• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Comics: Captain America's High 1-B shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdiosyncraticLawyer

Username Only
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Administrator
Content Moderator
Translation Helper
Captain America's shield should have High Hyperverse level durability for taking a hit from Odinforce Thor with only a dent he later hammered out (2003, Avengers Vol 3 #63). This durability is consistent, as the five times it's been broken show:
  1. (1982, Avengers Vol 1 #215) Molecule Man disintegrated it with his High 1-B hax.
  2. (1984, Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars Vol 1 #12) Doctor Doom broke it with the Incomplete Cosmic Cube Beyonder's High 1-B power.
  3. (1991, Infinity Gauntlet Vol 1 #4) Thanos shattered it with the Infinity Gauntlet's Low 1-A power.
  4. (1998, Captain America Vol 3 #13/#21) A High 1-B wish from the Incomplete Cosmic Cube Beyonder's power caused a molecular flaw that shattered the shield via vibranium cancer.
  5. (2011, Fear Itself Vol 1 #5) Cul Borson breaks it with his High 1-B power augmented with humanity's fear.

I'm not sure about the feat of surviving being hit by Thor, but I don't think being destroyed in some way by high 1-B powers makes the shield high 1-B.

Universal characters destroying a planet doesn't make the planet universal.

I'm willing to bet surviving the hit from Thor is an outlier, so I'm leaning towards disagreeing, but I will wait to see what others think.

I'm not sure about the feat of surviving being hit by Thor, but I don't think being destroyed in some way by high 1-B powers makes the shield high 1-B.

Universal characters destroying a planet doesn't make the planet universal.

I'm willing to bet surviving the hit from Thor is an outlier, so I'm leaning towards disagreeing, but I will wait to see what others think.
To be an outlier, the shield would have to have been consistently damaged by stuff far weaker than High 1-B. The point of bringing up the five times it's been broken was to show that only forces equal to or above High 1-B have ever damaged it, so it can't be an outlier.
From our Powerscaling page:
Character A has a City level feat. Character B lost to Character A, yet still put up a considerable fight, was able to harm him and clearly made Character A exert effort into defeating Character B, then it is safe to assess that Character B has City level Attack Potency and Durability as well.
Odinforce Thor clearly had to exert himself to dent the shield, though he probably could have broken it if he'd kept hammering away at it, so yes, the scaling is valid.

Neutral for two reasons
1. Our consistency rules regarding comics
2. Only one of those feats (Thor) are valid durability feat. The remaining is not durability feats cause the shield was literally destroyed. It is not a durability feat if the shield did not survive the attacks.

Hence it is safe to say this can be considered an outlier.

Neutral for two reasons
1. Our consistency rules regarding comics
2. Only one of those feats (Thor) are valid durability feat. The remaining is not durability feats cause the shield was literally destroyed. It is not a durability feat if the shield did not survive the attacks.

Hence it is safe to say this can be considered an outlier.
To be an outlier, the shield would have to have been consistently damaged by stuff far weaker than High 1-B. The point of bringing up the five times it's been broken was to show that only forces equal to or above High 1-B have ever damaged it, so it can't be an outlier.

Odinforce Thor clearly had to exert himself to dent the shield, though he probably could have broken it if he'd kept hammering away at it, so yes, the scaling is valid.

Currently neutral, but I don’t think bringing up examples of High 1-B stuff breaking the shield is good support for it having High 1-B durability.

Currently neutral, but I don’t think bringing up examples of High 1-B stuff breaking the shield is good support for it having High 1-B durability.
As I said:

Well I guess it makes sense that the shield downscales from the weakest character that broke it, but I also agree that it needs more feats of surviving hits from strong people if it's a 2-A or 1-C unable to break the shield should be good.

As I said:
I saw what you said, I don’t think that logic works very well. Yes, the shield blocking an attack from Odinforce Thor (even though it still took damage) is a High 1-B feat, but including examples of it being destroyed by other High 1-B things don’t exactly paint a picture of the shield being that tier consistently.

If you could find other examples of it actually withstanding High 1-B attacks, then you could argue consistency.

I saw what you said, I don’t think that logic works very well. Yes, the shield blocking an attack from Odinforce Thor (even though it still took damage) is a High 1-B feat, but including examples of it being destroyed by other High 1-B things don’t exactly paint a picture of the shield being that tier consistently.

If you could find other examples of it actually withstanding High 1-B attacks, then you could argue consistency.
Basically this.

Heck, even Tier 2 feats or Tier 1 feats below High 1-B for the shield's durability would be good support.

Agree the upgrade, though I recommend gathering some more supporting feats.

The shield also withstood an attack from a Celestial (A.X.E.: Judgment Day #4)

Edit: Cap's Shield also endured a blow from Incomplete Odinforce Thor, who was momentarily unable to control his actions. (Thor (Vol. 6) #15)

Last edited:
The shield withstanding a being that can kill 1-Bs isn't a good support feat?
Considering one of the feats is that Thor had to make an effort to dent the shield but the celestial who casually killed Thor can't event scratch it, does that seem consistent?

Considering one of the feats is that Thor had to make an effort to dent the shield but the celestial who casually killed Thor can't event scratch it, does that seem consistent?
Yes? It's not a direct focused attack from the Celestial so it's entirely likely that it didn't do as much against the shield as a focused blast did.

Also, what are you even trying to say here? That it should be higher? Cause so far it's;

• 2 feats of it tanking High 1-B attacks.
  • High 1-B to Low 1-A attacks being needed to break it.

The celestial was very casually killing all the top tiers in there including phoenix force 1-A (should be comparable to other phoenix hosts), and you think it's good to have a 1-A character support a 1- B tier? Even being AoE it's still doesn't make it infinitely inferior.
Not saying it's higher I'm saying that specific fest does not support 1-B

Last edited:
Basically what they said. It is not so consistent to get a solid rating.
1. Thor held back and could dent it.
2. It could withstand damage from someone who can casually kill Thor.

When did that happen?
gg6AIv2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back