• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Let's talk about Fear Manipulation: What qualifies and what doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. We should continue where we left off then.

I feel like Fear Manipulation via Social Influencing shouldn't be listed as such, because many times characters in fiction are able to resist this fear in their triumphant moment or whatevs and as such, it isn't really logical for the protagonist to get a resistance of this ability, especially in the scenario if the users were feared due to their history or status. There's also a scenario where particularly reckless characters don't get afraid by any sorts of threats at all, like Saitama or Arale, and they're definitely not immune to Fearhax.

Only things truly considered to be Fear Manipluation should be those abilities which completely bypass this attitude, like Scarecrow's Gas and stuff like that, i.e. Soemthing that isn't just dependant on the user's attitude.

The types used for Madness Manipulation actually fits for Fear Manip as well.

So for Black Clover, It's not due to their status but by releasing their Mana which make a pressure in their surroundings. People in the surroundings can't barely stand on their feet (it is why they have paralysis inducement)

Screenshot 20191110-202518 Chrome

So I checked out the fight myself and calling it air, density, or graivty manipulation makes less since then calling it fear manipulation. Air doesn't really work because there is no showing of a blast of air or the characters who are being affected being hit with air, density because the debris like that wouldn't just come from someone standing still and manipulating the density of things surrounding him as is shown here, and gravity because that would mean this ability is both simotansouely lifting debirs into the air and weighing down the other characters and since right after there is no sign of damage where Asta (Who most definetely was touched by the aura) stands like there is with Yami.

I'd argue that Yami has aura with explosive and either Overwhelming or Fear-Inducing properties, since in the brief moment he shows it all the characters react in fear and the area surrouding him is destroyed.

I say all this, but then have to ask whether or not this would even be considered canon, since this very feat here comes from a spin-off manga which is based off a game for the series. From what I can gather at least.

Then what would you say those expressions are? The character's themselves look afraid, and the text that follows does imply fear. I'm not saying its definetly fear manipulation hence the overwhelming aura bit, but there is fear shown.

What text? I see nothing in the scan implying fear outside of the natural reaction to an overwhelming power.

The words of the characters appear alongside each of their reaction shots. Noelle can't even get a full thought out.

While by themselves they don't mean much, when combined with their actual expressions they appear to be afraid.

And I know, but all I'm trying to say is that the characters themseleves are defintely afraid

Verses that have Fear Inducement based on power flexing like the case above should be revised accordingly.

As discussed in the beginning, the fear manipulation page should be modified to explicitly exclude social influencing; it should only apply to powers that forces characters to feel fear (such as with energy or biological manipulation with fear gas).

The definition in the fear manipulation page has is so vague that a robber frightening an average/cowardly person with a knife counts as fear inducement.

The current definition of fear inducement:

"Fear Inducement. The most simple form of Fear Manipulation. This is simply the ability to make the target feel frightened in some form or another."

Epsilon R said:
The current definition of fear inducement:

"Fear Inducement. The most simple form of Fear Manipulation. This is simply the ability to make the target feel frightened in some form or another."
It should be changed, that's why we made this thread

ShadowWhoWalks said:
As discussed in the beginning, the fear manipulation page should be modified to explicitly exclude social influencing; it should only apply to powers that forces characters to feel fear (such as with energy or biological manipulation with fear gas).

The definition in the fear manipulation page has is so vague that a robber frightening an average/cowardly person with a knife counts as fear inducement.
I agree with this.

First we need rewrite the page so as to establish that Fear Manipulation is a supernaturally possible power, and simply intimidating your opponent wouldn't be valid.

We can likely divide Fear Manipulation into following subtypes:

• Neurological: Characters possessing this type of Fear Manipulation use Mind Manipulation and other related powers to directly influence the opponent into being afraid. It can be resisted with sufficient Resistance to Mind Manipulation
  • Mystical: Characters possessing this type of Fear Manipulation use Magic and other inexplainable phenomena to exploit their opponents' fears. It can be resisted using Resistance to Magic

I suppose that should work. There are also purely magical/supernatural types of fear manipulation, but mentioning this may be redundant.

No, adding a Mystical subtype will be fine as well in my opinion. I just kinda... forgot about it

Wouldn't magic stuff still be manipulating the mind or neurotransmitters, making it fall into one of the above two?

Sometimes it is weird in fiction though, I remember one or two characters scaring "the soul" of a character, so I reckon Mystical subtype will cover basically the rest of the methods fine.

Its perfectly factible to manipulate minds and emotions via magic, not different that doing it via aura, the only difference is that beings that resist magic wouldn't resist the last one or viceverse.

So would a dragon in a video game roaring and then inducing the "Feared" status effect no longer count as Fear Manip?

Epsilon R said:
So for Black Clover, It's not due to their status but by releasing their Mana which make a pressure in their surroundings. People in the surroundings can't barely stand on their feet (it is why they have paralysis inducement)
This is just a character freaking out the weaker ones who have never seen so much power, it's like a Dragon Ball villain intimidating others with his ki, there's no special power in it.

1. Asta and Yami are comparable in strength

2. Asta has already seen and fought stronger characters

3. Even Asta, aka the guy that can sense mana, could feel the pressure.

Epsilon R said:
1. Asta and Yami are comparable in strength

2. Asta has already seen and fought stronger characters

3. Even Asta, aka the guy that can sense mana, could feel the pressure.
1)Asta and yami isn't comparable in strength at all.

2)didnt mean anything

3)That overhelming aura not pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back