• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lifting Strength Via Size? Confused on if this is valid or not.

XitSign

He/Him
I was previously under the belief that we don't grant character lifting strength based on sheer size for Large Size characters, but recently while working out some LS feats for my verse and looking for references to help me, I noticed a recent CRT pushing for lifting strength based on the character's size.

As well as notice profiles that use this as a justification, such as 'Helios - The Primordial Sun'

Am I mistaken and we are allowed to scale LS based on a character's size and weight? Or are these kinds of ratings wrong?

I thought we grant LS by size all the time. For giant characters you'll see " at least class X by sheer size"

If you're the size of a mountain you have class T etc.

I thought we grant LS by size all the time. For giant characters you'll see " at least class X by sheer size"

If you're the size of a mountain you have class T etc.
That's the thing, the logic makes sense to me at a glance.

But I could've sworn it became a site rule that supporting your own weight wasn't actually Lifting Strength, and you needed evidence of supporting weight that wasn't a part of your body for it to be a valid feat.

I wanted to confirm if that's correct or not, because I've been disregarding Large Size lifting strength feats that might actually be valuable. But of course, I don't want to waste anyone's time making CRTs that include feats that aren't site standards either. So I wanted my confusion cleared up.

Again, I may just be wrong and have been mistaken longer than I thought.

Large sized characters who are able to carry their own weight with ease easily scale from lifting strength, unless the giant characters are like physically impaired for their size and/or are like immovable statues or trees.
How's it calculated then? Is it just the character's own weight, via square-cube law if humanoid or whatever? I ask because there are profiles like Moon Lord who have Class 50 via sheer size with no calculation.

Given, that profile is probably quite old and it's being revised soon, so.

Moon Lord does look like his profile is unjustified and maybe his lifting strength might need to be either plain "Superhuman" or Unknown until we have better calculation.

Also, we kind of have a lot of case by case for square-cube law. I know we use Gravitational Potential Energy for humanoids who clearly can run around like like any other human thus lifting strength is probably fine. I know we had a content revision against Square-Cube calculations for flying creatures and creatures who are mythical in nature. But that it might be fine for characters like King Kong being compared to a gorilla.

Moon Lord does look like his profile is unjustified and maybe his lifting strength might need to be either plain "Superhuman" or Unknown until we have better calculation.

Also, we kind of have a lot of case by case for square-cube law. I know we use Gravitational Potential Energy for humanoids who clearly can run around like like any other human thus lifting strength is probably fine. I know we had a content revision against Square-Cube calculations for flying creatures and creatures who are mythical in nature. But that it might be fine for characters like King Kong being compared to a gorilla.
The one example I posted, Helios, is technically flying because she's always shown to be in space.

Would that fall under the 'flying' situation then? And other 'celestial' characters shouldn't get a LS based on size?

They probably could still get lifting strength if there is a better way to calculate mass, but just not Square Cube method iirc.

Back