaling to the High 8-Cs.
yeah in MK11 that’s absolutely how she’s booked
Either that or we assume Mileena somehow grew stronger by that point. But even then, good Sindel was pretty much even to the evil one, she just got sucker punched, and she has little reasons to having grown stronger.

NRS once again causes headaches with circular scaling.
my guess is Sindel can be a split rating
The mechanics of Shang's empowerment through soul absorption aren't linear, numerical or such, simply because they wouldn't add up otherwise. Liu Kang has himself, Raiden, his weaker self and the Jinsei, which probably gave him most of the bulk, as Shang in turn had his power and that of Shao, Sindel, Raiden, Fujin (only part of the latter two), Kronika (+Cetrion) and the Crown.

Anyway, the biggest gripe to deal with right now is the High 8-C scaling through MK11 Raiden, who appears as one of Titan Shang's croonies and gets clobbered by Mileena. Should we consider her stronger at that point, or allow backscaling to when got beaten by other people in previous instances?
The current heroes battle another bunch of Dark Timeliners, but unlike Dark Raiden they look like edgier versions of those from Liu Kang's timeline, so new people entirely (even though Shao uses his hammer instead of the axe).
Dark Sindel makes a clown out of Liu Kang, so that might be another reason to scale her to High 8-C.
I also wonder if High 8-C is even viable now as a rating

Since I plan to make a profile for Mk 1 Shang, how should we call the 2023 characters? Something like Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat 1)?

Either that or New Era.
Anyway, we should figure out a scaling that accomodates everyone before making actual files.

Finally got the game, about 40% through story mode

What's scaling looking like? Tier 9? 8 maybe? 2 for the top guys?

Also, it seems like Johnny's powers got retconned into being just visual effects and not supernatural. X and 11 leaned into it being a supernatural force given by his genes, but he's surprised to learn magic exists in MK1 despite shadowkicking people before then

I don't like to double post but I have thoughts,

We're in for a lot of revisions! From what I can tell, our current MK profiles are a composite of the OG timeline and new timeline (not MK1), so those either need to be deleted or completely revamped into just one timeline.

There are four timelines in the main series alone; OG (MK-Armageddon), Reboot (2011-11), New Era (MK1), and... Mortal Kombat Vs. DC...

OG seems to have a mountain of 9-A and 8-C feats already calced on the site. However, I do want to suggest adding an Armageddon key for at least Shao Khan and Raiden, as they were able to defeat Blaze, who has a 6-B feat (according to the profile), a 4-A feat and a few potential Low 2-C feats. Given every character can face Blaze and get an ending for it, I think they could get a key where they scale to him/get his power. If not, Shao and Raiden at least deserve one for being the ones to canonically survive Blaze's battle.

Reboot also has a good bit of calcs already on the site, also mainly 9-A to 8-C. I don't remember much of anything from X, and so don't know much about alternative scaling from that game. We seem to already have the Hourglass and Elder God stuff handled though

Haven't finished MK1 yet, but it seems 9-A to 8-C also? Imma wait till I beat the story mode to think about scaling

And then MK VS. DC. I haven't played it in forever, so I can't remember many feats, but if I had to guess, basic stuff ranging from 9-B to 8-C. However, Dark Khan has a 2-C feat, and characters can fight him so... 2-C cast maybe? If we can't scale them to that though, I'm sure there are lightning feats and stuff. This game was stated to be canon in an interview, was referenced multiple times in 11, and was explicitly shown in 1 (or so I've heard), so it happens in the same multiverse

So characters that have been in all four timelines will be getting four profiles
  • Johnny Cage (Original Timeline)
  • Johnny Cage (Reboot)
  • Johnny Cage (New Era)
  • Johnny Cage (Mortal Kombat Vs. DC)
Characters who weren't in MKvDC get three
  • Rain (Original Timeline)
  • Rain (Reboot)
  • Rain (New Era)
Some only have two
  • Geras
  • Geras (New Era)
And some poor souls like Meat, Mokap, and Chameleon only have one timeline to speak of

This is just my take and understanding of how this is gonna go

A lot of work overall, but I think we can do it

Ain't MK vs DC canon to reboot?
I should put together various sources, such as tweets, interviews and Injustice quotes, but it surely isn't to the timeline rebooted in MK9.
Iirc it's canon as something that has happened at some point, as one of the many timelines that went on under Kronika's rule, but it has no real ties to other games.

Since I plan to make a profile for Mk 1 Shang, how should we call the 2023 characters? Something like Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat 1)?
Either that or New Era.
Anyway, we should figure out a scaling that accomodates everyone before making actual files.
I like New Era. Rolls off the tounge.
Aye, New Era is best and it’s a Canon term which helps us out even more. Also do we have a Dairou profile? I ask because Havik would fall under that since we know he’s Dairou in this timeline
I should put together various sources, such as tweets, interviews and Injustice quotes, but it surely isn't to the timeline rebooted in MK9.
Iirc it's canon as something that has happened at some point, as one of the many timelines that went on under Kronika's rule, but it has no real ties to other games.
Yeah I’d say that too, at best it gets profiles for it’s versions of the characters
I don't like to double post but I have thoughts,

We're in for a lot of revisions! From what I can tell, our current MK profiles are a composite of the OG timeline and new timeline (not MK1), so those either need to be deleted or completely revamped into just one timeline.
Yeah we’ve been working in this for a while, the delay being due to interest and shenanigans
There are four timelines in the main series alone; OG (MK-Armageddon), Reboot (2011-11), New Era (MK1), and... Mortal Kombat Vs. DC...
Yep, plus we could also do profiles for external media (Lowkey I want to do the old movies and Legacy)
OG seems to have a mountain of 9-A and 8-C feats already calced on the site. However, I do want to suggest adding an Armageddon key for at least Shao Khan and Raiden, as they were able to defeat Blaze, who has a 6-B feat (according to the profile), a 4-A feat and a few potential Low 2-C feats. Given every character can face Blaze and get an ending for it, I think they could get a key where they scale to him/get his power. If not, Shao and Raiden at least deserve one for being the ones to canonically survive Blaze's battle.
I think the consensus is everyone gets a key for Armageddon, all the characters grew in power and we see there’s no real gap anymore with Johhny beating Shinnok.
Reboot also has a good bit of calcs already on the site, also mainly 9-A to 8-C. I don't remember much of anything from X, and so don't know much about alternative scaling from that game. We seem to already have the Hourglass and Elder God stuff handled though
Mostly but I’m curious on the profile
Haven't finished MK1 yet, but it seems 9-A to 8-C also? Imma wait till I beat the story mode to think about scaling
Bout that, though there’s a 7-B feat for Rain which is a bit fucky
And then MK VS. DC. I haven't played it in forever, so I can't remember many feats, but if I had to guess, basic stuff ranging from 9-B to 8-C. However, Dark Khan has a 2-C feat, and characters can fight him so... 2-C cast maybe? If we can't scale them to that though, I'm sure there are lightning feats and stuff. This game was stated to be canon in an interview, was referenced multiple times in 11, and was explicitly shown in 1 (or so I've heard), so it happens in the same multiverse

So characters that have been in all four timelines will be getting four profiles
  • Johnny Cage (Original Timeline)
  • Johnny Cage (Reboot)
  • Johnny Cage (New Era)
  • Johnny Cage (Mortal Kombat Vs. DC)
I’d note Titan Havik would also get a profile since he’s the big bad of the upcoming DLC and already has some solid scaling via leaks.
Characters who weren't in MKvDC get three
  • Rain (Original Timeline)
  • Rain (Reboot)
  • Rain (New Era)
Aye sounds good
Some only have two
  • Geras
  • Geras (New Era)
Sounds good but I think Geras variants who get a lot story wise could also do with profiles.
And some poor souls like Meat, Mokap, and Chameleon only have one timeline to speak of
Rip

Actually dum question, would we have a tabber just for “games” or would it be”mainline, spin-offs, live action, animation” for the disambiguating thing

Khameleon is already in the game as an Umgadi member and has a few fights in the story. She will officially make it in as Kameo soon, meanwhile Reptile's ending teased manipulator-type villain Chameleon.

Not really relevant but I have a question in regards to the MKX Xenomorph. How skilled do we consider it to be? Do we just assume it killed all the fighters it faced with raw power or did it legitimately defeat them in fair fights of combat skill? I ask this because it's intelligence rating isn't separated in general intelligence and combat intelligence like other profiles do but mention it being extremely combat savvy despite its low intellect.

Not really relevant but I have a question in regards to the MKX Xenomorph. How skilled do we consider it to be? Do we just assume it killed all the fighters it faced with raw power or did it legitimately defeat them in fair fights of combat skill? I ask this because it's intelligence rating isn't separated in general intelligence and combat intelligence like other profiles do but mention it being extremely combat savvy despite its low intellect.
You mean it and others like it in its hive beat other fighters

Alien doesn't do fair fights as a savage animal iirc, idk about its skill because I don't remember its exact moveset and its details though it does have intelligent use of its own abilities in its three variations

You mean it and others like it in its hive beat other fighters

Alien doesn't do fair fights as a savage animal iirc, idk about its skill because I don't remember its exact moveset and its details though it does have intelligent use of its own abilities in its three variations
The one shown in the custcene that beats Shinnok is the one that just uses Baraka's fighting style combined with the natural combat style of the Xenomorphs.

It's a mix of both, because it's much less animalistic than a normal Alien, both in demeanor and fighting style, while still remaining a dumb beast.
It could very well have powered its way through all enemies, but his fighting style is indeed rephined in movements, attacks and combos, as well as the various moves it uses.

It's kind of like Jason and Leatherface, they're psychos and brawlers but still capable enough to take the life of Shinnok, Liu Kang, Cassie etc... without any specific indication of them being absolute powerhouses.

It's a mix of both, because it's much less animalistic than a normal Alien, both in demeanor and fighting style, while still remaining a dumb beast.
It could very well have powered its way through all enemies, but his fighting style is indeed rephined in movements, attacks and combos, as well as the various moves it uses.

It's kind of like Jason and Leatherface, they're psychos and brawlers but still capable enough to take the life of Shinnok, Liu Kang, Cassie etc... without any specific indication of them being absolute powerhouses.
So just assume it's incredibly competent with the necessary power to back up it's not exactly top of the tier skill? I really think we should note that it's gifted in combat skill since the justification makes it sound like it picked these moves up from both simple observation and trial and error.

Now that I think about it, didn't Cetrion said the time merger has weakened the elder gods in 11? Which is why far weaker characters can fight her?

Now that I think about it, didn't Cetrion said the time merger has weakened the elder gods in 11? Which is why far weaker characters can fight her?
I don't remember that but then again I barely remember anything about 11's story since I found it boring.

Back