• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Latent Heat Vaporization of Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assaltwaffle

VS Battles
Retired
To be frank, our value is wrong. I'm not sure if the original source measured in Kilojoules or something, but the Latent Heat Vaporization of Water is 2,264,705 joules/kg.

Wikipedia lists it as such and here is a scientific journal citing the same. While the full article isn't visible, luckily for us the value we need is. Note that their value is in kilojoules, so multiply it by 1000.

Also, just look at our chart as-is. The second lowest is Nitrogen, a basic element that sitting at just over 200,000. Why would water require 100x less energy when it is a much more substantial molecule? It wouldn't.

Our value is based on Joules per cc, not Joules per kg iirc. A single kg of water is 1003.00902708 cc

I see, I usually refer to the bulleted lists where it says this on the Calculations page.

• Vaporization of water: 2575 J/cm^3
But I guess the below chart is inaccurate regardless.

So, does anything get changed by this? Other than the vaping of humans? And the values of Water, Nitrogen and the like?

Nothing is changed at all so long as the incorrect value wasn't used. If it was...

Actually looking at his calc he didn't account for Latent Heat Vaporization at all, so that calc is actually lowballed.

Woah. That changes the ball-game altogether.

Calc belongs to FanOfRPGs BTW, Spino just compiled the calcs in one page for easier navigation.

BTW, how would we figure out in a franchise whether specific heat and latent heat is used? Any visibly-distinguishable difference we can spot?

DarkDragonMedeus said:
It would still be in the 9-A range right?
We'll have to figure out the latent heat vaporization values of other materials first to figure it out.

@AguilaR

Yes but for the calc he specifically says "The values taken were simplest and closest analogs, plus this calculation did not include the latent heat." I'm not sure why he didn't decide to use this, at least for water, but the value can be higher.

Assaltwaffle said:
@AguilaR
Yes but for the calc he specifically says "The values taken were simplest and closest analogs, plus this calculation did not include the latent heat." I'm not sure why he didn't decide to use this, at least for water, but the value can be higher.
So, what would the new values be?

For vaping a human, I mean?

In the comments from the original calc in specific you can see someone else accounting for the latent heat, why the blog post itself wasn't updated is beyond me.

By the looks of it, Latent heat for the vaporization water in a human being 208,808,919.6 Joules + (2,264,705 J/kg * 37.2 kg) = 293055945.6 Joules. Which at least ups the main calc up to 385,202,334.6 J

Now we just need latent heat for the rest of the components, but I doubt it's going to exceed 9-A.

AguilaR101 said:
In the comments from the original calc in specific you can see someone else accounting for the latent heat, why the blog post itself wasn't updated is beyond me.
Damn. Gonna have to check it out.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
By the looks of it, Latent heat for the vaporization water in a human being 208,808,919.6 Joules + (2,264,705 J/kg * 37.2 kg) = 293055945.6 Joules. Which at least ups the main calc up to 385,202,334.6 J
Now we just need the rest of them, but I doubt it's going to exceed 9-A.
Not a problem. Just need to post the calc in a blog and boom.

It would look a little messy given Water's the only thing that would have latent heat used, but perhaps.

So which page needs to be updated?

In any case, feel free to ask other calc group members to comment here.

Water's latent heat vaporization would be changed to 2,264,705 J/kg according to what Assalt recommends.

Okay. That seems fine.

In which page is this currently inaccurately listed?

Okay. That seems fine, but it is probably safest to ask some other calc group members to verify.

I will unlock it. Tell me here when you are done.

Okay. Thanks. Should we close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back