• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lets come back to this: One Piece downgrade thread

What does leaning forward change?
I'm trying to visualize this in my brain (it's late, maybe not the best idea), but the way I see it is that leaning forward would let him swing his arm further back without making contact with his torso

I'm trying to visualize this in my brain (it's late, maybe not the best idea), but the way I see it is that leaning forward would let him swing his arm further back without making contact with his torso
I think I get what you mean but wouldn't his position have to be rotated slightly to the right instead of down?

You could say that (particularly, the 2 seconds where Kaido's just not moving) whether it's the 1 frame end or the 10 frame end, and trying to apply it to only one part comes off as cherrypicking. The move then would be "let's not use that entirely, and as such, let's drop the calc as a whole since we can't find speed."

To which I say: That's an utterly ridiculous way to dismiss a feat, and I can confidently say I'd never agree to that

Actually the move could be to not use a timeframe based on the anime itself and to assume a reasonable timeframe.

Can it really calculate F = w/s as lifting strength from punching? The first calculation using only the weight of the arm, I'm okay with that, but the calculation of Force from punching, which is considered lifting strength, is… hmm, can used?

So, can the calculation resulting from the punch of a giant or a normal person calculate force in this way? Cuz normally, punching is not considered lifting strength if we're just considering normal-sized people. Or Is there a distinction between sizes, large or normal?

Damage does raise some valid concern about the use of the last frame, which just seems to be depicting the aftermath of the punch rather than its motion.

If we were to calculate the speed of the fist using any of the previous frames, we would most likely get much lower results, though they would be more accurate with the on-screen movement of the fist.
Actually the move could be to not use a timeframe based on the anime itself and to assume a reasonable timeframe.
If we ditch the anime all together, I propose using the time it takes someone to execute a straight punch, which is apparently 0.3 seconds.

If we ditch the anime all together, I propose using the time it takes someone to execute a straight punch, which is apparently 0.3 seconds.
I disagree with this, Luffy's punch is a completely different motion in comparison to a straight punch, his punch would also traverse more distance.

That's just a result of his fist being much larger, which is canceled out by the obviously superhuman strength Luffy has given he could throw out the Bajrang Gun with no issue to begin with. And it does coincide with how fast the punch is depicted to be

That's just a result of his fist being much larger, which is canceled out by the obviously superhuman strength Luffy has given he could throw out the Bajrang Gun with no issue to begin with. And it does coincide with how fast the punch is depicted to be
It would traverse more distance even if it was the same size as a normal human arm.

The difference in time is something I'd consider negligible, especially in lieu of allegedly better options

The difference in time is something I'd consider negligible
I disagree, considering the different motion and the difference in distance being traversed, I'd expect the timeframe to be exponentially lower.
especially in lieu of allegedly better options
Yes, I do think there are better options, I just wanted to express my distaste for what was being suggested.

I disagree, considering the different motion and the difference in distance being traversed, I'd expect the timeframe to be exponentially lower.
Both are motions that take substantially less than a second to do. The distance being traversed is much less substantially different than what you're claiming it is. The timeframe may be different, but I have my doubts on it being significant enough for us to not go with this option
Yes, I do think there are better options, I just wanted to express my distaste for what was being suggested.
What do you propose, then? And no, I'm not going to agree with "axe the calc entirely"

I think I get what you mean but wouldn't his position have to be rotated slightly to the right instead of down?
Also I'd like to return to this since I said I would.

Thinking about it now, I think the really important thing is that the arm is much longer than a normal arm, so it's much more easily able to fully wrap around at a 180 degree angle than a normal arm is

I disagree with this, Luffy's punch is a completely different motion in comparison to a straight punch, his punch would also traverse more distance.
I think it's a low end in any case, Gabriel Varga takes 0.2 seconds for his fist to cover a similar distance and angle as Luffy's punch.

Both are motions that take substantially less than a second to do.
Yes, both motions would take less then a second, I just think that a long hook traversing 180 degrees would take a lot longer then a straight punch that has to traverse half that distance.
The timeframe may be different, but I have my doubts on it being significant enough for us to not go with this option
I'm not saying to cut out the option entirely. The option could be fine if we use a punch that's similar to Luffy's.
What do you propose, then? And no, I'm not going to agree with "axe the calc entirely"
Your calc would probably be fine if we changed the distance moved to 90 degrees and the timeframe to 9 frames.
I think it's a low end in any case, Gabriel Varga takes 0.2 seconds for his fist to cover a similar distance and angle as Luffy's punch.
Yeah.

Your calc would probably be fine if we changed the distance moved to 90 degrees and the timeframe to 9 frames.

Thinking about it now, I think the really important thing is that the arm is much longer than a normal arm, so it's much more easily able to fully wrap around at a 180 degree angle than a normal arm is
What do you think about the above?

Yes I agree. The 90 degree stuff was referring to the 9 frames of his initial movement.

Hold on, are you referring that this portion of the arm should be taken into account when measuring the distance traveled by the punch?

I really just mean that because the arm is as long as it is, the giant fist traveling a full 180 degrees is much easier

Edit: But, I was a bit curious about why the arm itself isn't being considered (only the fist itself)

It's easier yes, though I'm fine with using 180 degrees mostly because Luffy's fist went from being in front of him to completely behind him.

Last edited:
It's easier yes, though I'm fine with using 180 degrees mostly because Luffy's fist went from being in front of him to completely behind him.
That's my reasoning as well. I was mainly saying this in response to Vzearr's concern about how this should end with Luffy's arm being right at his rib cage - as that doesn't necessarily need to be the case with how long his arm is

I mean, the manga shows that as well.
NUbboIR.png

I'm just finding reason for it to require an alternative

All the reasons I see are bunk. "It stops moving here, it speeds up here, it moves here, Kaidou's face stays here"

It looks less like "this is questionable" and more like "we don't like it"

I'm just finding reason for it to require an alternative

All the reasons I see are bunk. "It stops moving here, it speeds up here, it moves here, Kaidou's face stays here"

It looks less like "this is questionable" and more like "we don't like it"
Okay.

Can it really calculate F = w/s as lifting strength from punching? The first calculation using only the weight of the arm, I'm okay with that, but the calculation of Force from punching, which is considered lifting strength, is… hmm, can used?

So, can the calculation resulting from the punch of a giant or a normal person calculate force in this way? Cuz normally, punching is not considered lifting strength if we're just considering normal-sized people. Or Is there a distinction between sizes, large or normal?
It's him yanking an island size fist at MHS+ speeds, that's lifting

Someone who needs like 3 seconds to curl a 25 lb dumbbell once vs someone who can curl it 20 times in a second obviously have different lifting strengths

Looking back at the video of Luffy punching Kaidou, it's clear to me that I disagree with using that 10 frame crap in any way shape or form

The feat is Luffy rotating his fist. In the entire process of the ten frames prior to the switch to Luffy's fist facing the screen, Luffy's fist is still straight ahead facing Kaidou.

Don't use anything in that 10 frame span of Kaidou's face moving sideways when Luffy's fist didn't even move in that video shot. We don't see his fist at all, all we see is his fat ass wrist

The 10/24 is just wrong, if you wanna use 0.2-0.3 then you need to up the distance since the actual punch is more than just a regular 180º punch

Back