• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Megaten Discussion Thread I: Now on iOS

P5TR
Smtv

Should've done this long ago.

Shin Megami Tensei V teaser, for the Nintendo Switch. Not much information or release date yet.

Persona 5 The Royal trailer, Appears to be an enhanced re-release, like P3 FES and P4 Golden. For the PS4. October 2019 for the Japanese release, Later at 2020 for the International version.

Persona 5 Scramble, for the PS4 and Nintendo Switch. Seems to be an ARPG / Hack'n Slash spin-off.

Hello,

I'm making my first profile in this page. It's for Labrys, from the Persona 4 Arena game

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Shozo_Irie/Labrys#Labrys

Now I'm in front a little dilemma that doesn't let me continue:

Should we include the abilities of Ariadne and Asterius that are portrayed in the Persona 5 DLC or should we consider non-canon and forget about them.

The additions (if someone feels to lazy to go to the link) are:

Ariadne: Stadistics Amplification, Block Nuke attacks, Resists Bless and Gun attacks, Weak to Phychic attacks

Asterius: Fire Manipulation, Stadistics Amplification, Ability to create Phisical barriers, Block Curse attacks, Resist Fire and Psychic attacks and Weak to Ice attacks

I hope that you can give your opinion about this subject and your opinion about the profile would also be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Considering we don't count Orpheus being able to cast Cadenza on its own as part of Makoto's profile, I'd say no for now.

SMT V is going through multiple story drafts. They are trying to play it safe because even though Persona is making all the money, SMT is the heart and soul of the franchise.

This is because the writing staff of SMT IV are morons that want to include various Persona tropes into SMT and it doesn't work like that. They tried to ruin SMT IV but failed, they pretty much did mess over Apocalyse, and so for SMT V, they want to keep the game as it was in the veteran games, most notably Nocturne, and keep some elements from IV so they keep both old and new fans.

Megami Tensei II and Shin Megami Tensei II are my favorite entries in the series, played them as a child (I shouldn't have...) with Strange Journey Redux being very close. So I am a "old fan" that while I enjoyed IV and am neutral on Apocalypse (because I loved Krishna), I think SMT's charm is very important and that charm only exists at its prime in the older games up to Nocturne and Strange Journey.

I want better characters in SMT, but not Persona characters that talk about bonds and friendship. SMT is an ideology war, not the same as Persona which is a battle with one's inner self.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind more Persona features in SMT considering the quality of those games. I just wish they didn't make those mechanics incomplete shoddy rip-offs of the original.

Persona and SMT are thematically incompatible. Persona focuses on sociological psychology, exploring themes such as friendship, bonds, social groups, loneliness, death and human limitations. This can't possibly work with SMT, not on the way Apocalypse sorta tried. SMT explores sides of psychology that go beyond anthropology, it explores existentialism, free-will, metaphysics, religion and universal causality. Those themes to work together would require deep understanding that, let's be real, a video-game writer would probably not be able to accomplish on a reasonable amount of time and effort.

That doesn't mean it's impossible. Besides, lots of games have surprised us before. TES managed to surprise everyone by becoming 1-A through philosophy and metaphysics, for example.

No you just didn't read my post, considering you responded just a minute after it. "This can't possibly work with SMT, not on the way Apocalypse sorta tried.", "Those themes to work together would require deep understanding that, let's be real, a video-game writer would probably not be able to accomplish on a reasonable amount of time and effort.

Just because I read fast doesn't mean I didn't read it entirely.

"Thematically incompatible" is a bit contradictory, but honestly who really cares? I'd just prefer if you don't get hostile and question me for no reason.

I didn't get hostile at any point, I'm just responding to someone calling me out for a wrongful reason.

I wasn't calling you out, kek. I just said what you said meant wasn't entirely clear from what you wrote, that's all.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with characters with actual personalities (not just walking ideologies) but it shouldn't try to be Persona. Hell, Persona 5 is the most "SMT" Persona will probably ever be and it has a clear favor of "Chaos" since that's the true ending while "Law" is the bad ending simply because you leave your friends to die in the Velvet Room (presumably).

Yes I know some SMT games favor chaos over law (and neutral over chaos) but that's a different discussion. Bottom line is they shouldn't try to mix the two together.

Anyway, I'm more of a Law person most times, but the specifics are important imo. I was more of a Chaos fan in DeSu 2 for example.

@Yobo.

Law is awesome, especially in MegaTen 2 where YHVH defeats Lucifer and your entire demon party with a sentance. "Back to Hell demons!"

But it's pretty dark in SMT IV. The whole genocide thing...

I also love how heartbroken YHVH sounds in SMT 2 Law ending when Satan betrays him 😂

You can tell YHVH and Satan are best friends.

Yeah. My personal favorite Law route was from DeSu 1, in which we got Remiel, who I personally like better than the other 6 Archangels.

So, do you guys remember the "Mot Dilemma" back in Nocturne, where Mot would just spam Beast Eye and Megidolaon?

Well, it's back in Dx2.

Shin Megami Tensei Liberation Dx2 KIWAMI Mot
Shin Megami Tensei Liberation Dx2 KIWAMI Mot

Best Faction?

Law

Chaos

Neutral

The poll was created at 15:19 on May 1, 2019, and so far 21 people voted.
Please wait, submitting your vote...

I in order of morally correct: Neutral >>>>>> Chaos >=< Law (really depends on the game)

In order of who is the coolest: Chaos > Neutral >>>>>>>>>>>> Law

IMO, overall its Law >=< Neutral >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (repeat a few dozen times) Chaos.

Chaos >> (Insert infinite hierarchies of infinities that overlap each other infinitely) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Law. I'll give Law props: Merkabah is great. He calls everyone filth with such disgust and causes mass genocide just for sanitary reasons. I wished every Law antagonist was like him instead of "Something Something God Something Something".

I mean in terms of writing yeh he is pretty bland. But his lines are the best. And his boss fight theme is one of the best in the series IMO.

Back