• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kirby Formatting CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a strong advocate for being more organized, but just at a first glance, I'm struggling to understand the reasoning behind removing the separation between abilities and resistances.

I don't see a problem with having a three-layer tabber here, since it clearly separates out the resistances from an otherwise very long and very blue wall of text. Including the explanations, I would say his list of resistances is long enough to justify it, since otherwise it's a pain on the eyes trying to track where the abilities end and the resistances begin.

Also, it seems like there's some issues with some of the tabbers in the sandbox, which makes it hard to see if the change is better or not. Notably in the attacks/techniques section. (It just says "<tabber> |-|Unique powers")

I'm a strong advocate for being more organized, but just at a first glance, I'm struggling to understand the reasoning behind removing the separation between abilities and resistances.

I don't see a problem with having a three-layer tabber here, since it clearly separates out the resistances from an otherwise very long and very blue wall of text. Including the explanations, I would say his list of resistances is long enough to justify it, since otherwise it's a pain on the eyes trying to track where the abilities end and the resistances begin.
I was feeling the same way tbh, I was thinking to point out how that bit didn't look good but then I never did it.
Also, it seems like there's some issues with some of the tabbers in the sandbox, which makes it hard to see if the change is better or not. Notably in the attacks/techniques section. (It just says "<tabber> |-|Unique powers")
I used the nowiki code so I could edit it with Visual editing. Now I removed it.

Then perhaps we could keep that split.
In regards to the items and techniques, I feel as if the collapsible tables are indeed a massive improvement over the previous format.

That said, this may highlight a problem which would require a more fundamental policy change to do more than band-aid:
Kirby seems to be pushing the limits of what's practical with the established profile format, but making it a lot more collapsible should at least make it easier for devices to load and display. From a web design standpoint, it may be worth considering some way to have the justifications and descriptions of things display separately from the list itself or making each thing collapsible, especially as Kirby continues to grow.
I'm not sure if there's an efficient way to do so with the wiki's technology, though. Basically, it would theoretically be far cleaner if the power list could just say "Transformation" with an option to click that to expand out the justification, and same for every statistic, but again I'm not sure if this is actually possible with our current technology.

Basically, it would theoretically be far cleaner if the power list could just say "Transformation" with an option to click that to expand out the justification, and same for every statistic, but again I'm not sure if this is actually possible with our current technology.
That would be the best timeline, maybe in 5 years.

Not very on topic, but in light of any changes could we please replace the extremely outdated and extraneous Kirby Star Allies promotional art Kirby's profile currently has? We've had two games come out since then (Forgotten Land and Return to Dream Land Deluxe) with art that could've been added for modernity's sake.

The main Kirby thread about all things in the verse is still open, and I'm having a hard time making this one, which is more limited, move a bit forward.

So, what should be done here? Should I add it, wait some more, or can I cover the thread that came before as this one waits?

Bit out of my depth given the mass of Kirby's profile so I'm not sure the best what would be the best formatting method that's easy on the eyes. I share a similar view with FinePoint, but Eficiente's sandbox looks okay enough but again, I'm not sure what the best way would be.

Far as I'm concerned it's fine, sure, there's some minor form of bloating here and there, but perfection is unreasonable.

PnA is the best and the addition of readable foldouts(what it essentially is) makes things feels about 10x more coherent. It's fine far as I'm concerned.

vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Kirby?diff=8104085&oldid=8095548

Here it is. Now I will continue with the other missing part of Kirby's profile in the Sandbox, I will say when I'm done.
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User:Eficiente/SandboxSK

There. I finished the other part of Kirby's profile. It would need evaluation as well.
@DMUA @FinePoint @DaReaperMan @LordGriffin1000 @Wokistan @JustSomeWeirdo @Tllmbrg @CrimsonStarFallen @CloverDragon03 @Armorchompy @Deagonx @LordTracer @Starter_Pack @Therefir @AbaddonTheDisappointment

What do you think about this?

Where's my staff promotion if you're lumping me in with 14 staff lmfao
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User:Eficiente/SandboxSK

There. I finished the other part of Kirby's profile. It would need evaluation as well.
"oe: [16], 4 Heart Spears[18], Zap Weapon[19]"
Uh... Standard Equipment? Or Optional Equipment? Rest looks good but that sticks out like a sore thumb

"oe: [16], 4 Heart Spears[18], Zap Weapon[19]"
Uh... Standard Equipment? Or Optional Equipment? Rest looks good but that sticks out like a sore thumb
I had to copy that from the og profile so to keep the editing the same, so that I would just need to to copy & paste everything (minus that) when adding everything. I didn't go over his equipment since I can't make it shorter than a one-off mention of an item, then another, and so on.

Evaluations are great, just remember to tell me directly when I can add this so I may do so w/o having to assume it.

And once that's done, can I move on from this thread? I do plan to do similar, shorter things for other profiles (Magolor, King Dedede, Fecto Forgo), but if I could do that in the Kirby CRT I already had opened while being able to add the things there already accepted, it would be faster.

I had to copy that from the og profile so to keep the editing the same, so that I would just need to to copy & paste everything (minus that) when adding everything. I didn't go over his equipment since I can't make it shorter than a one-off mention of an item, then another, and so on.

Evaluations are great, just remember to tell me directly when I can add this so I may do so w/o having to assume it.

And once that's done, can I move on from this thread? I do plan to do similar, shorter things for other profiles (Magolor, King Dedede, Fecto Forgo), but if I could do that in the Kirby CRT I already had opened while being able to add the things there already accepted, it would be faster.
Alright

Better late then not at all I suppose

Sure, it is a Kirby formatting CRT, and I can't see anything differentiating the character from the series in the title!

I agree, and on the topic of Kirby pages, this is minor but I dislike the usage of fan translations for the pages' quotes. They're better for the sake of accuracy, when it comes to battleboarding, but they're really stilted and sometimes so literal they don't even make sense. Magolor's page is a good example.

Official translation: "The shattered crown was scattered across dimensions, as were Magolor's powers. Now he seeks to reclaim them! Is this a journey of penance or revenge? And what surprises away at the end?!" neat, punchy, simple to understand.

Fan translation: "The crown shatters, and falls to Another Sky. Magolor embarks on a journey to collect power that was scattered. Whether this is a journey of atonement or a journey of revenge, only he is aware of his true feelings. What kind of shocking conclusion awaits at the end of his journey!?" Contains several grammatical errors, is worded very awkwardly and generally makes little sense if you don't already know what it's talking about.
Yeah, I dunno why fan translations are being used when official ones exist

Also I agree with the OP

I share Lonkitt's sentiments. I get it when you're using certain quotes for scaling purposes, so as to get the raw Japanese translation, but for regular quotes at the top of the character's profile, just stick with the localized version

Also, what is the tally for the staff conclusions here so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back