• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kirby Formatting CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
TL;DR, profiles are unbelievably bloated. Stop doing that. Reject the modernity of tabbers, embrace the tradition of collapsible wikitables.

Right off the bat here, this isn't quite a normal CRT. While there's certainly a lot of abilities in here that I disagree with, they're not the primary issue of this CRT. Quite frankly, I disagree with so much of what I'm reading that I just don't care enough to deal with an inevitable super long CRT that would come of it. If people get bogged down with those rather than the main point I'm fully willing to use threadbans to forcibly rerail things. Rather than the information itself that primarily needs revising, it's the way this content is formatted that's in dire need of a rework. The pages in the kirby franchise as a whole suffer from this issue, and I shall be primarily using the titular character's page to demonstrate as he's emblematic of a lot of the worst of what these pages have to offer. In what's ostensibly some sort of weird dick measuring contest dedicated to having the highest possible bytes possible on a profile (and no, you're not slick in "coincidentally" pushing out a ton of edits with little substance but many bytes the same day a page is uploaded that's somehow even bigger), the Kirby profile people have lost sight of the fact that the intent of these pages is ultimately to convey information, not to take up the most space on a website. The profile's bloated size is actively detrimental to its ability to convey said information, and as such this flaw must be rectified.

I. Tabbers
A lot of the time these very large profiles are, by their very nature, too large to read all in one sitting. It's not always the fault of the profiles, sometimes there just legitimately is enough pertinent information which results in a large page, this in itself is not necessarily an issue. However, when this occurs, it should be noted that people tend to navigate such large files with the lovely little shortcut known as Control + F to search out specific keywords so they can find the information they need. It's not perfect, since a lot of people remain unaware of the shortcut, but it's certainly a lot better than reading blue and white on blue background scouring the file for some little tidbit of info, so I feel that we should make large profiles conducive to its usage.

THIRTY EIGHT tabbers with about two sentences of description for each of their contents are absolutely not conducive to using control F. That particular example is taken from the "Items" section of Kirby's profile, with the copy abilities section having a massive 60 which at least have more than one or two lines to go with them. See, information squirreled away in tabbers doesn't show up with control+f. It's locked out from that shortcut. If you're looking for something which is just hidden somewhere in a tabber and you don't already know where to look, chances are you're not finding that information. There's also some tabbers which are quite frankly just bizarre. There's tabbers for unrelated quotes down in the feats and abilities section, tabbers that go three deep, there's even tabbers where I genuinely can't tell what they're supposed to be doing without going into the page's code. So, what should we do in return? A few things. First off, here's a neat bit of wiki code.

{| class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
! (title)
|-
| (content)
|}

Red text is stuff that you don't literally type. This produces a collapsible box, and it solves two problems at once. It lets you section things off in a way that's organized and allows for clear delineation of disparate categories, and it allows for control F to be much more usable. Opening all the infoboxes and control F now finds almost anything you want, while keeping the profile less visually cluttered for people who don't care about those categories. The tabbers for Items, Copy Abilities, all three variations of Mixed Ability, Super Abilities, Limited Use Abilities, and Final Abilities should be done away with and converted to collapsible wikitables instead. This isn't even getting into whether you even need all these categories to be totally separate (looking at you, limited use abilities) or whether there's bloat within them. That comes later.

As for powers and abilities, we really don't want to be going more than two tabbers deep most of the time. I'm willing to allow the tabbers for your keys, but kirby really doesn't have enough resistances to justify a third layer. Put that under the same header as the abilities like a normal person.

The tabbers for intelligence and standard tactics? Get rid of them entirely. Especially intelligence, genuinely what the **** is that entire section. This dips a bit into a later section, but there's just too many glaring issues with this one. The amount of keys for intelligence doesn't even match up to the amount of keys Kirby has. It's unclear what the split here even is, and why he was given four different intelligences. With those sections themselves, you can remove almost all of that text and still have the prevailing meaning. It is entirely unnecessary to refuse to give kirby a set intelligence and to write an essay for every single possible end. This is not a hotly contested profile section, nor is it a character summary, and even here it meanders into irrelevancy and starts talking about things that have absolutely nothing to do with intelligence like not getting grossed out by a bleeding eye and being capable of using a little thing we call vision and deciding to attack something's gigantic wings accordingly. Almost none of this needs to be here. If you want to convey the point that he's childlike and goofy but is proficient at combat, there's far better ways of doing that than listing every single example ever which could possibly support these conclusions (or just talks about random shit because big number funni, I guess). Not to toot my own horn too much, but I'd use my in development profile's intelligence section of the same message conveyed far more concisely. The character's not exactly book smart, but is an expert combatant, so I just stick to a key event which sets the tone and then focus on the most pertinent bits of combat information, and if I wanted to use other things I could simply use the feats section. Standard tactics has these issues to a lesser extent, but really it just doesn't have any business being tabbers. There's no need to delineate general and base like that, and copy abilities is literally one sentence.

As alluded to with that third recommendation, the tabber usage isn't exactly the only issue with this profile or others like it. A lot of the information actually present just doesn't help the profile fulfil its goals, and this is a problem all throughout the profiles.

II. Redundant Information
Quite simply, not everything needs to be on a profile. You're writing for comprehension, not for a replacement of the games themselves, and including too much information like this is actively bad for comprehension to begin with. Section by section with this one.

Powers and Abilities:

• Ghost Kirby is already given its own key, yet a bunch of its abilities are reposted under pre-star allies.
  • Post-Star Allies doesn't need to restate accelerated development like that. Make use of the feats section of the profile if you really must.
  • A lot of abilities are explained in detail both up in P&A and down in NA&T. The whole point of the latter is that you don't have to duplicate this.
Onto the statistics:
  • Attack Potency includes too much extrapolation and storytelling. The verse already has a bunch of blogs to establish these more complicated things, just stick to the feats. It's better to have a succinct AP section which gets the point across rather than detailing every single person Kirby beat up which all scale back to the same feat anyways. If something's not intuitively the tier that it is, that's where the link to a calc or in this case the cosmology blog comes in. Kirby itself isn't the worst page about this, but look at the absurdity that is Magolor.
  • Speed: Again, there is no reason to repost the same feat over and over again, nor is there reason to post every single person that scales to that same feat. Keep it to people who actually have distinct speed feats, and even then keep it to enough examples to get the point across and establish consistency.
  • Lifting Strength: Despite some spelling and grammar errors, this is genuinely done much better than the other sections.
  • Striking Strength: lol
  • Durability is also fine, which confuses me. Clearly someone somewhere down the line was able to articulate what tier Kirby was at in a succinct manner, yet it was only done for one chunk of the profile and not the other.
  • Stamina through equipment is fine.
  • Intelligence is not fine, as mentioned. Delete most of that. Ditto for standard tactics.
  • The existence of note 2 makes the long winded AP explanation even weirder. You don't need to repost the same information over and over, not only is that inefficient but it actively harms reading comprehension.
NA&T:
  • Explaining the scaling of other characters is extraneous. This is the page for Kirby, not the page for everyone who kinda looks like him.
  • Quotes don't get directly embedded like that, link to them or put them in pastebin if you can't due to paywall reasons.
  • Elasticity gets very redundant. Just show the more extreme examples which by themselves imply the less extreme ones, and there's no need to mention him being a ball four times.
  • While there's general language problems throughout which don't need a thread to fix, I genuinely don't know what's meant by "Potential not uses: As elaborated in an interview, Kirby as a character is developed being able to do mysterious things other characters in his series cannot naturally do (Until it becomes indigenous for them), "unreasonableness" being a goal, and "people who cannot be convinced of unreasonable things unless they are explained one by one" being rational to think that way, but incorrect to apply that to Kirby." Clean that up, somehow.
  • Page shouldn't be speculating about what he can do. Stick to what can be proven.
  • This toon force section is just generally more ESL than normal and hard to read.
  • Regeneration is repeated information from P&A. In addition, it makes a bunch of non-feat arguments for the power being there, which is not really how that section works.
  • Kirby not having bones doesn't need to be explained in such excruciating detail. "Kirby doesn't have bones, according to his creator (link to statement) is really all you need.
  • Inhale is really wordy and lists things it doesn't need to like how kirby generally does not eat bombs.
  • Size manip shouldn't be all blue.
  • While I'm ignoring issues with the actual content for the most part because we'd be here all day, I'll take a brief diversion to talk about a section explaining copy abilities. This profile will refuse to elaborate or cite anything remotely contentious while writing an essay on how Kirby's not very smart. It's got its priorities all mixed up. You cannot just say that actually Copy Abilities don't get lost on damage despite doing so in basically every game with no further elaboration despite claiming that there's toooooootally tons of examples guys, trust me. Especially if you're going to bloat the profile with shit nobody cares about to support an uncontroversial claim which is already supported with far less. This is just ridiculous.
  • Why would you include evidence of a claim you then say probably isn't the case in pocket reality manipulation? Choose your interpretation and stick to it. The refutation doesn't cite anything, so it's not like you needed those links of supposed evidence to prove a point. It's just clutter.
  • Fusion shouldn't be all blue, put the bulleted list to actual use
  • No need for random quotes about Kirby being quirky
  • Duplication is another example of the profile's bad habit of just asserting contentious shit with literally no citation, in this case the duplicates which only appear for dancing tooooootally retaining full functionality of the normal guy despite this not being something intuitively accepted. It makes the bloat seem deliberate in that it's trying to turn readers off with excessive length and blue text in an attempt to get them to assume that everything's sourced really well and doesn't need a closer look, or to discourage people from even wanting to take one.
  • None of this section (They're stated to be "even stronger than the Copy Ability", although if there initially was an incomparable gap in power between the Super Abilities and Kirby's own regular stats, evidence suggests Kirby has reached it by himself by the end of Return to Dream Land, making Super Abilities reasonably more powerful moves from then on, in line with the stats characters on Kirby's level have: Magolor EX used a magic shield immune to regular attacks from Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight & Bandana Dee. Kirby's Super Abilites were able to destroy that shield in 5 hits, their battle having gone "beyond limits" by the end. Then, the Master Crown took control of Magolor, transforming him into a more powerful form, which didn't use that shield and Kirby & co. beat up. That form of Magolor could use Super Abilities against Kirby & co., attacks they could take. Later on, occasions where Magolor showed up as a playable character have him being able to use the Ultra Sword (a Super Ability), with characters on Kirby's level being able to survive attacks from it, if it's a reasonably powerful move next to his other attacks.) needs to be here. It's the one below the first sentence on "Super Abilities."
  • That third paragraph needs to be cut down too.
All in all, reading this profile closely has caused me to come to the conclusion that it's probably deliberately hiding wank by bloat in a manner akin to the old /tg/ old man henderson background. Not really what you want your profile to do.

III. Sentence Structure
Paradoxically, this bit is being kept brief due to the prevalence of this problem on the profile. Things can just be said way more concisely than they're being said. A lot of this may be due to ESL problems, but a lot of it also isn't. This is omnipresent within the profile. I'd be happy to offer alternative phrasings to specific passages on request, but I'm not rewriting the whole profile on the spot. An example of this from Magolor since I noticed this earlier would be taking a line like "Can harm Kirby with a mini Lor Starcutter, but they were playing as samurai somewhat casually, with Magolor proven to be acting when he loses, making this inapplicable" and pruning it down to something like "Can defeat Kirby in a casual samurai match, though it's clear neither sustains real harm."

Again, this issue is everywhere in the profile, even the classification section (somehow???), so providing a play by play like I did before would just be importing the profile's bloat to the CRT's.

Overall, Kirby's profile and the other profiles in the series need to stop just trying to be the biggest filesize possible and need to start getting back to their intended purpose of conveying information in a concise and understandable manner.

Did you know that the Kirby profile was pumped full of so much hot air that local glowie Wokistan had to invent 34 rules on the Versus Battles Wiki to prevent it from bursting? Google Kirby Inflation Rule 34 to learn more!*

*Do not actually do this.

Last edited:
You know its a bloated profile when ive tried to clean it up three times and gave up each time lmao

I'm reminded of when Matt made a thread on the old school kind of bloat where profiles just looked too absurdly long, so we started putting tabbers on ability sections

Considering the primary motivation that was also an invertebrate gel-like character that eats people for powers (Rimuru), it's truly come full circle

There's a difference between profiles that should've had a verse-specific power but that was shot down over discord because reasons(I'm looking at you Kairos Fateweaver), and a profile that probably should've just been changed from the getgo. Like this one.

I agree, but I should note(Since I mentioned him) that the majority of Kairos's bytes comes from his INCREDIBLY NEAT N&T section and not his actual PnA.

Kairos Fateweaver is as big as it is because it can use every spell in the setting, and there's a lot of them. That profile at least lists those under a collapsible element, which is part what I'm suggesting to use to improve the Kirby profile.

Kairos Fateweaver is as big as it is because it can use every spell in the setting, and there's a lot of them. That profile at least lists those under a collapsible element, which is part what I'm suggesting to use to improve the Kirby profile.
Either a collapsable box or a scrollbox would work

Also reformatting a bit to put the items currently listed in his attacks and techniques section into hi actual equipment section

As I said, incredibly neat.

It's 40K PnA is the problem with 4 layers of ******* tabbers.

Did you know that the Kirby profile was pumped full of so much hot air that local glowie Wokistan had to invent 34 rules on the Versus Battles Wiki to prevent it from bursting? Google Kirby Inflation Rule 34 to learn more!*

*Do not actually do this.
What in the goddamn-

Yeah Kirby's profile is inflated more than he is in Dream Buffet why do the tabbers link to different pages it makes it really annoying when I want to click go back.

We really need Efficiente here though, although he is busy with applying the RTDLDX additions

I think most of the fluff in the NA&T section isn't so bad, it's supposed to be an in depth look into the character's abilities, but agree with the rest

Yeah, I pretty much give up evertime I try to read those profiles for how much fluff they have in it.

Those profiles are pretty much reliant on the proof by intimidation, making those excessively long and try to discourage the reader from checking it properly for the insane amount of uneccessary information.

I agree, I had no idea it was this bad. Although, I do think the weird sentence structure at times is due to the way Eficiente types and isn't intentional bloat (it's why i try to avoid debating him at all costs).

I will admit the page is super bloated (even Kratos's page is better laid out than it), but we need to consult Efi about this.

I agree, and on the topic of Kirby pages, this is minor but I dislike the usage of fan translations for the pages' quotes. They're better for the sake of accuracy, when it comes to battleboarding, but they're really stilted and sometimes so literal they don't even make sense. Magolor's page is a good example.

Official translation: "The shattered crown was scattered across dimensions, as were Magolor's powers. Now he seeks to reclaim them! Is this a journey of penance or revenge? And what surprises away at the end?!" neat, punchy, simple to understand.

Fan translation: "The crown shatters, and falls to Another Sky. Magolor embarks on a journey to collect power that was scattered. Whether this is a journey of atonement or a journey of revenge, only he is aware of his true feelings. What kind of shocking conclusion awaits at the end of his journey!?" Contains several grammatical errors, is worded very awkwardly and generally makes little sense if you don't already know what it's talking about.

Kirby profile was pumped full of so much hot air that local glowie Wokistan
YOU'VE REVEALED YOURSELF GLOWER
pp,504x498-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Have you not seen what my flair has been for years

It seems we're mainly just waiting on Eficiente at the moment.

Honestly, I'm checking Kirby on other wikis, and this is much more readable, no offense.

@The_Pink_God did it if you wonder.

I think the main issue on that other wiki is the background combined with the text color, that would make just about any page a pain without some custom css to insert a normal solid background. It's a little off topic though, since my suggested changes aren't in accordance to what's going on over there.

Oh my gosh. Yes, please. I have been aware of this bloat for a while, and I constantly see...a certain unnamed individual adding more and more to all of these profiles, oftentimes over 1,000 bytes at a time with a bunch of rambling nonsense.

I hate to do this to the puffball, but...look at Sonic's profile for a second. 142,483 bytes, and there's nary any wasted space here. I am aware that it's less than half of Kirby's size, but the information is described in a very concise way that doesn't take an entire wiki to figure out.

In case it isn't clear, I am all for the changes here.

I think the main issue on that other wiki is the background combined with the text color, that would make just about any page a pain without some custom css to insert a normal solid background. It's a little off topic though, since my suggested changes aren't in accordance to what's going on over there.
I just posted it to make a comparison about contents.

Oh my gosh. Yes, please. I have been aware of this bloat for a while, and I constantly see...a certain unnamed individual adding more and more to all of these profiles, oftentimes over 1,000 bytes at a time with a bunch of rambling nonsense.

I hate to do this to the puffball, but...look at Sonic's profile for a second. 142,483 bytes, and there's nary any wasted space here. I am aware that it's less than half of Kirby's size, but the information is described in a very concise way that doesn't take an entire wiki to figure out.

In case it isn't clear, I am all for the changes here.
Do we need a gallery page that almost looks like a character gallery that came from the Sonic Wiki as it even features plenty of non-canon images tho?

Galleries don't do any harm. They're not really necessary but they're flavor, nothing wrong with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back