• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Thor's Sokovia Feat

Well, it isn't as inconsistent, but, for example, Captain America, who was barely able to stop a helicopter, was also able to damage Iron Man, and the matchups should recurrently be far more uneven than they are.

So, maybe we could simply consider Thor as 7-B with lightning alone, but at the Hulk's level with his regular strikes?

However, if this would wreak havok with our power-scaling, I suppose that we could continue to consider it as an outlier.

Natse said:
No, but the magazine scan claimed that he can react as fast he can fly because he would be crashing into stuff all the time otherwise. The Speed page states that "most fictional characters do not remotely tend to exhibit FTL or higher movement or perception speed in regular encounters simply because they can fly that swiftly. As such, a character should preferably prove that its regular movement speed is equal to or higher than its flight speed to be listed as such." Note that this rule was applied to comics Post-Crisis Superman.
This is Superman I assume?

Caesar Wolfman said:
And personally I can agree with the magazine. A character's perception speed and ability to turn while moving is very valid and while it should not be a definitive proof of their combat speed, it should be able to be used as further back-up if a characters lacks a lot of speed feats for the sack of quantity, since people seem to care about that.
Had that been the case, jetfighters would have supersonic reflexes.

Matthew Schroeder said:
It's possible. But then I question why he didn't one-shot neither Ultron or Malekith by simply charging lightning for about 5 seconds and hitting them.
He wasn't given the chance to probably. That and Ultron is vibranium and the force would've been sent outward. Which would I think support why Thor went with a small, steady stream of lightning to melt him instead of blasting him with one big attack. Besides, Thor was probably aware of the civilians in Thor2, I mean Jane and Selvig were trying to get people to evacuate and the civilians were more concerned of having something cool to post on facebook. Lastly, I don't think anyone would scale to Thor's charged attack. He has never come close to using this much power in any other showing.

Gemmysaur said:
That and Ultron is vibranium and the force would've been sent outward. Which would I think support why Thor went with a small, steady stream of lightning to melt him instead of blasting him with one big attack.
Vision with Mjolnir and the Hulk sent Ultron flying. Vibranium isn't all that cracked up to be, especially when you had a hammerless Thor fighting Vision evenly in a deleted scene.

Natse said:
Vision with Mjolnir and the Hulk sent Ultron flying. Vibranium isn't all that cracked up to be, especially when you had a hammerless Thor fighting Vision evenly in a deleted scene.
Cap can be sent flying too even with the shield. Doesn't change the fact that the shield can disperse force outward.

If Thor hitting it after a jump can drop trees down like bowling pins, imagine how much collateral damage it would take if he hit it with what he hit Sokovia's vibranium core.

Matthew Schroeder said:
It's possible. But then I question why he didn't one-shot neither Ultron or Malekith by simply charging lightning for about 5 seconds and hitting them.
Simple Solution, because it's fiction. You can point out so many situations where characters could have clearly done something better like when Quicksilver could've grabbed Hawkeye and that child and moved them out of the way.

Antvasima said:
However, if this would wreak havok with our power-scaling, I suppose that we could continue to consider it as an outlier.
The thing is, this blow shouldn't impact any kind of power-scaling because Thor has never used it before or since. Therefore, it's just its own thing.

Well, if it only applies to Thor, I suppose that would simplify matters.

Thor has mostly 9-A+ to 8-C feats with the destruction of the bifrost bridge being 8-A.On the other hand Sokovia's destruction is 236033 times more powerful than the destruction of the bridge (and a few million times stronger than 99% of the top tier feats).How can you not even consider the possibility of this being an outlier.

MCU is inconsistent when it comes to Iron Man who could fight Thor as an almost equal while still losing to Cap and his armors getting destroyed by a speeding truck.

Perhaps there should be a footnote in Thor's page explaining why the Sokovia feat is considered to be an outlier?

Kkapoios said:
Thor has mostly 9-A+ to 8-C feats with the destruction of the bifrost bridge being 8-A.On the other hand Sokovia's destruction is 236033 times more powerful than the destruction of the bridge (and a few million times stronger than 99% of the top tier feats).How can you not even consider the possibility of this being an outlier.
MCU is inconsistent when it comes to Iron Man who could fight Thor as an almost equal while still losing to Cap and his armors getting destroyed by a speeding truck.
I agree with this 100%

Considering he's never really used that much firepower when he knows for sure that there's someone that'd get fried to death nearby, when he doesn't need it or just can't use it for reasons, I think it could be, but Kkapoios does have a point.

The attack being 236033 times stronger than the next strongest thing is quite large. Maybe this can be used later on, once the power creep catches up enough, but not now, I suppose.

So yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with Ant. It's an outlier for now.

By the way.

From what I can gather from Doctor Strange movie promo, a single sorcerer / Master of Mystic Arts > The Avengers.

So, if I'm getting this right, Doc's strength in haxx is to Thor's strength in firepower? Or is he literally above everyone?

Yes, of course. This is Doctor Strange that we are talking about.

@Kkapoios

I did explicitly point out why the destruction of the bridge is actually quite potent in itself, if the Bifrost was able to channel city-destroying energy without fail, even when it was heavily cracked, and the energy it was channeling was enough to cause such a massive explosion, and Thor not only cracked, but shattered the Bifrost, then the energy in that strike had to be enough to overcome the incredibly stable and durable material the Bifrost was made from. It's likely not as high as the Sokovia feat, but it doesn't have to be when you take into account the fact the Sokovia feat was amped, and it was a very specific scenario that channeled the entirety of Thor's blow into the exact spot it needed to be as opposed to letting energy escape, all of these together should make it much more feasible.

From where I stand, all of these things together should mean it's not an outlier. Heavily amped and very situational, yes, but the force Thor put into that blast would be repeatedable, albeit it would not get the same result without the same situation.

Caesar Wolfman said:
Thor not only cracked, but shattered the Bifrost
Thor cracked it enough to leave a hole. The energy blasted right out like a balloon popping.

Looks to me like the bifrost holds MCB level energy at a given time.

If 7-B is too high for the Sokovia feat, I would like to offer the compromise of 7-C, or Town Level, since we know-via Friday's Statements-that without the heat seal, Thor would've only cracked Sokovia, meaning that with just his force alone with a single strike he wouldn't have been able to bust the city and too much energy would've escaped to make it city-busting.

@Gemmysaur

That's what it looks like, but based on the destruction its causing on Jotunheim it is, from my perspective, likely to be higher

You don't really explain why the bridge is City level, you just state it like it is some kind of fact.

Thor could barely crack it with 5 hits from Mjolnir and the explosion was the energy of the bridge that became unstable and exploded, the explosion wasn't Thor's work.

And you don't need to have the same energy as the bridge to destroy it.Take for example a cord that transfers electrical energy, the power it transfers may be 3500 Watts but in order to cut it you may only need 100 Joules.There are different types of energies and each material reacts differently to them.

@Kkapoios

I actually fully explained, the blast we see when it strikes Jotumheim is enveloping an area much larger the MCB level, upwards towards city level, in under a second. Therefore, the energy the bridge must be channeling, and it's ability to handle that energy need to be in the same range.

I never claimed the explosion was Thor's work, only the destruction of the bridge.

Thor didn't cut it, he used blunt force, and that's with a flexible cord made of flimsy flexible metal, this is a crystilline bridge that is able to channel energy what seems to be city-destroying without shattering. The two behave very differently from one another and you're trying to compare something much weaker to something we know is much stronger.

Containing and channeling raw energy requires a lot of durability, by your example, if you run too much electricity through a circuit it will catch on fire and could potentially just snap outright. Whereas larger cables such as telephone cables are able to channel far more energy than a simple power cord and require far more energy to snap them. When slightly damaged cordsusually can't even properly channel that energy anymore, and this bridge was able to channel its energy just fine when it had a nice crack in it. There were no signs of it stopping until it was no longer able to contain its energy.

Feats for Sorcerers before the movie is even out:

Kevin Feige explained in an interview that the reason they never intervened in any of the movies so far was that the threats were too small . Though I really doubt the whole "All of reality will be wiped out" line, since the movie very clearly has a human villain and takes place primarely on Earth. Maybe for a sequel they can reach cosmicl evels.

In the prequel comics:

A single amped sorceress quickly covers London with a dark cloud.

Four sorcerers defeat her, later on.

The Ancient One manages to react to magic arrows that crossed hundreds of meters within seconds.

Combine that with the Spatial Manipulation and Soul Manipulation that they have showcased in trailers, and you'll get a very powerful character

So yes, MCU Doctor Strange hasn't even come out and he already vastly outclasses the Avengers.

Well, he can supposedly also rewind time and fold the space of multiple city blocks into itself. And that is just against a minor minion of Dormammu himself.

So your point is that since it is enveloping the city then it has to be City level though it doesn't seem to have any direct effect while also ignoring the fact that a field can have infinite area of effect.

The bridge was destroyed by the explosion that was caused by the energy inside it, the only thing Thor did was crack it a bit (and each hit could barely leave a small crack on the bridge).

You are missing the point, a gave an example that disproved your statement.And you try to counter act by saying that there are better cords?

No, not enveloping, we see it destroying the area of a city in around a second or so.

And cracking it is incredibly difficult on its own. He also didn't two-hand Mjolnir in that scenario, nor did he try to amp his blow with lightning.

No, I got the point, my point is the more energy something has, the more durable it usually is. You used the example of cords, so I kept on that example. If you have a chunk of rock that contains the same power as the sun, it won't break like any chunk of rock because it's capable of containing the power of a star. That is a simple fact.

Bro do you even physics?

1.When did that happen again?Cause i don't remember it.Do you have a video?

2.So if Thor uses two hands then his strikes are 260000 times more powerful.

3.The durability of an object is the result of the bonds between the molecules, more energy means weaker bonds, since matter "wants" to be in the most stable position aka the one with the less energy.That's why when a nuclear bond (fussion) is created ╬│ radiation is emitted.If you were to put the energy of the sun inside a rock the rock would be turned into quark-gluon plasma.

Well, this is fiction. Extremely powerful objects, such as cosmic cubes that hold a universal scale of power, are recurrently comparatively easily shattered for story purposes.

@Kkapoios

You don't want to start a physics argument with me, trust me.

1. When Loki tried to destroy Jotunheim, we see the Bifrost shoot down and start ripping the planet apart. Unfortunately there's nothing on YouTube, I have the DVD right in front of me, but I can't exactly point you to it, unless you want a timestamp.

2. There's no need to be an asshole about it, using two hands significantly increases your power. Pick up a sledgehammer, hit something with one hand, then two. There's a significant difference. Especially when you're Thor. I gave you multiple reasons that the power of Sokovia's strike is far more reasonable than you're making it out to be. If you want to nitpick my argument, that only shows you have no actual ground to stand on.

3. You're avoiding my point, if there were a rock capable of holding it, that means the bonds are still strong enough to keep the rock from breaking apart. If you have something-like the Bifrost-that are capable of maintaining their bonds without melting when they have insane amounts of power channeling through them, then clearly their bonds are stronger than normal bonds, and their bonds are capable of taking a lot more energy. The bifrost doesn't even get hot, it just lights up in pretty colors, which means the bonds aren't even close to breaking in that bridge. If that's the case, then the bridge is incredibly stable and its bonds are incredibly hard to break. Enough so that city-busting energy doesn't phase it.

@antvasima

This is true, but you can't really apply that logic to everything, especially when thus far, powerful objects in the MCU haven't been shown to be that incredibly weak. I highly doubt it was a shock and awe effect.

Well, I grew up reading thousands of Marvel comics. At this point I am extremely jaded about their storytelling style, and the MCU definitely draws upon the basic conventions of the mythology.

1.I don't remember the city getting destroyed by the bridge (which doesn't make sense) so we are going to need evidence for such claims.

2.Of course two hands are better than one but ones strength only multiplies by 2 when using 2 hands instead of one.

3.Sorry i misread the sentace, i though you said that the rock had the power of the sun, not that that the rock could contain the power of the sun.But the energy inside the bridge was MCB level and Thor is ranked MCB level.

"You don't want to start a physics argument with me, trust me."

Well i study physics so even if you know more than me then i'll still gain knowledge from our argument.

1. I can't just magic up a video, Loki activated the Bifrost and blasted the Jotunheim with the intension of ripping it apart, then locked it into place. It did happen and if you want I'll go through the movie and find you the timestamp, and I'll keep looking for a video online, but not much else I can do.

2. Actually, when you use two hands you gain not only the benefits of a single arm, but of using your entire body to strike down into it, you move your legs into it more, you gain a better balance and stance for striking with more power, etc... no it shouldn't bring it a hundred thousand times up, but it will still make a difference, a very significant one if need be.

3. This part of our discussion will only be driven forward if I can find the video evidence or point you to the timestamp and you can watch it yourself

@antvasima Honestly I can't stand Marvel's current direction, I find it incredibly pandering and unecessary. Way too many characters that exist only to make their sect of society look good.

Chill pills are a thing.

So, looks like we're setting aside Sokovia and talking about the bifrost now.

Anyways, will a gif do? I'll be posting it in a minute.

The tiny gif I made turned out to be 66mb and was too large for the wikia to handle.

Here's the outside-the-wiki link.

Back