• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A mistake in our value for the subatomic destruction of water

I was looking at the way our subatomic destruction value was obtained for water, and noticed a mistake. The value is obtained by using this to obtain the energy needed to separate a single water molecule into subatomic particles, then using density and molar mass to convert that to J/cc. However the calc mistook the energy/nucleus value of the mass defect for energy/nucleon (likely because the method he used for other materials gave energy/nucleon), and therefore added an unnecessary step of multiplying by the number of nucleons per molecule, getting the wrong answer.
So, the step “Now multiply that by the nucleon number.
8.975E12*18=1.6155E14j/mol
” shouldn’t be in the calculation.

So, to find the correct value just go through the rest of the calc with 8.975e+12 J/mol:
One mole of water weighs 18.078g

8.975e+12 J/mol/18.078g/mol = 496459785e+11J/g

Since 1g of water is 1cc, that’s 4.96459785e+11J/cc (note that this is the same result as just dividing the current value by 18)

I was unable to find any accepted calcs that are still in use that make use of this, so I don’t this will have an impact on any profiles.

Last edited:
I was looking at the way our subatomic destruction value was obtained for water, and noticed a mistake. The value is obtained by using this to obtain the energy needed to separate a single water molecule into subatomic particles, then using density and molar mass to convert that to J/cc. However the calc mistook the energy/nucleus value of the mass defect for energy/nucleon (likely because the method he used for other materials gave energy/nucleon), and therefore added an unnecessary step of multiplying by the number of nucleons per molecule, getting the wrong answer.
So, the step “Now multiply that by the nucleon number.
8.975E12*18=1.6155E14j/mol
” shouldn’t be in the calculation.

So, to find the correct value just go through the rest of the calc with 8.975e+12 J/mol:
One mole of water weighs 18.078g

8.975e+12 J/mol/18.078g/mol = 496459785e+11J/g

Since 1g of water is 1cc, that’s 4.96459785e+11J/cc (note that this is the same result as just dividing the current value by 18)

I was unable to find any accepted calcs that are still in use that make use of this, so I don’t this will have an impact on any profiles.
4.96459785e+11J/cc? Jeez, that’s 118.6567363767 (~119) Tons of TNT/cc!

Back