• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Melting in the Destruction Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So yeah, it's about time I go about adding melting to the destruction chart. See, here's the deal. The destruction chart, as it is, is a chart that provides an easy reference to the destruction of various materials. Problem is the destruction chart provides no easy reference for melting, despite materials and definitions mostly being borrowed from the Outskirts Battledome and our Reference for Common Feats page having four melting feats (an airplane, a tank, a car, and the Earth's surface) and one feat that uses melting as an element (destroying Tokyo Tower). There isn't even a footnote/explanation about it in there even when there's a footnote about the Kuz-Ram model. The only times where melting is mentioned anywhere in the Calculations page is in the section on how to calculate thermal energy in the change in temperature required to melt/vaporize stuff. It is especially bothersome as the very sites we took it from considers melting as an actual destruction property: https://www.fanverse.org/blogs/destruction-chart.16119/

That's not mentioning a lot of our vaporization feats involve heat and we've gotten our vaporization values from heat and melting is usually the logical first step in heating. Both vaporization and melting at their base uses melting as a base. The main difference is while vaporization uses both latent heat of fusion and latent heat of vaporization, melting only uses latent heat of fusion.

Rock (or "Rock Generalization" as it should be renamed) is about the easiest value we got. All of our values were gotten from the Outskirts Battledome, although for some reason our dumb arses used the OBD's vaporization value for rock as our atomization value and arbitrarily came up with a vaporization value for rock, but that's besides the point. The Outskirts Battledome had the following values for rock.:

Fragmentation: 8 J/cm³ (Rounded up from the value they got from this: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Asteroids.html )
V. Frag: 69 J/cm³ (don't ask where they got that from; I ain't got a clue)
Pulverization: 214.35 J/cm³ (we rounded that down to 214 J/cm³ for whatever reason, yet changing City Level's 6.3-megaton requirement to 6.21 megatons is somehow a smaller change)
Melting: 6174.5 J/cm³ (Gotten from this: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Asteroids.html )
Vaporization: 30825.9 J/cm³ (Same as above)

The rest is more or less a "figure it out yourself" deal thanks to, well, nobody thinking to actually list melting values despite the OBD more than happily doing so. I had already taken care of concrete for you, as shown here: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U...Amanda_the_Adventurer:_The_Buildings_Are_Dead!

In that case, concrete's melting value is painstakingly tallied up for each and every component it had and lists its melting value at 2006 kilojoules per kilogram, equivalent to 4814.503209 J/cm³ (based on concrete's traditional density of 2.4 g/cm³). The metals are all easy to handle; just use the lab-standard 20°C as a baseline temperature and use Theodore Grey's periodic table website for all the values you need.: https://periodictable.com/index.html

Grey leads Wolfram Research Center, so he knows what the frick he's doing.

But anyway, there are a ton of feats that involve melting, whether it be the many glacier-melting feats laying around, or that one episode of Codename: Kids Next Door where Numbuh 3 had the thermostat melt her entire house down. The OBD allows people to easily find melting values while we're far behind on that game. Trust me, I came from the Outskirts Battledome; where did you think my condescending nature comes from?

So why not add melting to the Destruction Chart in our Calculations page? It's literally the step before vaporization. Heck, I can probably handle some values myself, as I've shown prior: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Flashlight237/Some_Calc_Value_Fixes_+_A_New_Material_or_Two

Inoffensive change if people will work out the proper values to place. I do contest that we don't offer an easy way of doing this (it is all explained on the page, after all, with the values you'll need present) but there's little harm in making it easier.

Yeah. I mean the summary for it is self-explanatory as well, although I should write one up just in case.:

Melting: Applied when the matter that was destroyed was liquified. It should be important to note that some materials instead sublime (ex. carbon dioxide and graphite), kindle (ex. wood and rubber), or otherwise decompose (ex. sucrose). The value is 6174.5 (J/cc).

It seems like this revision has been accepted then, but it needs to be very properly applied as well.

I think listing melting calculations on the table next to vaporization calculations sounds good.

Something I will bring up, some N/A thingies will need to be put in the destruction chart, like in carbon (it sublimes), diamond (literally just carbon but shiny), and water (how dumb are you if you think liquids melt?). Ice would also get an N/A in vaporization since ice is just water.

Last edited:
Technically, vaporizing ice would be slightly higher per mass given the initial temperature is lower, unless the table specifically mentioned "Room temperature is assumed" as a foot note. But since regular ice never is room temperature, we either could exclude it or specify Ice as an exception that it's sub-zero.

Why does Google Drive access need a password? This is not practical.

As for bone part, keep in mind that this calculation is based on simplified assumptions and average values. The actual process of bone decomposition and the energy required for melting would be influenced by various factors and may not follow this simple calculation precisely.

Does bone actually melt to begin with?
Apparently it does considering they found a melting point for its main component: hydroxyapatite.
Why does Google Drive access need a password? This is not practical.

As for bone part, keep in mind that this calculation is based on simplified assumptions and average values. The actual process of bone decomposition and the energy required for melting would be influenced by various factors and may not follow this simple calculation precisely.
Well, I found the problem. I forgot to change the access from "restricted" to "anyone with a link".

So what are the current conclusions here, and is somebody here willing and able to carefully and properly update our relevant instruction page in this regard?

So what are the current conclusions here, and is somebody here willing and able to carefully and properly update our relevant instruction page in this regard?
Everyone's cool with it. Someone should tell Agnaa to take this thread off his to-do list, tho.

We're not accurate enough to justify going to extreme sigfigs anyways. Even hundredths is generous. So, I agree.

Thank you for helping out. This can probably be added then. 🙏

You can, if you like. I can unlock the pages.

Alright. I will unlock it now, when you're sure you've got it right, you can tell me here and I will relock it.

It's just the Calculations page, aye? (That one is unlocked now, for the record).

Alright. I will unlock it now, when you're sure you've got it right, you can tell me here and I will relock it.

It's just the Calculations page, aye? (That one is unlocked now, for the record).
Done everything that's, at least as far as I'm aware, necessary. Had to add in several materials due to necessity (just the ones directly tied to the Melting Chart, plus Silica is its own category of materials of which glass and ballistic glass would be categorized under), so yeah.

Also, your organization sucks eggs. I had to put Rock Generalization on top as that's often seen as the most important value on Vs-Debating entities, put every metal/element with each other, put every rock with each other, put every water-related material with each other, put every silicate with each other (of which there was only two: glass and ballistic glass, which I had to categorize under "Silica"), and put off-shoot materials (alloys, diamond, and iron allotropes) with their base elements just to make everything look more organized.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back