• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mind manipulators and resistance

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
Can someone find me a single instance in fiction where an on-guard mind manipulator (who's mind powers come from their mind and not magic or some other method) gets manipulated by someone of equal or lesser potency without a mental struggle ensuing? Because in hindsight, I don't recall this happening like, ever. In anything.

Basically that people who use Mindhax like never just get mindhaxed if they have their guard up

To which I say, show me the feats of him being able to wage a mental war instead of literally just mindhaxing and we can talk.

That said, there's a lot of instances to talk about.

DMUA said:
Basically that people who use Mindhax like never just get mindhaxed if they have their guard up

To which I say, show me the feats of him being able to wage a mental war instead of literally just mindhaxing and we can talk.

That said, there's a lot of instances to talk about.
That's what I asked for. Not the rest.

I mean

Everyone who has feats of mental battle

Have resistance

If they don't, they should be added

What I'm getting at is providing me any mental manipulator who's powers come from the mind getting mind manipulated without being in a mental struggle.

What he's getting at is that every mind user should have resistance to mind manipulation up to their level.

Proof of Burden I think that's called.

Unless you're just wondering and not seeking general revision by which case then

Idunno really

I know only of theoretical examples. In Inheritance resistance to mind attacks and the ability to do mind attacks is completely separate. Eragon could enter other beings mind before being taught how to defend against someone else doing that to him.

The Fanghur also seemed to have basically no resistance to mind attacks (not suprising given that the mind defense practices of the verse require concentration an animal would lack), while their mind attacks were at least enough to make Eragon set up shields.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
What he's getting at is that every mind user should have resistance to mind manipulation up to their level.
Argument from Ignorance fallacy much.

DontTalkDT said:
I know only of theoretical examples. In Inheritance resistance to mind attacks and the ability to do mind attacks is completely separate. Eragon could enter other beings mind before being taught how to defend against someone else doing that to him.
It is true the abilities are separate, but I want to point out that mental strength is important for both of those.

Destiny's Vex just got completely overrun when Oryx sent one taken. You can also Artifact of Perun the weak ones without a hitch.

To be fair, the taken can mess with and infect far more than the mind, and Vex mindhax is a bit different in execution, but it's still an example.

There's also how the Culexus Assassin gave Ahzek Ahriman siwzures and spasms despite ahriman being in a different solar system and happening to get really unlucky with where he projected himself. Ahriman's own mental potency is immense and still got ****** over by the blank because it's a blank.

In bloodborne, the Hunter can inflict Frenzy. While he does have a resistance, it's to the point and it's not like a mental struggle thing. The brain of Mensis will drive you insane in seconds, having the Bloodletter doesn't change that.

In Magic: The Gathering, Jace would have succeeded in prying into Liliana's mind were it not for the Raven Man (due to the status of which it is unclear if this is resistance for Liliana or for the Chain Veil), despite Liliana being able to mess around with the mind herself.

Just going to say that if a Mind is strong enough to hax other minds at an X level, the user's own mind shouldnt be any weaker than what they can mind hax. It's like saying I can unleash planet level energy, but I can't take on that much energy.

Well here we have some examples of unbalanced potencies. Also there's characters like Jace skewed in the other rdirection, with massive resistances that don't match their potencies. Mental glass cannons can exist.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Just going to say that if a Mind is strong enough to hax other minds at an X level, the user's own mind shouldnt be any weaker than what they can mind hax. It's like saying I can unleash planet level energy, but I can't take on that much energy.
What you say?

Yeah but that's something that doesnt work both ways. Lets see if I can say this better....

Just because you can withstand something you release doesn't mean you can release what you can withstand. If that makes any sense?

Yeah but that's something that doesnt work both ways. Lets see if I can say this better....

Just because you can withstand something you release doesn't mean you can release what you can withstand. If that makes any sense?
Boi

I was joking

Yobobojojo said:
What you say?
The way I saw it, his 2-A rating is from a hax ability, its not an AP/Power based move. If it was, he would be 2-A normally.

See the Vex example. While they can drive even a Guardian insane, that didn't save them from being Taken.

Yobobojojo said:

Boi
I was joking
This was directed at Wokistan, not you.

Culexus assassin's are weird, but against a non daemon, non psyker, they'd be hopelessly outmatched mindhax wise compared to Ahzek. Too had Ahzek's an alpha level psyker.

Back