• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MCU Thanos’ Formatting

Does it really matter?
Does it matter to question it? Starting it with caps sounds like it's its name, same with calling it the [name].
Yes… that’s literally what that section is for.
Untrue, the profile can give a basic reason of what varies and based on what, whereas the evidence shows the evidence and specifics.
Why though? A note serves the purpose just fine. Also the note is literally linked in the AP section so-
It's incompetent, what the AP should have done was pushed into a note.
And…? It’s not misleading to say it’s a younger version because it is factually a younger version.
A younger version sounds like a weaker version, but take away 5 years from a 1000-year-old alien that looks the same than his version from 5 years in the future and he either isn't weaker or not notably so as implied by callin him younger. If Thor and Hulk fought evenly and the latter had some tiny, superficial cut in an arm that he wasn't bothered by at all it would sure be factual to portray that in his profile as "While wounded, fought evenly with Thor", but misleading as it would imply greater damage.
You wanna like… give scans?
It's there, of the last 3 images the one in the middle.

Untrue, the profile can give a basic reason of what varies and based on what, whereas the evidence shows the evidence and specifics.
Honestly, seems redundant. It’s basically like going “it varies based on size because Gamora said it varies based on size”
It's incompetent, what the AP should have done was pushed into a note.
Aside from the fact that you calling it incompetent is both unnecessary and subjective, it literally serves the exact same purpose. Also again, why? You keep saying that it should’ve done that, but you aren’t giving actual reasons.
A younger version sounds like a weaker version, but take away 5 years from a 1000-year-old alien that looks the same than his version from 5 years in the future and he either isn't weaker or not notably so as implied by callin him younger. If Thor and Hulk fought evenly and the latter had some tiny, superficial cut in an arm that he wasn't bothered by at all it would sure be factual to portray that in his profile as "While wounded, fought evenly with Thor", but misleading as it would imply greater damage.
Low-key just seems like nitpicking but whatever.

Honestly, seems redundant. It’s basically like going “it varies based on size because Gamora said it varies based on size”
Let it be that way.
Aside from the fact that you calling it incompetent is both unnecessary and subjective, it literally serves the exact same purpose. Also again, why? You keep saying that it should’ve done that, but you aren’t giving actual reasons.
Why you want to do things unlike any other profile and point the mechanics of how the character works not written when calling about it but it needing its own tiny note for one to aim at it and see another space of wording pointing it out, saying it's incompetent it's not subjective, by that logic it also serves the exact same purpose to have the note link into another page that has the mechanic of how this bit of the character works.
Low-key just seems like nitpicking but whatever.
It is, I knew some of the things I pointed out since years yet didn't mind them. Now that I go over the profile I talk about them as I would rather not have them that way, so yeah.

Let it be that way.
Why would you want it to be redundant, that makes no sense.
Why you want to do things unlike any other profile and point the mechanics of how the character works not written when calling about it but it needing its own tiny note for one to aim at it and see another space of wording pointing it out, saying it's incompetent it's not subjective, by that logic it also serves the exact same purpose to have the note link into another page that has the mechanic of how this bit of the character works.
Since when is having a note explaining something in the AP justification “unlike any other profile?” Also that’s not the same logic at all, how is linking to another page the same as having a note at the bottom of a page…

Why would you want it to be redundant, that makes no sense.
Being redundant helps get things better to all kinds of viewers, most "Varies" tiers vary due to more normal reasons like grows in powers, and the Varies in AP would already be saying how foes on his level get harmed but can take attacks from the stones and how he has used it on a moon at less than 5-A power, the Tier gets to the point by saying the character's tier, how his weapon varies & why, and up to what it does, hence the latter can't simply be used on anyone as they already saw that it's about size and not some point in time where it was 5-A.
Since when is having a note explaining something in the AP justification “unlike any other profile?” Also that’s not the same logic at all, how is linking to another page the same as having a note at the bottom of a page…
Most profiles have their Tier & AP be self-explanatory by at worst adding some extra words in the Tier and AP (outside the parentheses), or well inside the parentheses in AP. That way you can see how everything works by seeing the Tier or well the AP, to go as far as to make a note below or do something special to get into the basics of how the character works would need the stuff going on to be notably esoteric and controversial. Thanos' case isn't special, there is no reason for us to give him a special treatment nor others to see such a thing having been done for no reason, it's unprofessional.

Being redundant helps get things better to all kinds of viewers, most "Varies" tiers vary due to more normal reasons like grows in powers, and the Varies in AP would already be saying how foes on his level get harmed but can take attacks from the stones and how he has used it on a moon at less than 5-A power, the Tier gets to the point by saying the character's tier, how his weapon varies & why, and up to what it does, hence the latter can't simply be used on anyone as they already saw that it's about size and not some point in time where it was 5-A.
The current format already performs this because the Varies justification literally says that the power of the stone varies based on size lmao
Most profiles have their Tier & AP be self-explanatory by at worst adding some extra words in the Tier and AP (outside the parentheses), or well inside the parentheses in AP. That way you can see how everything works by seeing the Tier or well the AP, to go as far as to make a note below or do something special to get into the basics of how the character works would need the stuff going on to be notably esoteric and controversial. Thanos' case isn't special, there is no reason for us to give him a special treatment nor others to see such a thing having been done for no reason, it's unprofessional.
There is not one universal procedure on when to add notes to a page and when not to, so I don’t know why you’re acting like there is. If it really was unprofessional, like you claim, I’m pretty sure that the numerous people in this thread (like the two staff members that already accepted the changes) would’ve pointed it out. You say that the AP section should show how everything works, but the note on Thanos’ page is literally linked in his AP section. And even if it wasn’t, there is nothing wrong with putting a note to explain how something works, literally all you have to do is scroll down.

It honestly seems like you’re trying to create an issue where there really isn’t one.

• Why we call his sword "the Double-Bladed Sword"? It is its real name? Does it start in caps? If not just call it "his sword", or "his double-bladed sword" at worst.
It's called the Double Edged Sword on the Wiki but I suspect it's a misnomer or based on merchandising
As such it it should be: "The Power Stone Varies depending on the target's size (Gamora stated that the Power Stone has a variable power level based on the size of the target, Ronan needed to arrive at Xandar to destroy the planet's surface. Thanos could match and overpower opposition on around his same physical level, and tore apart half the surface of Titan's moon), up to Large Planet level (When used on a planet, the Power Stone was used to displace its surface and atmosphere)"
The problem there is Xandar is a planet so why would we be assuming it isn't comparable to the other planetary showing for the Power Stone? There's not much reason to say it's overwhelmingly smaller then the world Eson ravaged and Ronan even claims he'd burn Xandar to it's core.
The elaboration on Thanos sized foes is perfectly fine though
  1. That way it also points out 5-A being against planets, not "celestial bodies", which can even be something smaller than a moon.
  • "Should be far stronger than his subordinates, like Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian." is now kinda misleading, BP's what-if shows an alt. Thanos not much unlike our Thanos getting bodied by his ex-subordinates. We can have the headcanon that he doesn't do as much training or some sh*t since a few years ago and that this applies hard to this 1000-year-old guy, but his subordinates are "comparable", not far stronger.
TBH I don't think we should base scaling off of What If?, we see Proxima's staff wound him there, the Zombie episode has him be turned but then Hulk just stonewalls a horde and there's probably tons of shit I need to find by actively watching
  • "His younger incarnation" is misleading as it's 5 years younger and he's 1000-year-old.
I'd prefer the wording of "his 2014 self" but it's not that misleading; this is a Thanos who has none of the character development he did in IW and fights completely differently, much more brutally befitting a galactic warlord
  • "Could easily crush the Eye of Agamotto." is false? It was a fake one and has no listed durability.
True
* "higher with armor" is false, it got crushed before his body did when Wanda attacked him.
Works
Yeah Planetary/Multi-planetary might fit better here
  • His SE says he has the Infinity Gauntlet, which is correct, but it should none how it has none of its stones and up to all of them, the other "Infinity Gauntlet" there isn't noted under OE, which it should be.
  • Also can we add in his Intelligence how he told Iron Man that he wasn't the only one cursed with knowledge, which, if it's not misleading, implies himself to have a remarkable intelligence?
I'm unsure if that means outright intelligence rather then something else. We certainly never see Thanos be intelligent in the same way as Tony

Also can we add in his Intelligence how he told Iron Man that he wasn't the only one cursed with knowledge, which, if it's not misleading, impli
I don't know of we should take the word of Thanos at face face when talking about his intelligence. He could easily be High balling himself, especially when he considers that he's the only one who's seen the truth of universe's crisis.

I don't know of we should take the word of Thanos at face face when talking about his intelligence. He could easily be High balling himself, especially when he considers that he's the only one who's seen the truth of universe's crisis.
It could also be a kind of "we're not so different" monologue since Tony also struggled all his life for his ideals and Thanos already has a great deal of respect for Tony.

The current format already performs this because the Varies justification literally says that the power of the stone varies based on size lmao
Nothing to say then, the other points I said remain.
There is not one universal procedure on when to add notes to a page and when not to, so I don’t know why you’re acting like there is.
Yet there is a normal way we do things and clear reasons for when we don't. The reasons were already given.
If it really was unprofessional, like you claim, I’m pretty sure that the numerous people in this thread (like the two staff members that already accepted the changes) would’ve pointed it out.
Consider this less so related to the CRT and more so over the comment quoted.

You should reconsider if it was worth your time to have kept in mind and mentioned that piece of trivia. It doesn't matter that I'm the first to disagree with something over how others could have done it first, and how some weren't staff and some were. That is a bad logic to have and yet you're the one later saying that "It honestly seems like you’re trying to create an issue where there really isn’t one", you lacked the experience to know that it doesn't much matter how much people and staff may agree with something, it is perfectly possible for someone to come in and disagree. Heck I even kinda do this on a regular basis on CRTs where a bunch of abilities are added, noticing a good number of mistakes or well new abilities missed, people agree with things really, really fast, and faster so if there was already others agreeing to things. They are that influenceable, and speaking of which, in that sense it is cheap from your part to appeal to the agreement so far, we can all see it, and regardless of it I still made my comment, imagine if mention the agreement so far was more often done over comments that come to disagree, that would be unnecessay.
You say that the AP section should show how everything works, but the note on Thanos’ page is literally linked in his AP section. And even if it wasn’t, there is nothing wrong with putting a note to explain how something works, literally all you have to do is scroll down.
It doesn't need to have extra steps, it can and has to just do its job correctly.
It honestly seems like you’re trying to create an issue where there really isn’t one.
I see this as a lack of self-reflection, I can say the same to you. Please rewatch your first comment that replied to mine and reconsider why do you want to do things unlike we do things on the AP, I'm not the one who couldn't evaluate what you say to the point of understanding it and simply disagreeing and have to instead question it all for the reasoning behind.
It's called the Double Edged Sword on the Wiki but I suspect it's a misnomer or based on merchandising
Then we don't know if it has a name.
The problem there is Xandar is a planet so why would we be assuming it isn't comparable to the other planetary showing for the Power Stone? There's not much reason to say it's overwhelmingly smaller then the world Eson ravaged and Ronan even claims he'd burn Xandar to it's core.
The elaboration on Thanos sized foes is perfectly fine though
We do assume it is planet-sized, that would just point out how he needed to get to that planet to use the "full" power of the stone, which is back to back with Gamora's statement. Also I'm pretty sure that "burn Xandar to it's core" is more so poetic and over how the race living there will be no more, as they did say that the surface would be destroyed.
TBH I don't think we should base scaling off of What If?, we see Proxima's staff wound him there, the Zombie episode has him be turned but then Hulk just stonewalls a horde and there's probably tons of shit I need to find by actively watching
There should matter less, that's true. But there are still the only canon place where they fought and we otherwise just assume that, since they work for Thanos, they should be far weaker.

(Also zombie Thanos was some BS at the last moment to look cool regardless of if it made sense and everything else shown on the stories show hold more water.)
I'd prefer the wording of "his 2014 self" but it's not that misleading; this is a Thanos who has none of the character development he did in IW and fights completely differently, much more brutally befitting a galactic warlord
2014 self works. I don't think the Thanos in IW we point out didn't have any meaningful character development for the purpose of its AP.
I'm unsure if that means outright intelligence rather then something else. We certainly never see Thanos be intelligent in the same way as Tony
It would be "in the same way" in a very limited way and self-contained.
I believe it should be added while the wording notes how it is just his word, he's a madman but he did improve things in Gamora's planet, he was wrong on some things and right on others, if the comment he did to Tony isn't misleading that then it could be around as meaningful as it sounds.

If it's not added then that's fine too, that bit was something small.
It could also be a kind of "we're not so different" monologue since Tony also struggled all his life for his ideals and Thanos already has a great deal of respect for Tony.
Well, ideally such a trope is done when it makes sense to use it, other times it's thrown at random, like "I could have killed you every time wanted to". Thanos saying this could show a bit of his character, "Hi" "You know me?" "I'm considered smart among standard minds too".

he's a madman but he did improve things in Gamora's planet, he was wrong on some things and right on others
This is actually iffy. Because in GotG the backstory for Gamora states outright that her entire species is dead, meaning Thanos could be deluding himself.

Then we don't know if it has a name.
Well we have to name it something; do you have a suggestion or shall it just be "Thanos' sword"
We do assume it is planet-sized, that would just point out how he needed to get to that planet to use the "full" power of the stone, which is back to back with Gamora's statement. Also I'm pretty sure that "burn Xandar to it's core" is more so poetic and over how the race living there will be no more, as they did say that the surface would be destroyed.
It probably is; but it wouldn't be entirely inconsistent with what we see the Stone is capable of
There should matter less, that's true. But there are still the only canon place where they fought and we otherwise just assume that, since they work for Thanos, they should be far weaker.
I'm not a fan of authority = asskicking as universally applicable but I think we shouldn't be using What If? as an Anti-feat
(Also zombie Thanos was some BS at the last moment to look cool regardless of if it made sense and everything else shown on the stories show hold more water.)
How dare you he looks baller as hell
2014 self works. I don't think the Thanos in IW we point out didn't have any meaningful character development for the purpose of its AP.
I'd argue he does. Thanos in 2018 seems so much more aloof; less willing to go for the killing blow compared to 2014 Thanos, who is absolutely in this for the killing blow and is not playing around at all (to the point he's willing to tear down the universe)
It would be "in the same way" in a very limited way and self-contained.
I mean he's a capable and charismatic warlord but we never see him reproduce the same feats of raw intellect and engineering as Tony
I believe it should be added while the wording notes how it is just his word, he's a madman but he did improve things in Gamora's planet, he was wrong on some things and right on others, if the comment he did to Tony isn't misleading that then it could be around as meaningful as it sounds.
TBH didn't Guardians mention Gamora is the last of her people? The Russos even claimed "someone is lying"
it's not added then that's fine too, that bit was something small.

Well, ideally such a trope is done when it makes sense to use it, other times it's thrown at random, like "I could have killed you every time wanted to". Thanos saying this could show a bit of his character, "Hi" "You know me?" "I'm considered smart among standard minds too".
Yeah I think it adds to his character and why Endgame Thanos is such a boring, Phase 2 rendition

This is actually iffy. Because in GotG the backstory for Gamora states outright that her entire species is dead, meaning Thanos could be deluding himself.
Mm, I never imagined this take. Only it objectively being a retcon due to forgetting what was said in that "old" movie. It most likely was objectively a retcon as we do see Thanos in a flashback only killing over half of a group of beings in that planet and he was very sure of how children grow happy or whatever stuff he said happened in that planet since then, Thanos' insane but not to that degree of self-delusion to imagine the a planet he attacked to grow better.
Well we have to name it something; do you have a suggestion or shall it just be "Thanos' sword"
Call it "his sword". Just because it wouldn't make sense to say "[Tier], higher with Thanos' sword". Unless it's another profile talking about it in which case sure.
It probably is; but it wouldn't be entirely inconsistent with what we see the Stone is capable of
Ok.
I'm not a fan of authority = asskicking as universally applicable but I think we shouldn't be using What If? as an Anti-feat
Then I simply disagree due to the reasons given before.
How dare you he looks baller as hell
True, and granted unlike Thanos being convinced he was wrong I would rather have "cool but nonsensical" things like this; quickly shown & moved on from, thus inconsequential to the stories, I hope that isn't the whole idea behind the what-ifs.
I mean he's a capable and charismatic warlord but we never see him reproduce the same feats of raw intellect and engineering as Tony
He's not as intelligent as Tony, that would high-ball what he said. He just implied that he considers himself or is considered by others to have "knowledge", some form of intelligence that most others would not have, and therefore is hunted by this form of intelligence or its responsibilities. W/o it being on the same scale of intelligence as Tony.
TBH didn't Guardians mention Gamora is the last of her people? The Russos even claimed "someone is lying"
I didn't know this.
Yeah I think it adds to his character and why Endgame Thanos is such a boring, Phase 2 rendition
That's correct, Endgame Thanos sucks.

Only it objectively being a retcon due to forgetting what was said in that "old" movie. It most likely was objectively a retcon as we do see Thanos in a flashback only killing over half of a group of beings in that planet and he was very sure of how children grow happy or whatever stuff he said happened in that planet since then, Thanos' insane but not to that degree of self-delusion to imagine the a planet he attacked to grow better.
I'm not 100% sure here. This is the Russos on it
In Infinity War, Thanos says that all the children on Gamoras planet eat well after the purge but in Guardians, Gamora says she was the last of her race. The Russo Brothers were asked about this nitpick and they responded “Who do you believe? Do you believe Thanos or Gamora?”
Like both have reasons of deluding themselves yes, but why would the Nova Corps have wrong information? Thanos is so devoted to his idea being right that he's willing to atomize the universe to accomplish his goals. The "Mad" part of "Mad Titan" isn't that he's angry and much as incredibly insane.

Ah new I wasn't misremembering
Mm, I never imagined this take. Only it objectively being a retcon due to forgetting what was said in that "old" movie. It most likely was objectively a retcon as we do see Thanos in a flashback only killing over half of a group of beings in that planet and he was very sure of how children grow happy or whatever stuff he said happened in that planet since then, Thanos' insane but not to that degree of self-delusion to imagine the a planet he attacked to grow better.
Thing is I feel the writers imply it isn't a retcon but that's just me. My guess is Thanos didn't observe long-term effects and the descent happened afterwards
Call it "his sword". Just because it wouldn't make sense to say "[Tier], higher with Thanos' sword". Unless it's another profile talking about it in which case sure.
Thanos Sword
Thanos Sword
Then I simply disagree due to the reasons given before.
Your prerogative; I definitely think What If? is going to come up in it's own thread
True, and granted unlike Thanos being convinced he was wrong I would rather have "cool but nonsensical" things like this; quickly shown & moved on from, thus inconsequential to the stories, I hope that isn't the whole idea behind the what-ifs.
TBH I'd be down with seeing a bit more stuff. I'd love to see what would happen if Gamora used the Stones (Ala Infinity Warps) or even what if Tony failed to stop the Nuke.
He's not as intelligent as Tony, that would high-ball what he said. He just implied that he considers himself or is considered by others to have "knowledge", some form of intelligence that most others would not have, and therefore is hunted by this form of intelligence or its responsibilities. W/o it being on the same scale of intelligence as Tony.
Ah gotcha; it's not entirely quantifiable but more of a character detail right?
I didn't know this.
I'll try and dig up the WOG
That's correct, Endgame Thanos sucks.
Based Endgame Thanos boring

Back