• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Common Calc Concern: Reaction Times for Blitzing Feats

No.

As explained above, you need to use human to peak human reaction times, unless the character's reaction time is higher in universe.

You can't use calculations as proof.
You also can't say "they're superhumans so i'll use superhuman reactions"

We shouldn't be using subsonic perceptions for blitzing normal people
Depends on the blitz actually, a perception blitz would be grounds for 0.0292s.

Character A blitzes Character B. Character C says "did he just disappear ?!". This would be grounds for a subsonic timeframe even if Character B or C is average.

This has nothing to do with 75 FPS timeframes for characters straight up dissappearing, right?
There is no timeframe for perception blitzes as of yet, since blitzing a person's eyesight requires far too many variables. We currently have no standard for this.

You don't use 75 FPS or 0.0292 seconds for anything, are any of you actually reading what's been said here? Use Human or Peak Human reaction timeframes unless you have proof that the character being blitzed has a in canon higher reaction time. Being Superhuman doesn't count as Kingtempest said as well.

Human eye doesn't have a goddamn FPS, we don't even see in frames. In reality it's impossible for someone to disappear for your line of focus like teleporting, they'd have to move faster than light for that to work. Since the light hitting them reflects off their body and goes back into your eye, you will still see their movement as a stupidly fast blur. Since you were intensely focusing on them.

Even if they're no longer there by the time you see it. Obviously people who are FTE aren't FTL, something can be so fast that our brain just filters it out. However, focus is a major part of this along with the distance, size, and lightning of the location you're in. All of these will massively effect the "timeframe" needed to "blitz" in this situation. Even being prepared for them to move effects your perception as well, and I'm certain there's more. Like the colors they're wearing compared to the background.

We have no standard precedent for this. There is far more in play then just speed and time.

The reason you don't notice your eye blinking unless you think about is because your brain is filtering it out so it doesn't get in the way of your sight. Despite the fact it happens so close to your face and even cuts off the light. That doesn't mean your perception is only 0.1 seconds.

If 75 fps was the limit of human sight, by some magically BS. I wouldn't be able to notice any difference between 60 FP and 140 FPS of my monitor. This is the same as assuming motion blur you see on the TV is the same as being the same as in your eyes, these work vastly different.

We see all of the frames, but the reason they look like smooth motion is how our brain filters that information so it doesn't look like that. People who are used to seeing a 140 FPS monitor find 30 or 24 FPS to be full of stutter, while people use to 30 or 24 FPS don't notice any stuttering and find 140 FPS to look weird or see no difference.

Of course this varies heavily to person to person. If we get a standard of perception blitzing here, that'd be fantastic, but no such standards exist.

If a perception blitz standard timeframe is indeed found it needs to be clearly written on our reactions and perceptions page.

Oh yeah... guys hold off on that FPS thing... it was actually a very debated topic between DT and I.

The "FPS" is actually at least 500 for simple edges and its higher the more complex the edge of what we are looking at is. Its gonna take me a couple of months to respond to DT since im balancing other wiki stuff with school and this. It also requires multiple research and analysis of the many lab report data. Sooo... lets not bring up "FPS" till uh... Summer.

Use reaction times for perception blitzes for now.

What is the staff consensus here so far?

To stop using 0.029 seconds as a timeframe for blitzing people period, instead use the accepted human reaction times on our page. You can use a higher reaction time, but only if the character in question is meant to have higher reaction time in canon and not because of a calculation. If they have a higher canon reaction time you can use that.

In terms of staff votes. KLOL506, Flashlight237, and myself agree that this needs to be changed.

Having a standard of using Subsonic reaction times for blitzing people is not acceptable.

Perception blitzes are a different issue will seem to be handled somewhere else. That is not the point of this thread.

This wasn't an official rule on our pages or anything, but there are currently accepted calculations that use this figure and will need to be changed.

Last edited:
To stop using 0.029 seconds as a timeframe for blitzing people period, instead use the accepted human reaction times on our page. You can use a higher reaction time, but only if the character in question is meant to have higher reaction time in canon and not because of a calculation. If they have a higher canon reaction time you can use that.

In terms of staff votes. KLOL506, Flashlight237, and myself agree that this needs to be changed.

Having a standard of using Subsonic reaction times for blitzing people is not acceptable.

Perception blitzes are a different issue will seem to be handled somewhere else. That is not the point of this thread.

This wasn't an official rule on our pages or anything, but there are currently accepted calculations that use this figure and will need to be changed.
Im pretty sure a lot more of us have agreed to that standard as well

@Executor_N0 @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Mr._Bambu @Therefir @Ugarik @DMUA @Damage3245 @DemonGodMitchAubin @Jasonsith @Wokistan @Armorchompy @Migue79 @Psychomaster35 @CloverDragon03 @M3X_2.0 @Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment @Aguywhodoesthings @Agnaa @Dalesean027 @SeijiSetto

What do you think about this?

The "higher reaction time in canon" wording seems like it'll inevitably lead to the issue we used to have of "oh these characters are superhuman, i'm going to give them subsonic perception and calculate off that", which I believe we agreed was not correct.

The "higher reaction time in canon" wording seems like it'll inevitably lead to the issue we used to have of "oh these characters are superhuman, i'm going to give them subsonic perception and calculate off that", which I believe we agreed was not correct.
I think "higher reaction time in canon" in this context means that they have a reliably stated reaction time in the story but yeah, it should be clarified to avoid this scenario

So, we good to apply this?
It looks like we've come to a consensus since no CGM have disagreed while we have agreements from Dale, Rusty, Armor, Flashlight and you, I also agree with the thread which makes 6 agreements in total.

Bump.

It seems like you have reached an agreement, so what currently needs to be done here?

Back