• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Megami Tensei General Discussion Thread

So, if you'll forgive my asking, please, is it just some kind of Passive Perception Manipulation/Gravity Manipulation/Telekinesis or such that characters interact with it as though it is physical, not passing through its walls & floors?
It’s just for the sake of story. Nothing worth tiering.

Ello there, been thinking about trying the SMT games for a while. Any of the games you'd suggest for a first timer to playing such games?
(aka which game will beat my arse the most lol)

thanks in advance

Ello there, been thinking about trying the SMT games for a while. Any of the games you'd suggest for a first timer to playing such games?
(aka which game will beat my arse the most lol)

thanks in advance
It depends on your budget, how you prefer to play, and which systems you own:

SMTV: Vengeance is a great entry point, and it will run well on nearly any PC released in the last five years or so. It's also available on PlayStation 4/5, Xbox, and Switch.

SMT IV is also solid and directly connects to its sequel, IV Apocalypse, if you feel like binging another game after. Both are 3DS exclusive, so you'd need to find physical copies (generally expensive), download the ROMs onto a homebrewed console, or emulate them with Citra or Lime.

SMT Nocturne is a fan favorite and considered a classic. It runs wonderfully on a PS2 emulator, assuming your PC is decent enough, and there's a official remaster which, despite having poor audio quality, should also run fine on most builds and includes the option to swap between each versions' content.

If you want to start from the beginning, you can easily find English-patched ROMs of SMT I's SNES, GBA, and (I believe) PSX releases. You'd have to emulate it, regardless, but even potato PC's can emulate those consoles just fine.

There are many other Megami Tensei series, too, like Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner, and Persona; if any of these catch your eye over mainline, feel free to ask about those as well. I can easily find ROMs and emulators for you, if you'd like. Just ask.

Yeah i dont think im gonna be rocking V or Vengeance anytime soon (unless some form of income is obtained), but if IV/Apocalypse run on something like Citra, i would be down to give it a shot.

Thinking about also getting Persona at some point as well to go along with it. If all goes well, i can try P5 Royal alongside Vengeance to see how both perform.....granted im gonna have to account for computer space as well. I bet Vengeance is a big game

Yeah i dont think im gonna be rocking V or Vengeance anytime soon (unless some form of income is obtained), but if IV/Apocalypse run on something like Citra, i would be down to give it a shot.

Thinking about also getting Persona at some point as well to go along with it. If all goes well, i can try P5 Royal alongside Vengeance to see how both perform.....granted im gonna have to account for computer space as well. I bet Vengeance is a big game
SMTVV is only about 30gb, and P5R is 41gb. Both games are said to run very well, even on lower-end systems, and you can read each games' minimum requirements here and here.

Ah, thank you, thank you. I just wanted to ensure that both would be able to run on my computer without having them suffer/computer dying because of it. pretty sure i can also just lower graphical settings

Speaking of SMT
I did see Therewolf Media post some music for a SMT Protags BR (Hero, Aleph, Demi-Fiend, Nanashi, Flynn, and Nahobino) (i think i got em right), which of the five do you think would win?

Ah, thank you, thank you. I just wanted to ensure that both would be able to run on my computer without having them suffer/computer dying because of it. pretty sure i can also just lower graphical settings
The minimum requirements represent the worst hardware one could own and still run the game at its lowest settings, so as long as your specs are better than those, you will more-than-likely be able to tun them "without your computer dying." Keep in mind neither have demos.

Speaking of SMT
I did see Therewolf Media post some music for a SMT Protags BR (Hero, Aleph, Demi-Fiend, Nanashi, Flynn, and Nahobino) (i think i got em right), which of the five do you think would win?
I don’t care to answer this, but for someone who doesn’t believe Persona has any scaling connection to SMT, you probably won’t like it here.

I don’t care to answer this, but for someone who doesn’t believe Persona has any scaling connection to SMT, you probably won’t like it here.
Eh, ive moved on from that a while ago, realized it was a fight i was ill equipped to take on so i just left it alone
Thats that

Ive grown to more appreciate the series after my.....incredibly bad take

Why no scaling connection?

(Not that I mind, since I don't care for Persona protagonists other than Joker winning via summoning Arahabaki AKA That dude who reflects Physical to beat the JJK-or-whatever-dude who has a storm of knives special ability that social media memed upon for a while.)

Why no scaling connection?

(Not that I mind, since I don't care for Persona protagonists other than Joker winning via summoning Arahabaki AKA That dude who reflects Physical to beat the JJK-or-whatever-dude who has a storm of knives special ability that social media memed upon for a while.)
the meme involved makoto yuki, not joker.

the meme involved makoto yuki, not joker.
My bad. My Persona knowledge is lacking.

Perhaps shamefully, my first experience with Persona was actually over a decade ago via a fanmade, abridged-series like comic for... Persona 3, I think it was?
(After Googling what game Yuu Narukami & Teddie are from, I found it was for Persona 4.)
Milly is saying that persona does scale to SMT

Also, like, unless you don't know of certain games, once you dive deep enough it's kind of a bit unreasonable to think otherwise. You'd basically be ignoring the Devil Summoner series and SMT IF.....
Ah. Thank you very much!

Mainline game rankings:

1. Strange Journey
2. Vengeance
3. Nocturne
4. Shin Megami Tensei 1
5. Shin Megami Tensei 2
6. Shin Megami Tensei 4
7. Apocalypse
8. Shin Megami Tensei If...

Nocturne and Vengeance can swap around. I would put the original release of SMT 5 below SMT 4 because after Vengeance it just seems mediocre to me now. I am also unable to play NINE unfortunately.

Mainline game rankings:

1. Strange Journey
2. Vengeance
3. Nocturne
4. Shin Megami Tensei 1
5. Shin Megami Tensei 2
6. Shin Megami Tensei 4
7. Apocalypse
8. Shin Megami Tensei If...

Nocturne and Vengeance can swap around. I would put the original release of SMT 5 below SMT 4 because after Vengeance it just seems mediocre to me now. I am also unable to play NINE unfortunately.
RIGHT?

like vengeance is such an amazing improvement. I have no idea if the original release is good in the first place considering how massive of an improvement this was.

Also, this should have already completely debunked the idea that the great will and YHVH are separate beings, yet I have no idea why people on reddit STILL want to pretend it's not the case.

To them, primal satan from now is send by the axiom (the great will to them), and that's why he is stronger than matter lucifer, who is stronger than yhvh (again, who to them, is the same as the 4A one)

Instead of taking the easy route, and just realizing they were wrong, and easily come to the conclusion that lucifer only transcended a manifestation head, and is still below primal satan and the great will.

ALSO, this game makes me doubt it was a manifestation head and not some different ruler altogether. We know there have been other rulers, so it could have been some other nahobino not mentioned by name.

Also, this should have already completely debunked the idea that the great will and YHVH are separate beings, yet I have no idea why people on reddit STILL want to pretend it's not the case.
Please spoiler-tag spoilers.

What Reddit says or believes ultimately has no impact or consequence on our scaling. If someone wants to believe what they read in a Reddit post or a comment, that's their right– and their loss, if the evidence behind their beliefs is flimsy or misinterpreted.

To them, primal satan from now is send by the axiom (the great will to them), and that's why he is stronger than matter lucifer, who is stronger than yhvh (again, who to them, is the same as the 4A one)
Which doesn't even make sense, because if SMT IV A YHVH is dead, Primal satan should be dead as well💀

Back