• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mega Man Classic Series Content Revisions Part 1: Cleaning up the Mess.

No, because Capcom didn't say so.

Uh... Idk tbh. I don't think Dr. Light would downgrade him after anything to be honest. Since if he didn't downgrade Rock after defeating Wily every time, it would just seem bizarre that he did downgrade Rush.

But that's just my headcanon tbh.

Assuming Rush just gets downgraded every other game is bizzare to me when Rock gets upgraded. Requires too much headcanon imo.

This is the very definition of NLF: Mega Man has never been stated to have a limit in the number of Special Weapons he can carry, therefore he can carry them all at once.

Talking about things that might be game mechanics: Do we consider Mega Man being unable to attack while using the Time Stopper one? Mega Man 4, Mega Man 8 and Mega Man & Bass show he can at least fire (Uncharged) Buster shots while having a weapon equiped.
He could attack while stopping time in Super Adventure Rockman iirc.

Not to mention there are also support items like Beat's Shield and Rush Bike that wouldn't fill up his weapon count as they are independent from Mega Man, so is not like Rock won't have options.

Speaking about Rush, does he have a limit? Because he often doesn't have funtions he had in the last game (In Mega Man V he needed to have the Function Space re-installed despite having it in Mega Man IV, which chronologically comes right before), and given most functions require Rush to alter his body it makes sense he has a limit.
Game Mechanics imo.

The case I brought up isn't a game mechanic though, Mega Man has to ask Light to modify Rush despite the fact that Rush Space was introduced way back in MMII and was present in MMIV. And it's not a matter of if Light would downgrade Rush or not, but a matter of whether or not Rush can have so many functions at the same time (Most of Rush's functions change the way his body works, it's not far-fetched to think some of then wouldn't work with each other).

To be fair, some basically do the same thing like the aforementioned Space Rush, Rush Jet, Rush Coil.

And some modes don't even change him at all and/or are not combat applicable: I mean, look at Rush Search from MM7 & 8.

His Super Adaptors do make it weird AF, ngl...

But man, it's hard to say if he really can have all those functions.

I mean, things like Rush Search or the Rush Jet add-onns shouldn't cause any trouble

Again, Mega Man got more powerful gradually via feats and fighting stronger opponents over the course of the games like any other character does on this site. There's no evidence or implications to suggest that Light constantly upgrades Rock every single game (which if that were the case then how the hell did Rock lose the Slide and Charge Shot in MM9 and MM10?) and, as I've explained before, there were occasional upgrades that only boosted AP but didn't fully explain his more impressive feats. The only full-body upgrade Rock received was in Mega Man 11 with the Double Gear System and yet it still only boosted select stats and his feats are more reliable and telling than the upgrades he gets. I honestly don't know where people get these ideas from. That's like saying Rock is bound by the three laws of robotics and that too many Special Weapons can cause him to go mad which is all just a mix of head canon and cross-canon from other irrelevant media. This is exactly why we need to fix the older profiles by cleaning up misconceptions and false information.

As for the Special Weapon limitations, I have to agree that there is no limit stated. In the games, he usually can only carry eight, but then there are other utility items that are taken into account which boosts the capacity to like ten or twelve. Then other games like Wily Wars and SAR suggest Rock can carry sixteen weapons or possibly more (in addition to utilities). So it keeps changing between 8 to 16 and then more, but again there is no stated limit in lore. However, it is noted that Rock does discard weapons each time in every game for newer ones, we know this. So perhaps a compromise works here? If the OP allows it in a thread, Rock can use all of his Special Weapons or alternatively, they can list a maximum of 8 or 16 weapons that Rock can use at a time. So depending on what the OP states, Rock can either use all weapons or a select amount. This could help with balancing as well so Rock doesn't completely hax opponents and makes a fight seem more interesting imo. However, this could present a problem that people not well-versed with Rock as a character can unfairly give him crap weapons against a challenging opponent, but perhaps we can call these instances out and stop them ourselves. This idea could apply to the whole Rush dilemma as well perhaps.

But that's what I think. Any thoughts or suggestions?

IMO, as much as I hate this, we should give Rock a 16 weapons limit each time. It would be unfair to make it bigger just because.

@Da_Lunge_Fish
I don't think that's entirely fair either. Characters like Mario and Kirby don't seem to have this problem and they can use the majority of their arsenal just fine despite what their respective game mechanics suggest. Giving the choice of either limiting or allowing the entirety of Rock's arsenal seems the fairest for the sake of balancing depending on the type of opponent he's facing. For example, if Rock is facing an opponent with an outrageous arsenal or hax and Rock is only limited to 16 weapons, what's he going to do? Alternatively, if Rock is facing an opponent with a small arsenal with his entire arsenal, then Rock outright outhaxes and outguns no problem. Both instances aren't fair. So that's why I think the OP deciding on limiting or allowing Rock's entire arsenal seems the most reasonable.

@Da_Lunge_Fish
I don't think that's entirely fair either. Characters like Mario and Kirby don't seem to have this problem and they can use the majority of their arsenal just fine despite what their respective game mechanics suggest. Giving the choice of either limiting or allowing the entirety of Rock's arsenal seems the fairest for the sake of balancing depending on the type of opponent he's facing. For example, if Rock is facing an opponent with an outrageous arsenal or hax and Rock is only limited to 16 weapons, what's he going to do? Alternatively, if Rock is facing an opponent with a small arsenal with his entire arsenal, then Rock outright outhaxes and outguns no problem. Both instances aren't fair. So that's why I think the OP deciding on limiting or allowing Rock's entire arsenal seems the most reasonable.
IMO, Mario and Kirby should also be restricted, not the other way around.

OP seems to make sense. I'm okay with that.

The weapons limit is, uh, less clear for me. As had been stated, many player characters, such as Mario or Kirby, have a gigantic arsenal of weapons and power-ups, and yet there's not usually a problem. In my opinion, honestly, we should have all of Mega Man's Special Weapons as Optional Equipment, while leaving the most objectively standard gear and upgrades Mega Man has as Standard Equipment. (The Charge Shot, the Mega Arm, the Double-Gear System, Rush, etc.)

Kirby actually does this, and Mario should honestly have this done with his profile as well.

I remember that Samus Aran also does this as well.

If Mario doesn’t do this, that’s gonna have to be addressed to the Mario supporters in their own CRT.

I don't think all of his Special Weapons should be listed as Optional Equipment. Otherwise, people will get the wrong impression and think his Special Weapons aren't entirely his or non-canon or something and may leave it in the backburner unless absolutely necessary. Meanwhile, people may end up using only Mega Man with his basic abilities (Mega Buster and Double Gear System) in the forefront in versus debates if that makes any sense so that wouldn't be entirely fair. At least, that's how I see it going if that happens. I still think my proposal about the OP's choice is the best option.

Optional Equipment should be weapons or utilities that he wouldn't usually have access to or received by unconventional means such as the Item Shop upgrades and Proto Man's Shield. Mega Arm would apply to this since he only used it in one game and it never appeared again so it's not clear if he still has it, especially since it was only created to combat the Stardroids. The Special Weapons, I think, are not truly optional since they're usually reoccurring in a couple of the games and they are abilities Mega Man canonically owns as he copied them personally and used them a game's length at a time.

With that being said, I think there should be multiple separate tabs in the Power & Abilities section for Rock as follows: Base (including Double Gear System), Variable Weapons System (or Special Weapons), Resistances (more on this later) and Optional Equipment. Base would have Rock's standard equipment (like the Mega Buster and Double Gear System) and Optional Equipment would have unconventional things like the Proto Shield, various shop upgrades and other things that he may or may not have received without the player's input. But we'll get more into the specifics of the tabs at a later time.

Last edited:
Anywho, I’ll be writing what I feel is the best solution shortly.

Writing his Special Weapons in a separate tab seems like a perfectly logical solution. It allows a sense of separation while allowing Mega Man to continue having access to his weapons, which he uses all the time.

I'm fine with X_Squared's suggestion.

Yeah. After reading X Squared's suggestion, I feel like that's the best way.

To add on, I feel as if in his Notable Abilities sections, we can list all of his weapons and abillities with tabbers categorized by elements. For example, the Ice Weapons Tabber would have Ice Slasher, Ice Wall, Freeze Cracker, Chill Spike, Blizzard Attack, etc. With a slide of Rock using each ability and each weapon having a sentence or 2 describing how the weapon operates.

Does this additional information help?

Also, since there are more staff member in agreement with this, can we carry out the revisions? Or would we have to wait a little longer? @Antvasima

@Migue79

Yeah, I agree. Maybe we can split up his Special Weapons by elements and types to make it easier to categorize them? But I agree that will make things look nicer, showcase Rock's arsenal much better and make it easier for viewers to understand his arsenal.

Yeah, we should find what information and stuff we need to correct by searching through more of the pages. Better to get a grasp on everything now I guess.

I am currently working on Manga Rock's profile. Once it is done, I'll share it here.

Bumping.

If nobody minds, I'l get started in applying the Manga revisions first.

To add on, I feel as if in his Notable Abilities sections, we can list all of his weapons and abillities with tabbers categorized by elements. For example, the Ice Weapons Tabber would have Ice Slasher, Ice Wall, Freeze Cracker, Chill Spike, Blizzard Attack, etc.
Oh, yeah, I almost didn't notice this.

While this seems like a good solution, it also brings a problem: Mega Man can't have access to all of his weapons in his (Future) first key. Weapons should also be divided between pre and post Mega Man V

Oh so then Pre-MMV Mega Man has weapons 1-V and Post-MMV Mega Man has everything (1-11)? Yeah, that's something we didn't think about but it makes sense to me.

> For AP it makes sense for me because he goes from getting one-shot by Terra at the very beginning of the game to defeating Sunstar who is by all means superior to all the Stardroids.

jsyk rockman's buster was upgraded to the mega arm in V so we can probably separate the AP in keys, since V takes place in between 5 and 6? that's consistent with duo too so

Cut Man and Wood Man Reappeared in MM8, and I don't think Wily upgrades them. He only creates new robots.
Werent those fights exclusive to the Sega Saturn version? Cut Man’s fight I recall is optional, and Wood Man is a mandatory miniboss in Search Man’s Stage.

Saturn and PS1 are mostly the same, but I wouldn't leave either version out if they're similar enough.

Back