• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Optional Profile Changes: The Addition of Height and Weight in Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Here's the deal. Calc Group members often need a base reference when measuring their stuff. In their case, they would often use either an official height from a piece of media, average height figures from the real world (in this case, 5'9" for a man and 5'4" for a woman), or a real-life reference object with a standardized or commonly-used size (basketballs, doors, coffins, etc). We already do this with real-life weaponry, so why the hell not? I think it would be cool if we allowed profiles to provide these stats, primarily to help Calc Group members with calcs, but also because a character's height can make it so they'd be hard to freaking hit! Goshdangit, Soul Calibur 4 Yoda!

Anyway, for the heights themselves, the only thing that should be mandatory about them is the type of source they came from, and a listing that says Varies in the event that the height figures are a bit inconsistent. The three mandatory source tags are as follows: Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary.

Let's start with the first one...

Primary

Primary is the tag to be used for officially stated or measured heights. With mangas, finding an official height should provide little or no issue. Goku, that one character every Vs Debater loves to pit against people, would have his height listed on the wiki as such: "5'9"/175 cm (Primary)". This is because his height figure came from officially-licensed media: the Dragon Ball: Super Exciting Guide (2009).: https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Goku

Mangas may even happily provide stipulations. One example where you can see stipulations is in Debby the Corsifa, whose height is officially stated to be 149 cm (4'10.66") excluding her "horn-like parts" (which look like cat ears) and heels:
GijADUU.png

When a character's height is not stated in any official manner, another reference you could use is mugshots. Mugshots are used as official records for criminals, and in fiction, mugshots are often how you get directly-measured heights. An example of a mugshot being used as a reference in fiction would be Total Drama's Lindsay, whose height would be listed on her profile as "5'9"/175.26 cm (Primary)" from her mugshot.:
j24vuZ8.png

Fandom's many wikis often list out official heights for characters, so they're often a good place to start.

It may extend to even officially-licensed models with a scale. An example of such is the life-sized Mario statue often cited as Mario's official height, which was officially licensed by Nintendo and sold for a limited time on Amazon in 2013. The statue lists Mario's height as 155 cm (5'1") from the top of his cap down.:
tNH0ekX.jpeg

The last thing to consider would be ID cards. In the case of James P. Sullivan, a scarer card largely resembling a baseball card puts his height at 7'6":
ukUd5Dn.png

I had noted inconsistencies when it comes to heights, even Primary heights. A good example of this would be Marge Simpson. In a couch gag, which is linked in the verse profile, Marge stands well over 7 feet, with a quick ruler measurement giving me a height figure of 7'6". HOWEVER, in one episode, after Marge trips the alarm in the Kwik-E-Mart, Apu had Marge stand next to a height chart and recorded Marge's height as 8'6". You can plainly see it in the episode's gallery: https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Marge_in_Chains/Gallery

By extension, this would give Marge a listed height of "Varies; 7'6" to 8'6" (from top of hair down) (Primary)" on her profile.

Another example of the official height varying would be the Pikmin, whose manuals give Pikmin heights ranging from 13 to 18 mm from the base of their stem down: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Pikmin_(Verse)

Sometimes, primary heights are directly gotten using nondescript units. In Chowder, Shnitzel's height is listed as 4 nondescript units according to a police lineup. In Mighty Magiswords, on the other hand, the Magisword salesman Raphio was directly measured at 39 ticks off the Measuring Tape Magisword. I'd watch out for those if I were you.

Now that we got that out of the way, we shall move on to the next category: secondary.

Secondary

Secondary is the tag used for the following:
  • Heights measured off a character with an official height.
  • Heights measured off a real-world object with a standardized or common height.
Let's start with Princess Peach for example.
Princess_Peach_Stock_Art.png

Peach is about the most recognizable princess alongside the Disney princesses and is largely infamous for getting kidnapped half the time (to a point where DeviantART likes to poke fun at the fact), yet at the same time, Peach is a fairly sizable woman. In games from 64 onward, Peach is consistently depicted with a height of 6'0", ±1 inch excluding her crown based off Mario's height. This should give her a height rating of "Around 6'/183 cm (Secondary; based on Mario's height)"

Another example of a secondary height figure would be Chara/Frisk (Undertale), whose height was measured off a kitchen sink of all things. Their height (apparently they're non-binary) would be considered an example of a Secondary height.

Another good example of a secondary height would be the Quaggled Mireclops from Pikmin. The Mireclops is the single largest creature in the Pikmin series, with a legspan of 94 cm. This would grant a size rating of "94 cm (legspan) (Secondary; based on Pikmin measurements)"
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Flashlight237/Quaggled_Mireclops_Size

Secondary height is more variable and this variation sometimes stems from the lack of an official lineup. Sometimes it's the case of the material being a bit all over the place. Like for example, @JTGamer96 graciously measured Bowser's height in various platformers, where figures varied from 1.55 to 4.5 meters: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:JTGamer96/Bowser's_Height

Now for the last category: tertiary heights.

Tertiary

Tertiary is the tag used for the following:
  • Heights measured off characters with Secondary heights, meaning they are scaled off characters that whose height figures were previously measured off characters with official heights.
  • Heights based off rules-of-thumb and hypotheticals that the Calc Group used. Yes, I'm docking you guys down to Tertiary. You're not the makers of the franchises we index; don't act like you are.
An example of a tertiary height would be Nemona (Pokemon), a Pokemon trainer who is infamous among the Pokemon community for getting off on Pokemon battles. Basing things of Hilda, who was previously measured at 165 cm based on N's official height of 180 cm, Nemona would stand at an astonishing 204.2 cm tall. This would put her height figure at "204.2 cm/6'8.4" (Tertiary; based off Hilda's height)"
4c38bHM.png

Tertiary heights have the greatest potential to vary due to the sheer volatile nature of them. While tertiary height can be set in stone like in the case of the characters from Total Drama Revenge of the Island and Total Drama Pahkitew Island, Tertiary heights are prone to being switched up just by the reference points being changed or even an official height figure being put out for people.

Weight

Weight has some uses, like in a Vs thread where weight would be pitted against a character's lifting strength. However, unlike height which gets used in calculations constantly, weight has some pretty niche uses despite official figures sometimes being given out. Weight can be ignored completely for characters the size of insects or smaller due to the sheer fact that bugs aren't often measured for weight, plus Mr. Burns and Togame can still hold up macroscopic objects despite their... Reputation. Unlike with height, I think weight can be noted with only two categories: Official and Calculated. Examples of official weights include Owen from Total Drama weighing 296 lbs and Wario weighing 308 lbs. Calculated weights are weights either measured off volume (ex. Stinger Flynn's weight of just over 1000 metric tons) or off Square-Cube Law (ex. Gigantamaxed Pokemon and Babe the Blue Ox). I won't prattle on too long on this as there isn't really much else to say about weight.

But yeah, there you have it. I think this might help people out with calculations PROVIDED we source things. Mhmm.

Even besides calculations there's a lot of important things that height and weight can have an effect on (for example a 6'4 character and a 5'6 character in a bare-handed fight will have to adopt drastically different tactics, and Pokemon moves like Grass Knot and Heavy Slam will inflict damage depending on the enemy's weight. Some things like grappling or TK strategies might just not work on an opponent that's too big to lift even if their LS is Unknown or lower), so I am absolutely in favor of optional categories to list height and weight.

However I think the "tag" system is clunky and unnecessary, we don't do this for any source no matter how important, and I don't think it's really beneficial when someone can just look at the link itself (references in particular will essentially just do the job already).

Last edited:
However I think the "tag" system is clunky and unnecessary, we don't do this for any source no matter how important, and I don't think it's really beneficial when someone can just look at the link itself (references in particular will essentially just do the job already).
You do realize the "clunky and unnecessary" tagging system I came up with is designed explicitly to keep the site and it's userbase from deliberately spreading misinformation, right? This is coming from me, the guy who regularly gets at people for using the wrong information.

I do, but I also don't think it actually achieves much of anything given that you have to source your claims anyway to put them on a profile.

I remember back when Fllflourine was a Content Mod, he had added options to add Height, Weight, and Affiliation as optional stats to profiles. While Affiliation I don't think is the most important stat and some parts can also be merged with the Classification section. But Height and Weight if characters have that would help out great deals for calculations and stuff like that.

Affiliation was abandoned long ago because some thought it overlapped too much with Classification.

Also what's the tag system?

Too be fair, we already have a page for Small Size to address examples such as the Yoda one. Though Height on profiles would specify more specifics or that simply being below average can still help even if it's not enough for a small size physiology.

Wasn't there the idea to do infoboxes at some point? Like, if we do this as optional stuff, we may as well allow optional infoboxes to put that info in.

Last edited:
Wasn't there the idea to do infoboxes at some point? Like, if we do this as optinal stuff, we may as well allow optional infoboxes to put that info in.
Infoboxes are on the way, we're just waiting for a right time to get that project started.

These would be suitable as optional fields in that ,yeah.

I mean, this wouldn't be getting in the way of that anyways, right? No harm in passing it now.

Apparently Damage wants to implement this straight into the infobox revisions and not right now.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just letting you know of the current status quo. I really have no control over such things.

I'm on board with this; I think it'd be beneficiary for future calculations we decide to do for characters based on their weight and height.

That's a good point too. Honestly I don't see any reasons to wait for the mythical infobox stuff that's been in the works (allegedly) for literal years so far.

Last edited:
I don't get the "inconsistency" argument when this entire proposal is supposed to be optional to begin with, especially considering the fact that not every fictional character out there will have official height and weight listings.

Personally I still think it's best to just throw this in with the eventual infobox revision.
I think that it seems best to handle it afterwards, as an optional feature with references required, but definitely not before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back