• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shin Megami Tensei questions

CurrySenpai

She/Her
FC/OC VS Battles
Content Moderator
Hi, I run a Shin Megami Tensei related RP group, and recently I decided I was gonna power scale them a bit more seriously. The issue is I'm getting into the high and top tiers of the verse and things are starting to get confusing since I need help understanding some basic Shin Megami Tensei stuff as well. If anyone could help with the stuff I list below it would be greatly appreciated.

• What tier would you get for managing to destroy the Velvet Realm (basically just where Igor and all the attendants reside)
  • What exactly makes Tier 1 characters, specifically Persona characters and the Axiom Tier 1? (For context in the RP we've been fighting characters who are Tier 1 on the VS Wiki but I'd like to know what makes them Tier 1 so I can know if I'm scaling right.)
Those are the two I can only really think of but if more comes up I'll ask in the replies or edit the post.

and recently I decided I was gonna power scale them a bit more seriously.
don't

that's my advice, just go with whatever you feel serves a story best, make a demon as strong or as weak as you want (since outside of a few key examples demons never really stay consistent in their significance), just actually have fun instead of trying to wrap your head around a thirty year history of mayhem

Like, just to draw from my own experiences in a Megaten RP, the hypest moment for me was when I just

Hid in smoke, after making a crater in concrete, tricking my opponent into thinking my Persona was my character and thus ambushing them with an attack that knocked them out cold

And that's just what I personally felt most fulfilled with, completely ignoring moments like Ten facetanking an outright nuclear bomb to deal a mortal blow to a Shadow or Emma simply abusing a spear's range to win out in a massive clash of power

Like, yeah, the GM says we're Universe level+ supposedly but that really doesn't mean anything outside the simple statement that rifts are somehow equatable to palaces or something, and it gives way more ground for big moments if we simply don't think about that until things are long since said and done

Like, just to draw from my own experiences in a Megaten RP, the hypest moment for me was when I just

Hid in smoke, after making a crater in concrete, tricking my opponent into thinking my Persona was my character and thus ambushing them with an attack that knocked them out cold

And that's just what I personally felt most fulfilled with, completely ignoring moments like Ten facetanking an outright nuclear bomb to deal a mortal blow to a Shadow or Emma simply abusing a spear's range to win out in a massive clash of power

Like, yeah, the GM says we're Universe level+ supposedly but that really doesn't mean anything outside the simple statement that rifts are somehow equatable to palaces or something, and it gives way more ground for big moments if we simply don't think about that until things are long since said and done
Absolutely and immeasurably based on all accounts.

don't

that's my advice, just go with whatever you feel serves a story best, make a demon as strong or as weak as you want (since outside of a few key examples demons never really stay consistent in their significance), just actually have fun instead of trying to wrap your head around a thirty year history of mayhem
This is actually the best advice for a writer. Do not actively try to weave in powerscaling into the writing. This is why so many anti-feats exist in fiction, because that author is more focused on a tightly knit narrative instead of adhering to merely feats.

Obviously, there is a level of progression of power that should follow our heroes and villains, and it gets rather frustrating when it’s recurrently broken (Dragon Ball), but you have to realize: most of these characters are teenagers. They had their misfortunes thrusted upon them, out of no fault of their own. In-spite of that, they try to reclaim their lives, and that’s what’s more important to the story, and it’s viewers.

This is actually the best advice for a writer. Do not actively try to weave in powerscaling into the writing. This is why so many anti-feats exist in fiction, because that author is more focused on a tightly knit narrative instead of adhering to merely feats.

Obviously, there is a level of progression of power that should follow our heroes and villains, and it gets rather frustrating when it’s recurrently broken (Dragon Ball), but you have to realize: most of these characters are teenagers. They had their misfortunes thrusted upon them, out of no fault of their own. In-spite of that, they try to reclaim their lives, and that’s what’s more important to the story, and it’s viewers.
i replied to DMUA with this on discord already but I think there’s been a bit of a misunderstanding.

When I say seriously powerscale I don’t mean weaving in powerscaling to make the rp more accurate to that I mean just having the knowledge so when I make profiles they are accurate.

I'm not gonna let powerscaling define what happens in the RP because I've always been one for fun overall and not being super accurate to stuff like power levels. But I just wanted to know the info for when I do powerscale so I don't write some shit like 1-A (defeated Izanami) without knowing what makes Izanami actually that tier

Back