• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Merlin takes this since they're fairly similar in speed and AP but Merlin has the edge in hax and versatility. This could also end very quickly and easily if Merlin casts 'Perfect Cube' around herself and Tatsumaki uses a strong attack.

Merlin has the clear advantage in hax and experience while not being that slower/weaker so... Voting for her.

could go either way depending on condition

random encounter Tatsumaki mid diff

with prep Merlin mid diff

comparison:

Tier lvl: Tats

Abilities: Tie. Mer has more abilities + hax, Tats has more power output + instakill

Attack potency: Tats

Speed: Tie

Durability: Tats (insignificant since Merlin doesn't rely on damage spells)

Range: Tats (insignificant in the fight since they are both within 100m each other)

Intelligence: Merlin

fight analysis:

If you would look at both their profiles then you'd have difinitely come to the conclusion that Merlin would win despite Tatsumaki being significantly stronger. And that's correct, that is the very definition of hax, and Merlin has a lot of them, BUT, Merlin can only win this if she uses the correct spells in the correct succession. If Merlin could cast a Perfect cube at the start of the fight then she could secure herself a win (assuming that it prevents telekinetic power from entering), all she has to do now is spam her skills on Tatsumaki. If Merlin decides to attack Tatsumaki first, then she'll get blitzed because her spells have a cast time (galan expoited this) and will definitely take some damage since Tatsumaki is stronger than her, oh and Tatsumaki has an instakill.

At Random Encounter: Higher chance that Merlin will make a mistake (same with Galan) and high chance that Tasumaki will instakill her.

With Prep Time: Merlin gains definite advantage since she is WAY smarter, High chance that she would be using the proper spells this time.

Since it does not state in the conditions I would assume this is a random encounter and my vote goes to Tatsumaki.

Note: IF Merlin had the same mindset as Ainz (overlord), where she focuses on defense first and avoids making any mistake (which is the correct mindset for a fragile caster) then she could take this even in random encounter. Unfortunately that is not the case as we could see in the Galan fight. With her abilities she could easily beat Galan, but because she made a mistake in choosing her spells she lost.

TLDR; Merlin has more spells to throw at Tatsumaki, Tatsumaki could defeat Merlin in 1 Attack.

I see it isn't fixed yet but Merlin's page is inaccurate (as with many others on this site). Merlin doesn't have a time stop ability, what she has is a passive that gives her spells infinite duration upon cast (basically the same but the implication is different). Seriously it may cause confusion especially for anime only nnt debaters. I mean if she has one then she'd win this easy.

edit> I just reread the chapter and it seems that she does have time stopping ability (she said so herself) although it seems to be limited in stopping her own aging. Although i'm confused as to whether she has infinite magic capacity or Infinity is simply a name of for her magic.

edit> according to nnt wiki Infinity is indeed a name for her magic. It stops the time of her spells (infinite duration). Apart from that spell (and the spell to stop aging) she has no other forms of time stopping (as of now).

tldr: Infinity is a time stopping spell but it is not a "time stop" as far as vs battle is concerned.

that would be new to me, the version i saw was this:

http://www.***********.net/nanatsu-no-taizai/191/11

and her unique magic "infinity" didnt turn the duration of her spells to infinite but made her magic power infinite, basically reading her powerlvl will result in strength and will with a specific number but her magic power would be infinite,

http://www.***********.net/nanatsu-no-taizai/191/12

so, her "stopiing time" could have also be surrounded around her body, she is stopping "her bodys time" which only affects her age, afterall she still heals and can be attacked + she can learn stuff, if she stopped her own time completly than she would simply be frozen, unable to do anything, think anything or be affected by anything :/

^ Ok yeah it makes sense that by 'stopping her time' it only affected her biological clock, but her power 'Infinity' seems to just make them last forever since she can't cast infinitely powerful spells, or literally every character would have been fodderized twice over, and it would be difficult to write with an active, infinitely powerful force as part of the Sins.

HalfAsianFan said:
^ Ok yeah it makes sense that by 'stopping her time' it only affected her biological clock, but her power 'Infinity' seems to just make them last forever since she can't cast infinitely powerful spells, or literally every character would have been fodderized twice over, and it would be difficult to write with an active, infinitely powerful force as part of the Sins.
seems right,

should we add this like that as a note to her profile?

GreatestSin said:
HalfAsianFan said:
seems right,
should we add this like that as a note to her profile?
Just checked her profile and the description of Infinity is now correct, all that's left to do is to remove "time stopping" from her abilities since time stopping in vs battles refer to a completely different thing.

Merlin. Tatsumaki is restricted to telekinesis. While Merlin can do anything she wants pretty much. Merlin could freeze her time and poke her with a hotdog until she dies or smth.

Evidence of her being able to stop time - when Vivian teleports them around worlds, she teleports 'em all into a dragon/serpent nest, and then freezes time on everything but them intentionally. Evasion of things at high speed via teleport (and infinite cast for anything, including teleporting). In case of danger, perfect cube. Merlin definitely wins 'cause of the power of infinity which really is, even according to the characters in the manga, hax.

I'm leaning towards Merlin since she's less overconfident (and more emotionally and mentally stable) than Tatsumaki and thus more likely to lead in with her Ice Magic or Endless Whirl as she did against Grayroad.

That said, Tatsumaki definitely has an AP and ruthlessness advantage.

ThunderClap448 said:
Merlin. Tatsumaki is restricted to telekinesis. While Merlin can do anything she wants pretty much. Merlin could freeze her time and poke her with a hotdog until she dies or smth.
Evidence of her being able to stop time - when Vivian teleports them around worlds, she teleports 'em all into a dragon/serpent nest, and then freezes time on everything but them intentionally. Evasion of things at high speed via teleport (and infinite cast for anything, including teleporting). In case of danger, perfect cube. Merlin definitely wins 'cause of the power of infinity which really is, even according to the characters in the manga, hax.

yup rewatched episode 20 of nnt. it seems that Merlin does have a spell to stop time.

Im not sure if this is correct, but assuming verse equalization, wouldnt Merlin be able to termporarily turn off Tatsus telekinesis? if thats the case, My votes for merlin, if not, then Tatsu

Nedoiko said:
Im not sure if this is correct, but assuming verse equalization, wouldnt Merlin be able to termporarily turn off Tatsus telekinesis? if thats the case, My votes for merlin, if not, then Tatsu

"temporarily" does not apply on Merlin. all spells she cast last forever unless she undoes them herself, or so she says. Merlin however needs to touch the magic to cancel it, and afaik she has never showed the ability to remove an opponent's ability to cast magic permanently.

now. Merlin has 2 spells (out of a lot) that can guarantee her a win, 1st Perfect Cube ,which according to her can tank a blast capable of destroying liones. Tatsumaki may be able to break it BUT the thing is perfect cube reflects the damage it takes to the attacker. 2nd Time stop (if what took place in nnt ep 20 is indeed time stop), which in combination with her magic Infinity can effectively stop time forever. if she lands this (idk if she can stop all of time at once) then she wins.

on the flip side, Tatsumaki could oneshot Merlin, casually. unlike Merlin and other magic users in nnt whose magic can be dodged (merlin's tp dodged by Galand, King's status promotion reflected by mel) Tatsumaki's power is instantaneous. Tatsumaki once simultaniously caught what could be hundreds of bullets from boros ship, she even instakilled ten thousand blacksperms (dragon level threat), even dragon level threats (while having the advantage in number) find it hard to blitz her. in the anime she even instantaniously pulled a meteor from space. in other words she's faster

strength wise, Tatsumaki while flying shakes multiple city blocks and even destroys buildings. she once flew through and 1 shotted a dragon level threat as collateral damage when fighting saitama. she casually caught an attack that could flatten a city. she also has an instakill. an attack from her would kill Merlin undoubtedly.

durability wise. even while unconcious and weakened she's still able to survive an onslaught from multiple dragon level threats. she was once blitzed by a ten trillion merge of a dragon level threat and still manage to survive (and later faught) because she can activate her barriers instantaniously.

which means, 1 hit from her would end the fight, her tk can't be dodged, damage dealing spells of merlin's level (power level 4700) woudn't faze her.

if the question is CAN MERLIN BEAT HER? then the answer is YES.

but Merlin can only beat her if she USES THE RIGHT SPELLS FIRST, if Tatsumaki is given the chance to retaliate or if she decides to attack first, then it's game over.

Bleuburd said:
Nedoiko said:
"temporarily" does not apply on Merlin. all spells she cast last forever unless she undoes them herself, or so she says. Merlin however needs to touch the magic to cancel it, and afaik she has never showed the ability to remove an opponent's ability to cast magic permanently.
now. Merlin has 2 spells (out of a lot) that can guarantee her a win, 1st Perfect Cube ,which according to her can tank a blast capable of destroying liones. Tatsumaki may be able to break it BUT the thing is perfect cube reflects the damage it takes to the attacker. 2nd Time stop (if what took place in nnt ep 20 is indeed time stop), which in combination with her magic Infinity can effectively stop time forever. if she lands this (idk if she can stop all of time at once) then she wins.

on the flip side, Tatsumaki could oneshot Merlin, casually. unlike Merlin and other magic users in nnt whose magic can be dodged (merlin's tp dodged by Galand, King's status promotion reflected by mel) Tatsumaki's power is instantaneous. Tatsumaki once simultaniously caught what could be hundreds of bullets from boros ship, she even instakilled ten thousand blacksperms (dragon level threat), even dragon level threats (while having the advantage in number) find it hard to blitz her. in the anime she even instantaniously pulled a meteor from space. in other words she's faster

strength wise, Tatsumaki while flying shakes multiple city blocks and even destroys buildings. she once flew through and 1 shotted a dragon level threat as collateral damage when fighting saitama. she casually caught an attack that could flatten a city. she also has an instakill. an attack from her would kill Merlin undoubtedly.

durability wise. even while unconcious and weakened she's still able to survive an onslaught from multiple dragon level threats. she was once blitzed by a ten trillion merge of a dragon level threat and still manage to survive (and later faught) because she can activate her barriers instantaniously.

which means, 1 hit from her would end the fight, her tk can't be dodged, damage dealing spells of merlin's level (power level 4700) woudn't faze her.

if the question is CAN MERLIN BEAT HER? then the answer is YES.

but Merlin can only beat her if she USES THE RIGHT SPELLS FIRST, if Tatsumaki is given the chance to retaliate or if she decides to attack first, then it's game over.
Merlin had the power level of 4.7k a while ago, but she had an "experiment" after which she took out Grayroad.

Btw the time stop was global on all but a few people, so she can control that too apparently. What means, freeze time, poke her to death with a wet biscuit or smth.

thunderclap.

I'll take your assumptions literally and assume that they are valid. What makes you think that Tatsumaki will die from getting poked by wet biscuit?

Reppuzan said:
@Bleu
Cease that line of reasoning immediately. We don't need another forum fight.

ThunderClap was obviously joking around and you shouldn't take everything at face value.

Sure.

Yeah Tatsumaki is about 2x Merlin's speed. Still, I think unlikely that she would straight-up blitz Merlin as soon as the fight began.

^ this kind of reasoning is funny. Person A is stronger but he won't use it so person B wins. That's just bias.

now i'lll say it again Merlin DOES have the means to take on Tatsumaki, but that doesn't mean she automatically wins because to be honest the same could be said for the other. This is a vs Battle, not a target practice. Tats woudn't just stand and take, and even if the did she could take most of the damage. I said before that if Merlin lands a timestop then she wins, and it's true, but what are the chances she would actually do that? I mean she didn't use it when Galan nearly Massacred the sds, she didn't use it when Monspiet attacked them, she didn't use it to stop fraudrin from escaping. And seriously, to doubt that Tatsumaki would blitz? Almost all her fights are blitzes. Again, it's bias to assume that Merlin would give her all in the fight but Tats would play around. Note: i'm not mad or anything, i'm just bad with punctuations. i don't want a repeat of that previous misunderstanding.

@Thunder

Well, technically, she'd have to insta-freeze Tatsumaki with ice magic first in order to apply Infinity, but you're otherwise correct.

Reppuzan said:
@Thunder
Well, technically, she'd have to insta-freeze Tatsumaki with ice magic first in order to apply Infinity, but you're otherwise correct.
Not really, when Vivian was going from world to world in attempt to scare them, she instantly froze the world, so yeah. No need to freeze her with ice.

@Crop

Good point, though I could have sworn that Tatsumaki was in the middle of a revision...

@ thunderclap

what i'm saying is the exact opposite of your opinion actually, it won't be that easy for merlin. firstly Merlin doesn't use timestop often, we've seen many instances where it would would've come in handy but she just didn't use it. Secondly we don't know the nature of the timestop ( is it global, AOE, or single target), different timestop has different mechanics, in many cases you can't deal damage to an enemy in a time stop, in this case we don't know what type it is (especially we don't know if it's global, she didn't freeze the world, she was a few meters away and all humans in the vicinity iwas unaffected). Thirdly a timestop spell or any spell or any attack has a cast time/attack time, it does not just go off instantly, meaning a faster character can interrupt or prevent it from activating given that they are aware that a spell is being cast, like Galan. last and not least, it's not just Merlin who can kill Tatsumaki in one move, it goes the other way around too, it's just that the latter is faster (an instant kill spell that is actually instant/unevadable).

@half- I didn't mean it that way sorry.

I'm getting tired of having to type these walls of text and having to repeat the same points over and over.

Tldr. Tatsumaki would just twist Merlin to death, instantly, leaving no remains, like she usually does.

@Bleu

Permanent incapacitation is still a valid win condition if it isn't specified "to the death".

As for Merlin's Time Stopping, it happens virtually instantly since her magic is extremely fast, flash freezing an entire area before anyone (including the Commandments) could react. However, given that Tatsumaki is about 1.5 times faster than her, this could be different.

Back