• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Universe Revisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A disclaimer! This isn't my blog. obviously from the URL, it was made by AdamGregory03. So all the credit goes to him for this blog. I'm gonna go ahead and copy the points over, though, to make the sake of discussion easier.

Now, keep in mind that I don't personally agree with all of the points on here, but I do think there's stuff here that's worth discussing and getting an upgrade for, as Large Star is way lower than Mario's better feats. So without further ado, here's what Adam has to say.

https://versus-compendium.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:AdamGregory03/Mario_Revisions_I_guess

Rosalina Scaling
So, for those who don't know, Rosalina is, basically considered a god-tier of the Mario-verse, mainly due to her feat at the ending of Galaxy of shielding Mario, Peach, and Bowser from a supermassive black hole that's described as threatening the fabric of the universe, followed by her seemingly shutting down said black hole and recreating what it destroyed in it's place. Though because the context was basically her protecting the characters from this, it was commonly thought that Mario and co. can't possibly scale to her. Though there's apparently some arguments to be made to support them being somewhat comparable. (Not saying they can outright recreate the universe themselves, but to say that they can scale to someone who can)

The main argument boils down to the fact that Rosalina has been commonly appearing in playable roles since her debut in Galaxy, and in those roles she's not automatically dwarfing other characters in terms of powers or abilities. I know it may sound silly to scale since it's mostly the spin-off titles such as the sports games, but when you think about it, sports are a form of competition in which people need to perform at their best to win - kinda like a battle. And some of those instances do involve characters being able to physically push around or flinch other characters, including Rosalina, most notably the Mario Party games.

Then we have Super Mario 3D World, which adds even further credence to this. Sure, Rosalina isn't a part of the main game, unlocked in the post-game instead. But once you do unlock her, she's not portrayed as any greater than the four main characters. She can do anything they can, and they can do anything she can, including being able to fight against the same enemies and bosses without them being stomped any harder.

I admit all of this might be pretty iffy, but they are arguments you could make for the Mario cast to scale to Rosalina. Though this is made more consistent through our next subject here...

Addressing Counter-Arguments

• Rosalina's feat was WAY above anything any other character in the series has shown!
    • There are lots of characters in fiction that have superior concrete feats to other characters that those other characters still scale to on account of being shown as comparable to them. There's no reason Mario should be different. By this logic, Vegeta and Frieza still fighting on par with Goku is PIS because his fight with Beerus was better than any feat they've shown before that.
  • In 3D World, Rosalina can get hurt by Goombas! So what, are GOOMBAS universal now?
    • Uh... Actually, we'll get back to this.
Paper Mario Scaling
"But Paper Mario isn't canon! It's established as a separate game series than the main ones! Why're you even bothering to bring it up?"

Because Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam exists.

All right, so for those who don't know, the plot of the game is that there's thing magical disaster thing called the Chaos Heart that's stated to be capable of consuming the universe and that whoever wields it can alter all of existence how they see fit once it's done doing so. And we see an example of this power when a massive void forms in the Sammer's Kingdom that destroys it, leaving behind nothing in it's wake until the kingdom is restored after the game's ending. And yes, this void is caused by the Chaos Heart and stated that it will "swallow all of existence" in the end. Yet, as you can see from the feat linked above, Paper Mario, Peach, and Bowser all manage to survive the destruction of the Sammer's Kingdom, only being knocked out by the void and ending up in another realm. And this isn't even the only example of a universal feat in Paper Mario either. In the ending of Color Splash, Huey takes the black paint to fill out the entirety of the sky, this black paint being the same stuff Bowser coats himself in for the final boss battle, of which Mario is able to damage him.

Normally, this would mean nothing to the canon Mario-verse, as Paper Mario is one of the few exceptions to Miyamoto's "Looney Tunes canon" comment, being actually established as a different reality from the mainline games. However, in Paper Jam, the game's entire premise is the two different realities coming together and joining forces on both the hero and villain sides. Not only are the three-dimensional Mario and Luigi not immediately dwarfed in comparison to the paper plumber (similar to the case with Rosalina in 3D World), but regular Mario and Luigi are clearly just as capable of damaging the same opponents as Paper Mario, including Paper Bowser, who becomes a sort of armor for the regular Bowser for the final boss. Considering Paper Bowser was also present before and after the destruction of the Sammers Kingdom, and that the Mario bros. are able to still hurt him without any kind of power-ups or enhancements... Well, it doesn't get more basic than that for scaling.

Addressing Counter-Arguments

• Tippi could've just teleported Mario away from the destruction!
    • There's nothing indicating that she did that. Tippi's teleportation is accompanied by a sound cue, which did not play during the destruction of the Sammers Kingdom. Even if she did, the Paper peeps were still knocked out afterwards, meaning he had to have survived it to some extent.
Should Mario Party Feats be Counted?
Now, one thing that often comes up when addressing Mario is VS is the debate of whether or not feats from the Mario Party series should be considered legitimate. Perhaps most prominently Mario Party 6's Black Hole Boogie, in which the characters are outright resisting the pull of a black hole (And yes I'm considering it a legit black hole since we can see light being sucked into it). But there's also things like Bowser's Block Battle in Mario Party 9, in which Bowser's casually floating in front of another black hole, this one sucking in large planetoids, only falling in when he's defeated.

The Party series would of course also fall in line with Miyamoto's loose canon statement, and it's not like there's anything that implies they're non-canon or that contradicts any of the other games in the series. But on the other hand, most people don't look into these because... Well, most of this stuff comes from minigames. And while we have minigames that involve escaping black holes, we also have minigames about just doing chores. Rather inconsistent in their displays, I know.

However, in spite of me acknowledging that, I'm actually going to argue for Mario Party being included as viable, and for the sole reason of... Well, the Mario Party stuff really isn't as powerful as the aforementioned stuff we covered.

Let me put it like this: Resisting/escaping the pull of a black hole would normally be a feat that puts a character at Faster Than Light speeds. However, our current ranking for Mario characters lists them as Beyond Massively Faster Than Light (Note from Zephyr: BMFTL is Versus Compendium's term that equivalents to this site's MFTL+) for reasons that don't necessarily pertain to black holes. And most of the Mario cast can scale to each other normally anyhow, regardless if they were around for the proper minigames. So if anything, the Mario Party stuff can be viewed more as minor feats to add consistency.

Plus there's also stuff outside of the minigames, like Bowser and Jr.'s clown cars flying alongside stars travelling across the sky or the fake Millenium Star flying in from the center of the universe. And keep in mind that there are some minigames that are basically minigames just the characters beating the crap out of each other.Meaning even characters like Daisy and Waluigi, who have little screen time outside of these games, are still portrayed as physically on par with the rest of the cast, therefor their feats outside of the Party series. And as long as these types of minigames are still in the series, I'd say it holds enough weight for anyone who's playable in these games to scale.

So, yeah. I'm pro party.

Dreamy Bowser
...Oh boy, this one...

Perhaps without a doubt the one aspect of Mario in VS that has caused the most controversy in the community. For those unaware, in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Bowser obtains a form called Dreamy Bowser which he obtains from inhaling the shattered remains of the Dream Stone. The Dream Stone is, as it's name implies, an item that is fueled by and that encompases dreams. And this game isn't the only time dreams come up as a factor. The manual for Mario Party 5 has some interesting tidbits about this whole thing. The plot of the game revolves around a Dream Depot, which the manual states is where every dream in the Mushroom Kingdom winds up. The manual even implies that dreams are universes in themselves, mainly in regards to the Future Dream board, which has plenty of stars and even constellations in the background.

Now, can we definitively say that, every dream someone in the Mario-verse has is automatically the same size of our own universe? Well, that's impossible to determine as we don't have much to go off other than Future Dream allowing you to "explore the universe". But the fact that Future Dream does have stars and constellations in it is still worth something, and it's not even the only example of constellations being within a dream world. Sure, constellations aren't indications of universes, typically it usually only results in Star to Solar System level stuff. But keep in mind though, if one dream world is big enough to contain numerous stars and some constellations, then what's there to say this can't also apply to other dream worlds?

And in that sense, going back to Mario Party 5, the manual states that the Dream Depot is where the dreams of everyone go to. And assuming that does in fact mean everyone, then that has to count for not only the residents of the Mario-verse's Earth (including both humans and other species), but also the fact that aliens exist. And... well, okay honestly, this is some pretty complicated stuff that's already covered pretty well in depth in this blog post, as well as some other cases of non-dream-related alternate universe shenanigans.

...Oh, right, Dreamy Bowser. Well, basically, Bowser is amped by the Dream Stone, which has control over dreams and likely multiple of them, and dreams are at least their own systems. Mario and Luigi can harm Dreamy Bowser. Pretty blatant, though it whether or not this can be counted as legit universal, a minor feat for consistency, or potentially higher is up to how many dreams we think the Dream Stone encompasses when Bowser gets amped by it. Though there is one thing I want to cover about it...

Addressing Counter Arguments

• Bowser is too stupid to use the full potential of the Dream Stone!
    • Of course, this is from the same guy that legitimately thinks Final Fantasy is sub-bullet level, so he's not someone who really knows what he's talking about. But because there are a few people that think of him as credible (for some reason), yes, Bowser is a meathead. But he's a meathead that hates Mario, and he's got an opportunity to finally be rid of him. What reason would he have for not going all-out with this power, or at least why wouldn't he attempt to do so against a guy he wants to get rid of?
      • And before anyone says anything, I don't really care whether or not Dyph sees this or what his stance on it is as I don't take anything he says from a VS standpoint even remotely seriously.
Do Mooks Scale?
So remember that second counter-argument I brought up for the Rosalina thing? Well if you don't:

In 3D World, Rosalina can get hurt by Goombas! So what, are GOOMBAS universal now?

Well, yeah, actually you could argue that.

We already used this logic for the Piranha Plant page, I'm aware. After all, the enemies are still capable of damaging the Mario crew in general gameplay, though this could be chocked up to gameplay mechanics. What couldn't though is the fact that, in the Mario & Luigi 3DS remakes, there are side modes added in that involve armies of mooks being able to take on the same opponents as the Mario Bros., perhaps most notably being the Superstar Saga remake with the Bowser's Minions side story. It's also been stated that, canonically, while the Mario peeps tend to go down rather easily, they don't actually die from their attacks, meaning they're able to survive them to some extent.

And furthermore, there are also plenty of examples of common Mario enemies competing against the Mario cast aside from direct combat. Enemies like Shy Guys, Hammer Bros., Boos, and Fishy Boop-I mean, Spikes have been playable in numerous spin-off titles, and we even got a playable Goomba in Super Mario Party. And before anyone says that shouldn't count, I again must refer you to my last point while covering Mario Party about how there are minigames that involve the characters physically fighting against each other.

Again, this is something that would kinda make sense when you think about it considering these feats. Funny how one of the most prevalent arguments against Mario being powerful is now being used for the exact opposite effect.

But who DOESN'T scale?
Obviously, I know a lot of what I said may sound like a stretch, since by this logic, that would mean Pauline is also up there in the ranks because she just got added to Mario Tennis. You can probably see how someone wouldn't really buy that. So as much as I would love to say Jimmy T. from WarioWare is universal for the reasons listed above, I think we should also put down a few standards for this scaling, so that way things don't get too out of hand. Basically, I suggest that there be two questions we must answer before determining if a character scales or not:

• Does the character show combat capabilities or abilities that can be used in a fight? - Like how Rosalina scaling also comes from her being playable in 3D World. To use the example of Pauline again, outside of Mario Tennis, the only things we've really seen her do in other games are get kidnapped, sing, and be a mayor. So that would be a point against her scaling.
  • Does the character consistently compete against anyone who does scale? - I.E., how recurring bosses such as the Koopalings and Boom Boom are able to fight against Mario and the crew, leading to Toadette's playable role in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe meaning she can compete with them and alongside the Mario Bros. Therefor, that would be a point for Toadette scaling. (Though reminder, even combat-focused Mario Party minigames would count here) If we haven't seen the character take on even a Goomba or any other mooks, that would be a point against it.
Pretty simple, really.

Conclusion
So tl;dr:

• At least Multi-Galaxy to Universal or higher Mario peeps is legit, consistent, and explainable.
  • Pretty much anyone who's consistent or has shown to be comparable to the major characters can scale.

A note from Zephyr: Megabug was supposedly warping the fabric of the Mario Universe, if that helps to provide consistency, as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UojUuclKao&feature=youtu.be&t=382. Personally, I think this is untrue, but maybe I'm wrong. Zephyr's Personal Thoughts: Rosalina scaling is super wierd, but I think a 3-A rating based on Sammer's Kingdom is more accurate.

Really long thread, but I don't quite agree with any of this to be honest. First of a, Rosalina is legit Universal, but she doesn't scale to anyone but herself as she's overwhelmingly stronger than everyone else and shielded everyone from Universal destruction. Her appearing in 3D World and being portrayed as comparable to the others is probably just game mechanics.

Paper Mario and Mario Party are indeed canon, and Paper Jam just has a weird oddball mechanic. Dreamy Bowser and Chaos Heart are indeed Multiversal, but the former is still a massive outlier for the base Mario cast and the latter was only defeated via Pure Hearts. Goombas harming everyone is literally just game mechanics as they're just fodder enemies. And I don't think anyone can scale from the Sammer universe being erased as the party kinda of got BFR'd before it was erased.

DRB or Cal might have more to say on the matter though.

Game mechanics is sort of a wierd argument. Not that it's without merit, but given previous statements on Canon, I feel like it needs to be a bit more than that. If anything, I should note that Rosalina never actually uses her powers in any of the other games, so it's clear she's not going all-out. also the only defense anyone has raised against that point is that it just doesn't matter ovo

The party did get BFRed, but also keep in mind that they were knocked unconscious (Indicating that they did survive it to some extent) and there was no indication of how they escaped, while nobody else in Sammer's Kingdom was BFRed.

Well, she still pretty much held back and was nerfed for gameplay reasons. Similar to how Dissidia fixes fights so that Tier 6 characters go toe to toe with various Tier 2 characters. And the party in Super Paper Mario were probably knocked out by the shock factor; they were afraid they were going to be engulfed and it didn't mean they tanked the blast. And yeah, the Sammer Guys all got Hakai'd until Super Dimentio was defeated. And yeah, it wasn't explained who teleported them or how they party got teleported back to Flipside; but it could have just been fate.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Well, she still pretty much held back and was nerfed for gameplay reasons. Similar to how Dissidia fixes fights so that Tier 6 characters go toe to toe with various Tier 2 characters. And the party in Super Paper Mario were probably knocked out by the shock factor; they were afraid they were going to be engulfed and it didn't mean they tanked the blast. And yeah, the Sammer Guys all got Hakai'd until Super Dimentio was defeated. And yeah, it wasn't explained who or how they party got teleported back to Flipside; but it could have just been fate.
Fair points. I suppose we should wait until some other people show up.

I don't think it's game mechanics considering that the goombas and other enemies were able to canonically defeat the super fitness friends. And again, canonically, they survive hits from Mario.

Yeah, but it's not like Mario always intends to kill them; plus they all get "Stomped" by Mario; literally. Comparing Goombas to Mario is like comparing Octorocs and Hylian Guards to Link.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Yeah, but it's not like Mario always intends to kill them; plus they all get "Stomped" by Mario; literally. Comparing Goombas to Mario is like comparing Octorocs and Hylian Guards to Link.
Not always. A lot of the time, it's hammer attacks and punches/kicks. And again, super fitness friends.

oh, while I'm here I'd like to point out that the original writer for the blog did this before the site decided Dreamy Bowser should be upgraded to Multiversal, so it wasn't an outlier at the time. Definitely is now tho.

Weren't Paper Mario and Regular Mario already agreed to be the same dude because of the "blocs from your previous adventures" in Superstar Saga?

Popcorn_time.gif

Once more, these "fodder" enemies compete with and against mario and comparable enemies on a regular basis, even if they're weaker (Especially the new modes in the M&L remakes). Thanks to Mario's wierd canon, what's fodder in one game can be an even fight in another.

Aren't Mario party feats already counted?

Bowser and Mario's speed feats both list Mario party feats one of which comes from a mini game.

I think party feats are more for consistency than anything. At this point this verse is either large star or universal. there's like, no in-between.

Anyways, after reading the OP, everything makes sense.

I´m inclined more towards Low 2-C (via the Rosalina, King Boo and etc. type of feats), 2-B can be set as an "possibly" additional rating at best.

And I totally agree with separating the Mario profile from the Paper Mario one.

Also, someone should contact Dino Ranger Black, The real cal howard and Dark Dragon Medeus regarding this thread.

Definetly no to common enemies scaling, if anything they should be Unknown.

I also disagree with Rosalina scaling for reasons above, same with the 2-B scaling to base characters.

I can, however, see base characters being 3-A due to the them surviving the Samurai universe exploding on their face... but wouldn't that only scale to base Paper Mario? Then again, Paper Jam shows they are equals, so it's hard to say.

Waiting for more imput.

The Sammer Guy dimension being erased is a Low 2-C feat, not just a 3-A one as the entirety if the dimension is erased; not just the matter. Anyway, I disagree with the cast being universal as the cast was later "Killed" by Dimentio later. And there's other stuff.

Bowser regularly requires power ups to do galaxy level stuff in the Galaxy games, so it would be iffy for the base cast to be Tier 2. The High 4-C feats are both consistent and casual and Mario without Power Stars regularly defeat enemies amp'd by Power Stars. But I'm still not comfortable with any of the main Mario cast being any higher than 3-C for those reasons. I did here there was some possible 4-A feats, but they may need to be looked at more. There is a discussion rule against base Mario being 2-B I also need to add. And other Tier 2 characters are regularly portrayed as being far above the main cast.

And I still rest my case about Goombas scaling. Mario can be wacky and inconsistent at times, but Mario and Bowser are regularly above the combined might of millions of goombas; goombas being able to take out Bowser, Fawful, the 7 Koopa Kids, or other major bosses in both Bowser's Minions and Bowser Jr is both PIS and Game Mechanics. I know it's complicated to explain, but making every single fodder character Tier 4 or above is off the wall. Only special Goombas such as Goombella or Goombario should scale from Mario or other characters. It's also been discussed too much.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
The Sammer Guy dimension being erased is a Low 2-C feat, not just a 3-A one as the entirety if the dimension is erased; not just the matter. Anyway, I disagree with the cast being universal as the cast was later "Killed" by Dimentio later. And there's other stuff.
the entirety of the dimension wasn't erased. you can still go back inside it afterwards, it's just that all the stuff inside is gone. So it would be 3-A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5GCRPBnfiA FIght takes place inside what's left of the dimension.

It's literally just an endless void with no space or time; probably more so Type 1 void and wouldn't qualify for Infinite speed but still. Either way, I don't think it's legit and it's most likely that they were simply teleported out before it got destroyed.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
It's literally just an endless void with no space or time; probably more so Type 1 void and wouldn't qualify for Infinite speed but still. Either way, I don't think it's legit and it's most likely that they were simply teleported out before it got destroyed.
Where does it say there's no space or time? There's at the very least still the ruins of buildings around. I agree with its legitimacy (or lack thereof), but it would still be 3-A.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
That sounds a lot like headcanon...

Can you explain more?

I would be fine with the Paper Mario cast being 3-A/Low 2-C if it were not for the fact that normal Mario scales to Paper Mario, unless you want to argue that all of Paper Jam is a outliner.

The Void literally does destroy everything and is the very reason why it is 2-B. Count Bleck destroying his own Dimension was treated as a Low 2-C feat for similar reasons. And it's because Mario and the others have no reason to be capable of surviving the big bang; and of course all those Sammer Guys died from it until they were revived. And also, the party was teleported to Flipside unconscious. And I think Merlon said something about the Fate according to the Light Prognosticus that protected them.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
The Void literally does destroy everything and is the very reason why it is 2-B. Count Bleck destroying his own Dimension was treated as a Low 2-C feat for similar reasons. And it's because Mario and the others have no reason to be capable of surviving the big bang; and of course all those Sammer Guys died from it until they were revived. And also, the party was teleported to Flipside unconscious. And I think Merlon said something about the Fate according to the Light Prognosticus that protected them.
This^

I don't agree with Fate manipulation/hax and the whole thing is probably an outlier regardless, but it's better than assuming they tanked a big bang. Also pretty sure all this stuff was discussed multiple times.

Someone did bring up Fate manipulation on another thread, but I it was deemed too iffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back