• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Limited Plot Manipulation and 4th Wall Breaking for Ichibei Hyosube

Ichibei has two feats that are both Plot Manipulation (as in he changed the plot of the story) first from a different dimension to Ichigo’s inner spiritual world and later in his fight with Yhwach. And possible 4th Wall Breaking since he literally inked the manga pages speech bubbles twice and in another occasion his ink cover half of the manga panel. And we have confirmation from the author to support the feats on panel. Source. Question 117.

The ink covering the text is just a visual representation of Ichibei erasing or obscuring the names spoken.
Which is Plot Manipulation?

Like these are very blatant feats of Plot Manipulation, he's erasing the names of those who've been affected by his ink, even from the plot which is shown with the 2 instances given the OP.

I, of course agree with Ichibe having Plot Manipulation (Since i was going to make a thread for him having it down the line but it seems like people have got their before i did)

ion think this is plot manipulation rather than just artistic liberity regarding Ichibe’s ability? He’s not removing them from the plot, but rather the character’s can’t say it due to Ichibe’s abilities represented by the attack. Makes no sense to give it to him, when he has no showings outside of this, or even a descriptor of it anywhere.

Correct me if im wrong because plot manip would be incredibly based, but im not seeing it.

That is not Plot Manipulation, that is Conceptual Manipulation, which he already has.

Names in Bleach are an actual piece of the lore; of the world. Names are sacred, and names are what grant powers and meaning to those who have them; Renji could originally only use his Shikai at first because he only knew half of its name, but after being told its real name, he could unleash its Bankai; speaking of "Ichibē Hyōsube" when one is not worthy of speaking his name results in one losing their voice, as was the case with Yhwach; conversely, speaking his name after he has been killed can bring them back from the grave, as "All powers dwell in names"; originally, after being stripped of his powers by Byakuya, Ichigo was not worthy of learning the true name of his Zanpakuto, and, thus, could not access his Soul Reaper powers, but he quickly built up the resolve to regain his strength to rescue Rukia and finally spoke his Zanpakuto's name — Zangetsuallowing him to access its power.

Names are a genuine concept in the Bleach series that have a legitimate function in-universe, and Ichibe manipulating them constitutes Conceptual Manipulation, not Plot Manipulation. He is not controlling the plot.

unknown.png

@AppleLord You better make this one count..

ion think this is plot manipulation rather than just artistic liberity regarding Ichibe’s ability? He’s not removing them from the plot, but rather the character’s can’t say it due to Ichibe’s abilities represented by the attack. Makes no sense to give it to him, when he has no showings outside of this, or even a descriptor of it anywhere.

Correct me if im wrong because plot manip would be incredibly based, but im not seeing it.
He gave the names to everything in the verse. He can take a name and erase its meaning, power, stats from the story and give people any other name, power and stats he wants.

0609-003.png

0609-004.png

"from the story"
Where is the evidence that he is manipulating the plot? He is removing the name from the universe, but nothing suggests that he is tampering with the plot of the series itself. He controls the laws that revolve around names in Bleach's in-universe world.

"from the story"
Where is the evidence that he is manipulating the plot? He is removing the name from the universe, but nothing suggests that he is tampering with the plot of the series itself. He controls the laws that revolve around names in Bleach's in-universe world.
Old Man Zangetsu was Yhwach a 1,000 years ago. He was about to reveal his name to Ichigo as his quincy powers at the start of the story. Ichibei was not only in another dimension but was able to affect Ichigo's inner spiritual world inside his mind to the point he cut Yhwach's name off, leaving him no choice but to pose as his shinigami powers for 95% of the Bleach story until this was revealed in the final arc. Ichigo would have had a different set of powers if Ichibei had not change the manga page bubbles and stop Yhwach from telling Ichigo his true name.

0540-014.png
0540-018.png

Last edited:
That's like Kumagawa's speech in Medaka Box always being enclosed in brackets: An artistic choice, no a plot power.
It's how the author shows that the name can't be heard/comprehend or just generally that it doesn't exist. Ichibei isn't directly altering speech bubbles or anything.

That is not Plot Manipulation, that is Conceptual Manipulation, which he already has.
It literally is Plot Manipulation, like it's directly under the definition of what Plot Manipulation is.

He actually has both, since the Conceptual Manipulation aspect of his power set is his abilities to control, give and erase names while the Plot Manipulation aspect of his power set is that those names that have been "blacked out" are removed from the plot, which is shown multiple times within the stated scans above.

Literally doesn't address the argument as i already explained above.

Names are a genuine concept in the Bleach series that have a legitimate function in-universe, and Ichibe manipulating them constitutes Conceptual Manipulation, not Plot Manipulation. He is not controlling the plot
Explained this above aswell.

He directly is as shown in the scans, erasing the names of things from the plot is Plot Manipulation.

None of that explicitly says he is blocking speech bubble and thats what the author agreed to which is about ichibei making it so ichigo will not comprehend when he has spoken old mans name
The person who asked Kubo asked about Ichibei inking the name on the speech bubblue. Where did you think he got that idea to ask in the first place? From the other time Ichibei did the same to Yhwach. The author said, yes. That means Ichibei did black the page out. His power comes from before the creation of the universe itself and before the afterlife and all the other different dimensions. He gave name, power, stats, everything to the verse after the Soul King created the realms.

0608-015.png
0608-016.png

the Plot Manipulation aspect of his power set is that those names that have been "blacked out" are removed from the plot, which is shown multiple times within the stated scans above.
The names still exists.

The name "Zangetsu" existed since the Zanpakuto was created. Ichigo not being able to understand the name is not proof that the name was removed from the plot altogether. The name "Yhwach" could still be spoken after Ichibe erased it, and Yhwach could still restore it after it was erased.

They still existed in the plot.

The names still exists.

The name "Zangetsu" existed since the Zanpakuto was created. Ichigo not being able to understand the name is not proof that the name was removed from the plot altogether. The name "Yhwach" could still be spoken after Ichibe erased it, and Yhwach could still restore it after it was erased.

who mentioned it about deleting it from the plot?

The names still exists.

Yhwach removing seals and powers on his body is power negation. He didn't had the Almighty when Ichibei first did this and he was able to negate that power once the Almighty was unlocked which is said to have power negation. Is already accepted on his page. This is however irrelavant to the current topic.
Ichibei didn't removed the name "zangetsu" from the plot. Zangetsu was the fake name Yhwach took upon when Ichibei removed his name from that speech bubble. Zangetsu was the Hollow/Shinigami power's name. Yhwach trained Ichigo under the allias Zangetsu and used his shinigami hollow powers because Ichibei inked his name and powers. Essentually, Ichibei changed the plot of the story by intervening with the protagonist inner mind and soul changing his original power set. Ichibei was the one who removed that name and the one who named everything.

0564-009.png

Last edited:
WE SHOULD JUST GIVE SOSUKE PLOT MANIPULATION, TOO, THEN.
REIOKYU HOOHDEN

“Oh, so there you were.”
When the Manako Osho high priest, also known as Ichibe Hyosube, called
out to him, Oh-Etsu Nimaiya, who had been sitting on a cliff of Hoohden
while looking at the empty space, shrugged and stood up.
“Oh my, my, what could possibly be the matter, Osho? It’s pretty rare for
you to take a stroll all the way over here.”
“Well, I thought it was rarer still not to feel your presence in Hoohden or
at that bar filled with all your sword maidens.”
When the Osho stood next to Oh-Etsu, he looked at the empty space that the
man had been gazing into earlier in the same way and stroked his deep black
beard as he said, “Hm...so Ikomikidomoe is in the Kyogoku?”
“You don’t have to ask, do you? You are the Osho, after all. You see
everything in this world—you see, all see, see you again, am I right?”
“Mhmm. I have no idea at all what you’re saying, but it’s exactly as you
say.”

After that absolutely meaningless exchange, the Osho spoke about what he
sensed with his own eyes.
Ichibei the Osho is seeing a hollow in another dimension between other dimensions in this novel's quote. Nimaiya the rap god of the sword is asking Ichibei why he is telling the obvious. Ichibei had Cosmic Awareness that allowed him to change the plot unlike Aizen's "let me see what happens" scenario.

So, your argument is: "Ichibe can control names across dimensions, so he has Plot Manipulation"?
Is "Plot Manipulation" another synonym for "range"? I didn't get the memo.

So, your argument is: "Ichibe can control names across dimensions, so he has Plot Manipulation"?
Is "Plot Manipulation" another synonym for "range"? I didn't get the memo.
I believe you're confused. Do you have knowdledge on the character or verse? Because my answers so far are assuming you already have knowledge on the character Ichibei. Confirm something for me first, so I can help you and answer your questions. Are you making your arguments based on "Ichibei only controls names" and are unawere of what happens when he controls names?

So, anything that blank out bubble speech is Plot Manipulation now???. Then why it is not just Text Manipulation
So it's the third bullet point, the last one, or a different one?
xLaCE1J.png
You got this wrong, this is the possible use of Plot Manipulation, the possible result came with that ability, not exactly the way for you to get the ability.........

Also why 4th Wall Breaking, did the guy ever actually jump out his own manga, or speech with the reader????

I'm just going to say a flat no here. And say none of what's been shown above is clear enough as feats to be atributed to Plot Manipulation over maybe Text Manipulation or the much more likely Concept Maniuplation that Ichibe already has.

So, anything that blank out bubble speech is Plot Manipulation now???. Then why it is not just Text Manipulation

You got this wrong, this is the possible use of Plot Manipulation, the possible result came with that ability, not exactly the way for you to get the ability.........

Also why 4th Wall Breaking, did the guy ever actually jump out his own manga, or speech with the reader????
I think the 4th wall breaking is the rewriting speech bubbles part of this. Since Ichibei did rewrite a speech bubble.
GW1V4iB.png

For the last time. What has been shown here isnt plot manip. Keep this up, and Bleach Supporters will highkey get a reputation for stuff like this.

The result of plot manipulation comes from his power to changed the protagonists power set from A (Quincy) to B (Shinigami) and change the plot of the story where it leads the protagonist joining his side (team B - Shinigami) instead of team A. (Quincy) He literally changed the entire story. The protagonist would have had an entire power set of abilities if Ichibei had not used his powers on that panel where he ink Yhwach’s name in the protagonist inner mind and soul.

Back