• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Megami Tensei General Discussion Thread

This is a nice information

IMG_20240901_203801_832.jpg

Maybe a question with an obvious answer, but are Another Bible and Last Bible Special considered canon / part of the cosmology?

I got this screenshot on telegram, so i can't really tell you the exact context or whatsoever. I know it's from the last chapter of the game, though.
Do you know the name of the chapter, at least? There's just not a lot that this screenshot gives us inherently.

Maybe a question with an obvious answer, but are Another Bible and Last Bible Special considered canon / part of the cosmology?
Yes

1. Well, if apocalypse YHVH was no longer the Great Will, I think there wouldn't be any distinction between the SMT II and SMT IV YHVH (correct me if i'm wrong). This would mean that Aleph would scale to Nanashi, and Nahobino would be the absolute strongest SMT protagonist.

2. Stephen still vastly outscales Mater Lucifer because the latter is still tied to the Mandala System and the infinite cycle of transmigration.

3.SMT V's Satan would become the strongest SMT demon fr.
So the one who would get affected the most in that hypothetical would be primal satan and Nahobino.

I forgot Stephen literally graced the existence of the great reason. So no change would allow matter lucy to be on the same level.

It’s wild to think the hierarchy extends so much higher than Yhvh, the most prominent and involved god in the verse.

Do you know the name of the chapter, at least? There's just not a lot that this screenshot gives us inherently.
I tried searching online, but I couldn't find anything. I also asked on Telegram, but the best result I got is that the statement comes from the latest chapter that was released a few days ago

So the one who would get affected the most in that hypothetical would be primal satan and Nahobino.

I forgot Stephen literally graced the existence of the great reason. So no change would allow matter lucy to be on the same level.

It’s wild to think the hierarchy extends so much higher than Yhvh, the most prominent and involved god in the verse.
Tbf that was the theoretical version. As far as we know, the Great Will is still the same as Nocturne and IV A.

That aside, it's weird to think he's below so much in the current cosmology. Nyx, Philemon/Nyar for example.

His Covenant lets him remain at the top tho, but even that can be undone. I forget just how high in the hierarchy that makes him.
Yeah as the great will of the universe YHVH is virtually untouchable. There are only few entities that scale above One true God YHVH iirc.

Does anyone have the Imgur link with the explanation of the various locations of the Tree of Life and the respective demons that control them?

Just wanted to say that I'm very glad the first thread of the revisions (at least, the update of the 1-A justifications) has been published. I just got into Tsumi no Batsu a few days ago so it was coincidental to see arguments taken from that manga right as I was reading it x)
I'm glad the thread also addressed supposed anti-feats. I assume that the upcoming threads are going to do the same

Just wanted to say that I'm very glad the first thread of the revisions (at least, the update of the 1-A justifications) has been published. I just got into Tsumi no Batsu a few days ago so it was coincidental to see arguments taken from that manga right as I was reading it x)
I'm glad the thread also addressed supposed anti-feats. I assume that the upcoming threads are going to do the same
I think I know you from somewhere

Question: What is the mandala system really?
A spatial governing phenomenon (or emergent non-physical/divine law) that ensures that existential stagnation doesn't occur for too long. It's essentially entropy but for ideologies in the SMTV multiverse. It serves the purpose that YHVH's system in SMTIV/IVA served but the difference is there's the implication that it would be impossible to actually nullify the Mandala System without setting everything back to zero because it will ensure there will always eventually be a portal to Da'at and demons will come through to covet power, magatsuhi and knowledge. At least that's what I was able to gather from that singular yap session Lucifer gives to you at the end of the game. Unless I missed something.

does anyone have a link to the scans that imply that inner universe = Monado Mandala (or inner universe = collective unconscious)? I've been looking for pictures or footage but I haven't been able to find it

(this is regardless to whether or not the interpretation is correct, I just want to see the statement itself)

does anyone have a link to the scans that imply that inner universe = Monado Mandala (or inner universe = collective unconscious)? I've been looking for pictures or footage but I haven't been able to find it

(this is regardless to whether or not the interpretation is correct, I just want to see the statement itself)
I made an imgur link.

Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Genuine question: In megami tensei, could the Greek figure of "chaos" be compared to the great reason?
Unless it has already appeared in an MT game I'm not aware of 🧐

Already did on another post online. I'm going to expand upon it later.

Firstly we have already seen what happens when the full potential of humanity faces Nyx(Makoto and the other protags reached this perfect state.), they die. Secondly Personas don't work on Nyx. Thirdly you are wrong Adam Kadmon isn't humanity's full potential. Let's go over what Humanity's full potential actually is.

Well to unlock humanity full potential, you must go through the process of individuation and become an archetype of self.

It is a perfect state with no contradictions.

All of this is to ascertain if man’s souls, riddled with contradictions as they are, can evolve into something whole. You all showed that potential. If there were more like you, man could someday reach a perfect state than understood its purpose” - Philemon, Innocent Sin
and

Thy reflection on the water’s surface: that is thy Brahman, the truth of the universe, which is in turn thine Atman. Thou thyself art the universe, and thine self is itself the light that illuminates the soul” - Virochana, Eternal.
And yet...

• So… This is it… Rumi… I’m sorry… I couldn’t…
  • If it’s for everyone’s happiness, I don’t care what happens to me! Don’t resist… Accept it. With my power- No… With mine and Adam Kadmon’s together, our reality is nigh!
  • I’m sorry. I said I didn’t care what’d happen to me… But I guess… I wasn’t committed to my words…
  • I gave up everything else… I dedicated all that I have to this… But I still… Why?
  • It’s true that I turned my back on the original reality… But where’s the harm in that!? When it grows too much, too painful… Every person deserves to escape that!
  • I’ve been holding this all in for so long, just hiding it from myself… So, please… Help me kill every last one of my regrets"
And all of this, just from only his boss fight...

Maruki hasn't reached enlightenment, he hasn't understood the meaning behind every human and soul, that even his own Persona is a part of himself, unable to think himself worthy of its power, because that it's what Adam Kadmon is - His Persona empowered by everyone, just like Makoto, Kotone, Yu and Joker. But where they accepted, even if momentarily, that power and truth, Maruki didn't. He escaped from it.

After all...

"I must have always been... afraid... afraid you and I wouldn't wish for the same reality..."

At the end, the doctor isn't a deva, nor a buddha, and even less a savior, and he isn't show as anything of that sort. He's a simple man, with his heart filled with contradictions and desiring to escape the true reality, but that wishes to do good with the power he obtained.. Just like everyone else, he has still a lot to understand and realize because, more than anything, he's a flawed human.

Credit to Melliane for a lot of it.

Biggest problem I have with people saying Maruki needing to attain enlightenment to summon Adam Kadmon is that simply is not how personas operate. People use the requisite of individualization to debunk Adam Kadmon off the premise that Maruki himself hadn’t obtained it.

That’s like saying in order to summon a death god (persona) you have to die, it’s simply not necessary to attain a persona’s state of being to summon it. If anything, it makes sense why Maruki would have to surrender himself to his persona to unleash its full potential. It’s because Maruki didn’t reach enlightenment that he couldn’t use A”K’s full power, which is rectified by fusing with him.

Tl;dr Maruki doesn’t need to reach enlightenment to summon A”K because that’s something inherent to the persona.

yeah, i was going to bring up "didn't maruki get absorbed by adam kadmon?" because i remember that we're supposed to be fighting full-powered adam kadmon himself and not just maruki with adam kadmon as his persona by the end of the game, so whether or not maruki had reached enlightenment was ultimately irrelevant

though if you just want to debunk maruki, iirc maruki with adam kadmon scales above maruki with azathoth, who scales above yaldabaoth, so he probably shouldn't get out of 1-a

yeah, i was going to bring up "didn't maruki get absorbed by adam kadmon?" because i remember that we're supposed to be fighting full-powered adam kadmon himself and not just maruki with adam kadmon as his persona by the end of the game, so whether or not maruki had reached enlightenment was ultimately irrelevant
Exactly, personas usually disappear after their users defeat. However A”k was just like….😶

Makes sense that he wouldn’t be fazed, he’s already enlightened and transcendent. Also Joker did NOT “metaphorically” gain the universe arcana. It just didn’t make much of a difference because joker was already OP. He took the damn role of administration from Yaldabaoth and even gave it away. (Albeit subconsciously)

Biggest problem I have with people saying Maruki needing to attain enlightenment to summon Adam Kadmon is that simply is not how personas operate. People use the requisite of individualization to debunk Adam Kadmon off the premise that Maruki himself hadn’t obtained it.

That’s like saying in order to summon a death god (persona) you have to die, it’s simply not necessary to attain a persona’s state of being to summon it. If anything, it makes sense why Maruki would have to surrender himself to his persona to unleash its full potential. It’s because Maruki didn’t reach enlightenment that he couldn’t use A”K’s full power, which is rectified by fusing with him.

Tl;dr Maruki doesn’t need to reach enlightenment to summon A”K because that’s something inherent to the persona.
Your response overlooks the main argument of the post and completely misses the point. Many people tend to power scale Maruki without fully considering his character or looking at the fight

Let's look at what actually happened in the fight.

He lost... Not only did he lose to a human, he lost to people who have not even found the Answer life. That's is quite literally step number one of achieving the universe arcana and obtaining the Potential of humanity.

Not to mention he gave it his all. Maruki realistically isn't any stronger than Yaldy, especially not Nyar and even more so Nyx.

That’s like saying in order to summon a death god (persona) you have to die.

No this is quite literally something entirely different and I'm not even implying that. I'm saying to achieve enlightenment you must go through the process of individuation and become an archetype of self, there are no short cuts through Personas. We have seen personas who should realistically be an archetype of the self, who aren't.

Hence in its scientific usage the term “self” refers neither to Christ nor to the Buddha but to the totality of the figures that are its equivalent, and each of these figures is a symbol of the self.” - Psychology and Alchemy.

And lets play into your game, shall we? If Personas are your true self, then why didn't Maruki obtain enlightenment after fusing with A.K? Well it's simple, he didn't actually become enlightened nor did fusing with A.K make him an enlightened figure. His nature as an Archetype who exhibits a mythology makes him speak metaphorically, not factually.

Makes sense that he wouldn’t be fazed, he’s already enlightened and transcendent. Also Joker did NOT “metaphorically” gain the universe arcana. It just didn’t make much of a difference because joker was already OP. He took the damn role of administration from Yaldabaoth and even gave it away. (Albeit subconsciously)

Expect that didn't make Joker the world nor universe arcana, It made him the fool. As for why I say he obtained it metaphorically, It's because he never once used the world nor did he ever use in any future installments (Which Yu has done).

Last edited:
Maruki realistically isn't any stronger than Yaldy, especially not Nyar and even more so Nyx.
Dunno about everything else, but the Yaldy part is outright wrong. Maruki is stated to be beyond anything the Thieves have faced up to that point, and that was just with Azathoth.

Your response overlooks the main argument of the post and completely misses the point. Many people tend to power scale Maruki without fully considering his character or looking at the fight

He lost... Not only did he lose to a human, he lost to people who have not even found the Answer life. That's is quite literally step number one of achieving the universe arcana and obtaining the Potential of humanity.

Not to mention he gave it his all. Maruki realistically isn't any stronger than Yaldy, especially not Nyar and even more so Nyx.

No this is quite literally something entirely different and I'm not even implying that. I'm saying to achieve enlightenment you must go through the process of individuation and become an archetype of self, there are no short cuts through Personas. We have seen personas who should realistically be an archetype of the self, who aren't.

And lets play into your game, shall we? If Personas are your true self, then why didn't Maruki obtain enlightenment after fusing with A.K? Well it's simple, he didn't actually become enlightened nor did fusing with A.K make him an enlightened figure. His nature as an Archetype who exhibits a mythology makes him speak metaphorically, not factually.

Expect that didn't make Joker the world nor universe arcana, It made him the fool. As for why I say he obtained it metaphorically, It's because he never once used the world nor did he ever use in any future installments (Which Yu has done).
Live Thermite Reaction:

His character is irrelevant to him summoning A”K

I mean, ok? Him losing isn’t an anti feat against him but a feat of the PT. By your logic Philemon and Nyarlathotep shouldn’t have lost because they are the creators of human thoughts and thus “encompass” any feat of human thoughts. How did that go? It’s for damn sure never stated you needed enlightenment to summon A”K.
That’s just wholly false. A”K should be at the very least multiplicatively stronger than universe arcana Makoto. Considering the former is “all human evolution” and the latter is just 1.
Can you show me proof saying attaining enlightenment is required to summon said personas? You even quoted Vairocana, who can be summoned by the p2ep cast. Who was stated to not be enlightened yet. When was it stated you needed enlightenment to use A”K?

And let’s play into your game, shall we? If Personas are your true self, then why didn't Maruki obtain enlightenment after fusing with A.K? Well it's simple, he didn't actually become enlightened nor did fusing with A.K make him an enlightened figure. His nature as an Archetype who exhibits a mythology makes him speak metaphorically, not factually.
Don’t know, don’t care. Find me a scan saying it’s required to attain enlightenment to summon A”K and your argument would actually stand. That’s literally all I ask. A”K is enlightened, he could summon him. Vairocana is enlightened, P2EP cast could summon him. None of these humans were enlightened so it’s safe to say it’s not a prerequisite.

Ah, that cool scene with Sataneal, absolutely wonderful.

Here’s joker gaining the world arcana BTW. How often he uses it is irrelevant.

His character is irrelevant to him summoning A”K

Never said it was, what I'm saying is he can't be an Archetype of the self/Humanities infinite potential.

I mean, ok? Him losing isn’t an anti feat against him but a feat of the PT. By your logic Philemon and Nyarlathotep shouldn’t have lost because they are the creators of human thoughts and thus “encompass” any feat of human thoughts. How did that go? It’s for damn sure never stated you needed enlightenment to summon A”K.

You quite literally misinterpret everything lol. I'm saying he can't be humanities infinite potential if he, you know, lost to people who aren't even close to that level.

That’s just wholly false. A”K should be at the very least multiplicatively stronger than universe arcana Makoto. Considering the former is “all human evolution” and the latter is just 1.

No it's is the full potential of humanity.

Hmm... I see nothing in you... It seems you no longer need your fortune told... All potentials are within you... You can go
anywhere, become anything... The universe is within you... And
you are within the universe... You and the universe are one and

the same... That is my belief... - Fortune-Teller

Can you show me proof saying attaining enlightenment is required to summon said personas? You even quoted Vairocana, who can be summoned by the p2ep cast. Who was stated to not be enlightened yet. When was it stated you needed enlightenment to use A”K?

Ya and this makes it even more obvious that you haven't read a lick of Jung, or even attempted to. Both Buddha and Sakya are an archetype of the self. And I'm not saying that you need to be an Archetype of the self to summon "enlightened" Personas, I'm saying that It doesn't make you enlightened.

Don’t know, don’t care. Find me a scan saying it’s required to attain enlightenment to summon A”K and your argument would actually stand. That’s literally all I ask. A”K is enlightened, he could summon him. Vairocana is enlightened, P2EP cast could summon him. None of these humans were enlightened so it’s safe to say it’s not a prerequisite.

Yes, but it doesn't give you enlightenment, that's what the proof above is meant to be. He is not an enlighten figure simply because he absorbed A.K. Neither is Junpei, any of the P2 cast, nor makoto before the universe arcana. All of these people are humans with flaws, thus can't be Philemons perfect human.

All of this is to ascertain if man’s souls, riddled with contradictions as they are, can evolve into something whole. You all showed that potential. If there were more like you, man could someday reach a perfect state than understood its purpose” - Philemon, Innocent Sin

Here’s joker gaining the world arcana BTW. How often he uses it is irrelevant.

Please show how it isn't symbolic in any way shape or form. He quite literally never uses it a single time. If Makoto got the universe arcana, never used it once, then ******* died, You wouldn't exactly say he actually scales to the universe arcana, now would you? Of course this is an exaggerated example but you get the point.

By your logic Philemon and Nyarlathotep shouldn’t have lost because they are the creators of human thoughts and thus “encompass” any feat of human thoughts. How did that go? It’s for damn sure never stated you needed enlightenment to summon A”K.

Firstly they are only half. They are the "Light" and the "Dark" within every human. I quite literally don't know how people can't understand such a simple concept. And if both of them were Humanities infinite potential, then ya, I would say it's illogical for them to lose to HUMANS. But they aren't.

Last edited:
Back