• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Let's See How This Goes (Oryx vs The Quiet Deviless)

Yeah so Lakshmi says https://imgur.com/a/dM7GL about the VoG. This quote is on multiple sites and was also found in a quotes video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWPSi5iQ8D4) and (https://www.destinypedia.com/Lakshmi-2). Pretty sure its one of the things she can say in the overworld when you enter or leave conversation with her, and as such it's not in Ishtar.

The Infinite Forest also existed back then, but the VoG wouldn't necessarily scale in terms of, well, scale.

Gorgons erase dudes across the VoG, and througly enough to do so retroactively where all (usually, more on this in a bit) memory of them even to those outside the Vault is gone. The Gorgons decided you never actually existed while you were in their domain, so looks like you just didn't. The gorgons said it, so it must be true, and as such that is enacted.

Now, you will notice the "usually". There are two things somewhat contradicting the exactness of this retroactive temporal erasure, but they don't actually in any real sense. The first thing is Kabr, the Legionless. Some tiny memory of his former teammates who all got erased still exists in his mind, shown by his quote of "No one can open the Vault alone. I opened the Vault. There was no one with me but I was not alone.. However, there are a few things important to consider. Firstly, Kabr doesn't even remember his teammates fully. He knows he can't have been alone to open the vault but at the same time he knows that he was alone. Secondly, Kabr should have quite the resistance to Vex stuff, considering a few things: He survived VoG for a while after it going horribly wrong, he survived ingesting the Vex into his own body for a while, and he sacrificed his own light to create the Aegis, a shield that provides immunity to everything in that raid. Finally, this still drove him insane. That small fragment of memory seems to have caused some massive cognitive dissonance that broke the mind of Kabr, who became obsessed with nothing but the VoG. In some ways, it's better to forget.

The second seeming contradiction is Praeydth. He still existed in obscure legends in history not entirely confirmed to be real, and you even hear him speak to you during Paradox. However these remnants only persisted because the Vex wanted them to. They used Praeydth to lure the Guardian to the VoG, they could have deleted him at any point in full but did not. He was still long dead by the time you get there. The reason they did this is as something of a distress call. You see, one of Oryx's Taken had breached the VoG and started corrupting things. It's influence was bleeding across the timelines of the VoG, corrupting simulant futures and pasts alike. The thing is, the Vex already could not forsee any futures besides one where their entire collective was enslaved to the thrall of Oryx. The nigh omniscient reality warping machine mind collective of the Vex, in all their timeline spanning glory, thought they were doomed to be stomped by Oryx. Literally nothing else was possible to them. However, they cannot properly precog the Player Character (which supports PC type 5 acausality, among other things) so they tried to lure them there as something of a last shot for survival. They could not forsee the PC killing Oryx which would ultimately avert this fate, but since they can't forsee the PC at all and they had no other options, it was done.

Remember, all that wasn't even from Oryx attacking. That was from a random Taken finding its way into the VoG and causing things to go downhill from there. The presence of what was originally only one thing caused the Vex to try and get the PC in immediately, since they already knew of their unchangeable future of slavery to the will of the Darkness. Also, the Infinite Forest existed back then, and yet "hide in the IF forever" was not considered an option, indicating that Oryx would get to them even there.

So yeah, Gorgons are ridiculous and Oryx is a lot better.

Tbh he probably stomps

There has been no actual counter-argument to Taking's coercion thing, so TQD can't do shit and immediately gets Taken anyways

Wok gave a detailed explanation on why Taking is 2-B just a few posts back. And Taking is not absorption anyway.

Top 10 irrefutable rebuttals

Oh yeah, Oryx in key 1 can still expand his ascendant realm, which means he can use his key 2 powers in key 1 with a bit of messing around. He's gonna start with just Taking though.

Wokistan said:
Will get back to this and amakasu in a bit, though I will say that an integral part of the ability to Take is the erasure of beings that are then brought back in the thrall of the Darkness and Oryx. That he can reforge a being that he had erased immediately before would indicate he can affects dudes that don't exist.
That part didn't age well but Zach you don't really seem to be paying attention here.

How many votes are there?

@Wok I think there are only two votes. I'm not too sure this isn't a stomp though since there have been brought up no win cons for tqd.

Maybe someone should make a thread where we try to find a character that resists Oryx's taking because this it ridiculous

Emperor stomped him because of resisting chaos gods, and it wasn't why he beat Kharn. A few others from 40k could, obviously the player character, 5Ds and up, and the like, off the top of my head.

I'll vote Oryx but idk if this is that fair. Oh well.

Back