• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Merlin (Nanatsu no Taizai) vs Ainz Ooal Gown

Edwellken

RP Elder
A battle of powerful mages.

This is post timeskip Merlin.

Speed equalized

Battle takes place where Ainz fought Shalltear.

Both have a day of prep time.

As strong as Merlin is, she has little chance to win against Ainz. Ainz is a paranoid, despite him having overwhelming power and a plethora of extremely hax abilities including a time-stop, instakill, resurrection, element nullification and death resistance, he is also extremely cautious when fighting.

Ainz also likes to lower himself by constantly saying that he's just average among all the level 100 players in yggdrasil, but that only refers to his skillset, player-skill-wise he is top notch. Ainz is skilled enough to fight a character which heavily counters him (a faith-based fighter type undead) in an unfair situation (he only has basic gear and he can't use "true death" since he plans to resurrect shaltear later). not to mention his mountains of cash items, the wish upon a star skill, delay teleportation, reality slash, la shub niggurath.

With prep immediately lowers merlin's chances of winning to zero since ainz with prep is godlike. I'm pretty sure that the first thing ainz will do in his prep time would be to cast an anti detect skill so that merlin can't magically gather information about him and then use survailance magic on merlin to gather info on her. Ainz will probably enter the fight with a hundred cash items in tow (he literally can access all his items while in battle), a dozen buff spells on himself, and a lot of traps.

Oh yeah one final note, I'm not saying this is a stomp but probably low diff for Ainz, since he's not actually optimized for battle, his skill set is for plain murdering his opponent (which is not that much of a problem in Ygdrassil where resurrection spells are aplenty). Scenario would probably be -> Timestop->True Death->Grasp Heart->Fallen Down on corpse just in case->gg.

Edwellken said:
2 for Ainz. Would it be better if I took away prep time?
Yep, but ainz would still win. If this is a random encounter then Ainz would probably use Grasp Heart right off the bat since it's his go to spell. If Grasp Heart is succesful then gg. If Merlin somehow resists then she gets stupefied, then Ainz could just follow up with a Reality Slash on her.

I feel bad that I can't come up with an argument for Merlin but with an opponent like Ainz it's understandable. All spells that Merlin casts have infinite duration. All spells that Ainz casts have a chance to cause instant death, including his auras. If Merlin could somehow land a Perfect Cube coupled with a silence spell (if she has one) on Ainz then she MAY win, but unfortunately Ainz has super tier magic (which is not actually magic, meaning it can be cast through silence).

MAYBE Merlin can win if she has a hex spell? Or she could try to seal Ainz in ice?

Notes on the fight: Ainz can actually win this by just standing near Merlin due to his Despair Aura. Merlin cannot use low tier spells on ainz (like the ice sealing thing) since he has High Tier Magic Invalidation. Ainz can damage Merlin by simply making contact with her (touch, attack, skill) through his Negative Touch. Ainz is weak to fire attacks. Ainz doesn't need to eat, drink or breath. Ainz has Physical Penalty resistance, Mind Control resistance, Poison/Sleep/Death/Sick/Paralysis Invalid. Ainz has an AOE instant death spell. Ainz can literally kill the unkillable (air, immortal, undead, rock, spirit, non-corporeal beings) by using his The Goal of All Life is Death skill. Ainz has high magic resistance.

To give Merlin better chances maybe give her info on Ainz while Ainz has no info.

while I do believe that Ainz has more firepower and 'hax' spells then Merlin does I honeslt can't see this being too easy for him, if Merlin Ice magic was a 'low tier' then there is no way that she wouuld of been able to suspend the egg pods at all even if it lasted forever, eternal duration is different then indistrucible so i highly doubt that its 'low tier'.

Having a day for preperation can be usless depending on the situation, like if you prepare for something but something else shows up in battle that was beyond what one prepares for then its usless. so it depends on how much information they have on the other, if its 'enough' information then yes Ainz had the advantage there.

this won't be an easy battle for either one of them. Ainz to me seems to be a strong attack mage while merlin is a master tactician mage. honestly I can't really see who would win since I can them both winning. while Ainz does have a lot of spells that would kill Merlin, it only works if it hit and since Merlin has far greater range then Ainz and seems to be a better sensor then Ainz I would say that Merlin would be able to sense Ainz's spells and be able to dodge them with her teleportation spell.

If I went by profile alone then yes Ainz takes it but since Merlin has yet to show us what she can truly do in a battle I can't put my vote to Ainz with honest believe that he has the advantage here.

While Ainz's undead status does give him the advantage I highly doubt that its somethign that Merlin hasn't encountered before considering how much knowledge she has.

To make things more fair for them both I'm going to put my vote for a tie untill something else comes up that gives either one of them the advantage.

I don't know about time-stop but considering she can 'stop her own time it possible. for Insta kill probably depending on the spell itself and how its used in battle.

^few things against your points above:

1) Prep is nowhere near useless since even without any info Ainz is capable of deploying invisible trap mines in both land and air, preparing a spell to negate teleportation and manipulation of data about himself.

2) Ainz to me seems to be a strong attack mage while merlin is a master tactician mage. Ainz is a master tactician in battle too. In his battle with Shalltear he puts layer upon layer of deception in order to bait her and convinces her of the scenario that she thinks she's winning while everything is according to his plan.

3) Merlin's sensor seeing Ainz's power level or other data will backfire on herself because one of the key points in his deveption against Shalltear was his manipulation of his own data so all Merlin would be seeing when he's looking at Ainz are manipulated datas that Ainz deliberately set himself.

1I'm saying it 'could' be usless not 'it will' be usless, if they don't have any knowledge on the other at all then they have no idea what to expect how do you prepare for a battle where you have no idea what they can do?

2 I know he a tactician, its just that in an adverage battle he preferrs to beat his opponents with his power quickly rather then use tachtics. only during 'bigger' and more 'dagerous' does he use tactics, of course i'll admit that I don't know Overlord as much as I have SDS but out of all the spells he knows a lot of them are more orientated towards attacking rather then augumamtation. Merlin is shown to prefer acting as support and only interfearing when needed and most of those are geared towords tactical movments rather then attack thats what I ment

3 What I ment by sensor is not towords senseing ainz's power level rather just general sensing any magic he uses or sensoring whereever he is if ainz takes a moment to retreat for a better chance to attack or set something up if he ever needed to. So even if Ainz took the time to manipulate his 'data' its still fine since I ment sensing his pressense not power level. now unless Ainz has something to surpress his pressense then yes that'll work but thats up for debate.

1) Their state of mind by default is in character but willing to kill (serious and will employ their usual battle strategies). In which case, Ainz will treat this similar to his pvp days and much more serious of course. If they don't know what each other can do then isn't it more likely that they'll prepare for anything? Ainz will be using his usual strategy anyway so he'll likely prepare the things above.

2) I see, your previous post made it seem like Ainz isn't much of a strategies (doesn't know what to prep and is just a strong attack mage, since Ainz is actually stated to be mid tier at best among Yggdrasil top players in terms of attack power, it's his insta-kill spells that are deadly).

3) Ainz can reduce and deactivate his auras at will and has a ring that conceals his magical power. Though it's unknown whether he would be sensed by Merlin.

Anyway, what's important is whether or not Merlin will be able to block Ainz's spells. With prep, Ainz can setup anti-teleportation spell which would greatly impede Merlin's movements (exploding mines also help) so that she can't avoid taking a blow.

As the poster above said, it's unlikely that Merlin could survive 2 hits from Ainz -> Grasp Heart (if not resisted she's dead , if resisted she's still stunned) and then follow up with a Reality Slash.

then wouldn't this battle be inconsistant? while we do know what Ainz can do and will do in a battle we don't have enough information about Merlin to accuratly state what she'll do in a battle againts another mage similar to her own calibur. not only that the winner of this battle really depends on how it will go.

Which is why pretty much everyone says that Ainz would most likely win. So far many of Merlin's spells aren't geared toward combat, probably because her focus is more on experimenting (even when facing Grayroad's attack, she's willing to let it hit her to analyze it if not for Howzer).

I figured it would be more of a close fight because of these. (Especially the last one) and then I remembered Ainz is immortal...

• Absolute Cancel (þÁÂÕ»¥Õ╝ÀÕêÂÞºúÚÖñ, Zettai Kyōsei Kaijo): By placing her hands over a spell, Merlin is able to completely erase it from existence. However, if the magic is particularly powerful it may be difficult to erase completely, instead being temporarily suspended.
  • Magic Cancel (Ú¡öÕèøÞºúÚÖñ, Maryoku Kaijo): A technique that allows Merlin to cancel any magic that has been cast on an individual. It was shown to cancel the effects of one of her own magical items.
  • Perfect Cube (Õ«îþƺÒü¬Òéïþ½ïµû╣õ¢ô, Kanpeki naru Rippōtai): A spell that denies entry to anyone but the caster. Originating from the demon world; the spell surrounds a specified area and reflects all attacks, whether strong or weak, back at the opponent.
  • Endless Whirl: Merlin conjures a massive cyclone powerful enough to completely demolish Liones Castle and sucks her intended targets towards her. She can also shrink her targets to a miniscule size, allowing them, and the cyclone, to be kept inside of a test tube.
  • Curse Engagement: A spell with which Merlin creates a contract between two beings to control one of them. By placing a ring on the hand of the victim, this is subject to the spell that causes excruciating pain in their body every time they try to use magic against the other person or the other person saying the incantation "Remada". Each time the spell is used, the person affected will be covered by brands that are becoming larger and once these brands cover their entire body, the affected person will die. The victim is unable to ever remove the ring.

thats why I put my vote to a tie. ainz can die he's just a tough dude to kill with all his health regen spells and his physical resists. Ainz's undead statuts would give Merlin difficulty but I doubt its not something she's unfimiliar with.

So far if I counted correctly it looks like 6-0 in favor of Ainz, (and one vote for a tie.) It probably would be better to wait and see what more Merlin is capable of...?

^ we've made plenty of fights before with less information in character. so it's not too early. I mean consider escanor and merlin. in the manga Merlin has more showings than escanor, but still nobody seems to complain that it's too early to have an escanor battle. even in their respective pages we have more info on Merlin.

in the manga we've seen more what Escanore can do when compared to Merlin, we've seen some from her but a lot of then shows her not being serious at all, if the mear mention of her 'as of yet known' real name sends shivers down two of the TC who are beings of tremendous power then theres mroe too her then what we've been shown and considering her apparent knowledge of the demon clan that hasn't been around since 3000 years before the start of the series states greatly about her identey if only hints about it.

she's been title the greates mage in the series( or at least britania) yet we've only been shown a view spells from her, so to say that we know what she can do it a big stretch.

the problem here is that mostly every assums that merlin would be somewhat suseptible towards Ainz's intint kill spells or that Ainz would be able to prepare all of what Merlin can do yet in the manga we've yet to really see her serious.

i'm not saying that she'll win againts Ainz but I honestly can't say for certin that he can easily win because I can't honestly place where she is.

The same can be said for Ainz. VSbattle only uses current profiles, so it's a given that we only use the current showings to measure a character's strength. Most of what you said about Merlin is purely based on hype. We don't use hype here. And besides, if it's a contest of hype, Ainz Ooal Gown trumps Merlin in every way. Greatest mage in all of britania? How about the Greatest of All the 41 Supreme Beings? or The Overlord of Death? or The Adamantite of Adamantites?

Hype can't be quantified, that's why we don't use it. Here's an example of something quantifiable. Ainz has about 700 spells in total, we've seen about 50 of them, that's about 7% of his overall total, nobody's saying that it's too early for him or to wait for more feats.

I'll explain some basic reasoning why people think Ainz wins here. Merlin has timestop, Ainz has a countermeasure for that (level 70 players should have them, ainz is 100), plus he also has his own spammable global (by feats) timestop. Merlin has teleport, Ainz has Delay teleportation (delays an enemy's teleportation). Merlin has perfect cube, Ainz has tp to get out or grasp heart to attack from outside. Merlin's greatest shown damage spell can destroy a castle, Ainz's can slice reality itself (a small portion). Merlin has a "run of the mill" (tr. ordinary, not special, in other words low tiered) ice sealing magic, Ainz has high tier Magic Invalidation (nulls low tier magic). Merlin is a Tactician (when exactly did she use tactics again?), Ainz is a master tactician (is the best tactician in a world filled with tacticians, each one is by feats better than Merlin in tactics). Merlin is playful (has been shown to willingly take hit from an enemy's magic), Ainz is careful (prepares counters for every concievable situation).

Things i keep seeing people assume about Merlin:1. she can dodge attacks by her tp (i don't remember her doing that, if anything it's her tp that was dodged/ it's too slow to actually do that, in the anime it has about .5 second to tp). 2. She's a better tactician than Ainz ( NO, no matter how i look at it). 3. She can resist instant death spells (never showed that ability, Ainz grasp heart is effective even if resisted).4. She has a global time stop (never was it shown or implied to be global).5. Her Perfect cube can block everything (not really, sound and light travel through it so it's safe to assume some things can) What i'm trying to say is that saying all of this is a big stretch.

Last but not least, Ainz is a PKer, a pro at that. 1 day prep is enough to gather info on Merlin. How? He has surveillance magic, and a counter to it too in case someone tries it on him. Not to metion his World Items, each one capable of messing with the World's Structure (game mechanics in Yggdrasil) like rewriting the laws of magic, deletion of a character, or Nerfing of an entire race. Merlin is outgunned and outbrained here. Mismatch? not in vs battle standards (same tier). Stomp? Maybe.

Ainz hasn't really shown his full potential either. He's only been in one serious fight, where he couldn't even use his best spells.

Ainz easily.

As magic user, is above.

Spells like insta-kill, black hole, grasp heart, Ultimate Disturb, Astral Smite, Despair Aura V, Wish Upon a Star, Among other, Could be effective.

well everyone apparently is making this out like Merlin has no chance here so... would this be considered a stopm? I don't know what the rules are for deciding what is a stomp or not.

Merlin has a chance though. If she manages to land endless whirl on Ainz then she wins, however we're talking about a very low chance here, about 1%. But even if, let's say Merlin wins 4/10, even then it's still Ainz win. Just because a character can beat someone in a certain scenario doesn't mean that they win in all other concievable outcomes.

Necro, merlin has more feats in the manga now, being able to toy with one of the strongest beings in the series

Back