• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mortal Kombat 1 Discussion Thread

Hi, I haven't been keeping up with scaling or the thread, but this seemed like a better place to ask than any;

How will the timeline reset effect profiles? As in, will Johnny Cage be split into two (three?) keys for each timeline? Like an Original | Mortal Kombat 2009 | Mortal Kombat 1 key?

I know characters like Michael Myers and Leatherface have different profiles for different continuitues entirely, but in a weird way, there's only been one main MK continuity, time just resets twice

They're gonna have different files because they are different versions of the same character.
They have different stories, abilities and such, too much for a single file and also wrong, since they are technically different people.

In ya boi's, Shao's fatality, he basically spins the body fast enough that collage fibres break off to itty bits. That's gonna warrant a ridiculous lifting strength and maybe speed.

I guess they don't change much, but that's still two different timelines isn't it?

If we need to separate the timelines, it should be MK-Armageddon, 2009-MK11, and MK1
In MK9, time rewinds back to the first tournament after Shao Kahn wins Armageddon but the timeline remains the same, as do the characters. In MK1, Liu Kang actually creates the timeline so its the first new timeline and can have separate profiles for the characters.

In MK11, several characters are pulled out from the OG tournament and they fight the newer versions of themselves so they scale.

In MK9, time rewinds back to the first tournament after Shao Kahn wins Armageddon but the timeline remains the same, as do the characters. In MK1, Liu Kang actually creates the timeline so its the first new timeline and can have separate profiles for the characters.

In MK11, several characters are pulled out from the OG tournament and they fight the newer versions of themselves so they scale.
It doesn't rewind its just his memories were sent into the past.

Logically it should be the same but due to the studio changes we have to treat them separately.

In MK9, time rewinds back to the first tournament after Shao Kahn wins Armageddon but the timeline remains the same, as do the characters
There are some notable changes, and it may not be a new timeline, but it's still a timeline reset. Personally, I think they should be split into different profiles because they have different feats and powers. The MK9 timeline also has stuff like Cyber Sub-Zero that isn't seen in the OG timeline

Ed Boon said this:

"Raiden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn, and just before he delivers the last blow, Raiden sends a mental message to his earlier self by saying that he must win, and the camera rewinds back to Mortal Kombat 1. The Raiden from Mortal Kombat 1 then gets the message and experiences a premonition. The game then spans Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3, retelling the story with an enlightened Raiden, who has changed the course of events. Eventually, everything the player has seen happen before — Liu Kang winning, Lin Kuei turning into cybernetic ninjas, has been altered. You might see a cybernetic character who wasn't before, and a different version of events."

It's an alternate timeline that differs from the OG storyline

I can see it working either way though, maybe we'd do what we do for Michael Myers?

It doesn't rewind its just his memories were sent into the past.

Logically it should be the same but due to the studio changes we have to treat them separately.
Its the same franchise and Ed Boon has remained as the shot caller the whole time. Several games have changed studios, it doesn't mean anything, its the same verse.

We have already nailed down the stats and stuff for for the mk1 - armageddon profiles, they'll come eventually.
And yes, the characters will have at least 3 profiles.

And yes, logically it's the same timeline until mk11, but we can't ignore how mk9 forward has added characters where they shouldn't have been, changed past and future events in ways not influenced by normal choices, changed personalities (coff coff Sindel), changed the cosmology and so on.

Story wise it's meant to be the same, but as a matter of fact, it is not.

Probably

my guess is it’d be

Midway Era

netherRealm Trilogy (MK9 - 11)

New Era (M1K onwards)

Each having different profiles. We could use certain elements cross timeline but the gist is they should be treated as their own things more or less

He's mostly physical damage based unlike his previous version who had all the soul magic down but I think his new mad scientist skills have potential. He discovered the well of souls too but who knows what he'll do with it
Probably develop his sorcery and grow in power, maybe even take over the whole timeline

I also like the more alchemist moveset he has, since he doesn't have the same occult mastery as his other self he relies more on martial arts and concoctions, it's a neat idea

So I'm kind of missing out on 7 pages worth of discussion, but I do have 2 questions about scaling

1. Are statements made during intros to fights allowed to be used as feats? Because other verses like Marvel Vs. Capcom has things that characters say in their intros count as feats (Scaling Wolverine & Hulk to each other because Wolverine said "this time it ain't ending in a draw" in an intro, Scaling Ultron to Marvel Characters due to saying that he has faught diffrent Avengers before in intro dialouge, ect.). Will a simular thing apply to Mortal Kombat or no?

2. Are we going to be using fatalities to powerscale characters or no? I remember that we said that we didn't because they're non-canon, but is that being changed or are we keeping it that way?

So I'm kind of missing out on 7 pages worth of discussion, but I do have 2 questions about scaling

1. Are statements made during intros to fights allowed to be used as feats? Because other verses like Marvel Vs. Capcom has things that characters say in their intros count as feats (Scaling Wolverine & Hulk to each other because Wolverine said "this time it ain't ending in a draw" in an intro, Scaling Ultron to Marvel Characters due to saying that he has faught diffrent Avengers before in intro dialouge, ect.). Will a simular thing apply to Mortal Kombat or no?

2. Are we going to be using fatalities to powerscale characters or no? I remember that we said that we didn't because they're non-canon, but is that being changed or are we keeping it that way?
I've watched most of the intros and so far there isn't anything like what you've said in them, but story mode takes precedence over everything else

Dunno yet

@ThePrimalHunter if the fatalities are done canonically in the story mode, they can be used to scale the characters. If not then they can’t be used. Even worse when said fatalities can go against the level of power the characters are at, like Smoke’s suicide fatality being stronger than Raiden’s suicide feat in Deception which is canonical, is shown blowing up the dragon king temple and killing Shang Tsung.

I thought we were allowed to use stuff from fighting game versus modes? We use stuff from Smash Ultimate's and Marvel Vs. Capcom's versus modes iirc

We could probably do "(Tier), higher with (Fatality)" couldn't we?

MvC is in its own bubble because the canon is funky, so it gets some special passes.
I've always been on for using fighting game quotes as long as they don't contradict the main canon and abite to it, or aren't specifically biased because of game mechanics (like win quotes and bragging rights).

My stance on fatalities is that they should still be used, even if with a grain of salt. The most notable examples would be Cetrion's planet size stuff or Liu Kang's black hole, whose inclusion in the profiles I totally support, but with the clause of not using them for main ap (as both are clearly specific attacks) and specify in the notes of wherever that they're mostly gameplay only things, so they might be fully out of character or not canon outright.
I still feel they should be included though.

Fatalities were people tear each other apart are more credible to me, since it sort of happens in canon too, although not as often. The you have shit like Geras not being able to lift a class 1 or 5 (at best) chain, but that's another story.

How do the feats of the canon before MK9 fare to the canon of MK9-11?
I can recall some stuff that should easily get 9-A/8-C for the main cast, but not much beyond that in terms of stuff that'd scale to everyone

Unless we give them a "With Blaze's power" key, in which case they can get stuff ranging from 6-B to 4-A. Canonically only Shao gets it though

Off topic of this question, but I just remembered that MKvDC is it's own continuity too. This means that characters like Johnny and Kano can get around 4 profiles from the main series games alone

I'll definitely help out with the revisions best I can, I'd love to make profiles for some of them

So where does titan liu kang and Shang tsung scale are their profiles going to be updated liu kang said he was more powerful then all the elder gods combined and Shang tsung said that during their battle they released mammoth energies which ripped apart the time line creating a multiverse

So where does titan liu kang and Shang tsung scale are their profiles going to be updated liu kang said he was more powerful then all the elder gods combined and Shang tsung said that during their battle they released mammoth energies which ripped apart the time line creating a multiverse
Their titan self should be above everyone else, like other titans

@ArkhamDC06 unless he does it canonically, we can’t really use it to scale his power. We can just upscale Liu Kang without the time powers from Rain’s canonical ending of flooding order realm’s capital.

It's the giant Cetrion thing again, character could be busted with impressive abilities but we can't because we can't tell if that's canonical

At the very least the intro should give FG Liu some upgrade since he's openly stated to have created the current universe and the statement is repeated throughout the game

Yeah iirc during MK11 one or several developers said fatalities are non-canon exaggerations of what the characters are normally capable of.

Like, canonically Jax can't actually grow himself to 50 feet in size to crush people beneath his boot like he can in his MK2 and now MK1 fatalities.

Might as well ask my question:

Firstly would Liu Kang's age be "Unknown, at least billions of years old (Created a new era that took "eons ago")" and secondly assuming that all Tower Endings are cannon (Kuai Liang's marriage to Harumi does get mentioned in several intros) would take mean Liu Kang's type 1 immortality gets removed and replaced by Longevity?

Back