• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

King Sombra vs. Starswirl the Bearded (Concluded)

I personally believe that Starswirl would take this battle over Sombra. Yes, Sombra is likely more powerful, but we honestly can't definitively say the amount. Both have shown to be stronger than Twilight, but by how much is not exactly sure, nor how much in relation to each other. Because of that, I feel like we need to defer to their other stuff. Sombra has some mind hax and his smoke form, but Starswirl...well, he was the most versatile unicorn in history, and created a large portion of the most powerful spells in the series, some we don't even know about. I give it to Starswirl on versatility, high difficulty.

Considering that the power difference between them is very close, Starswirl's versatility of spells and experience would win out in the end, assuming we ignore any instant win battle conditions like Mind Manipulation and BFR.

Starswirl wins with medium to high difficulty.

It would definitely be a tough battle either way, and each has adavntages. Sombra has mind manipulation and a shadow form that would be advantagous, while Starswirl probably has more versatile spells and experience...honestly, I think I'm gonna go with Sombra, just cause he's seemed more impressive in the show.

Well, I asked everyone listed on mlp page, I don't know who else can I ask.

Maybe. I'll wait for some time, but if no one will put more votes, then I'll add this as inconclusive.

Kerf, that's not how that works. you can't add a match just because it isn't getting enough votes to finish. You have to wait until either character gets 7 or more votes and then it can be added as a victory/loss/incon.

Oh really. My bad. I thought that if its a tie for a long time then its an inconclusive. I didn't know that it still needs 7 votes for one side. I'm sorry. Frieza force soldier, that would be nice, thank you.

I'm honestly surprised that the voting for this matchup is this close.

Yes, Star Swirl is the greatest Unicorn of all time, but he lacks the necessary feats (specifically combat related feats) needed make me actually believe he would have a shot at beating Sombra. Most of the reasonings I've seen in favor of him has been mostly hype. He created a lot of spells, but we don't know if most of those spells are useful in a fight, they can just be for everyday conviences. The most impressive thing he has going for him are his shield which temporarily held off against a PoS magic blast and his portal that BFR'd the Sirens. The former isn't a win condition because it's strictly a defensive spell while the latter seems to require some trickery to get the opponent to involuntarily walk through.

Sombra on the other hand has multiple win conditions. Mind control, as stated, is the most obvious one that easily put a high tier like Starlight out of commission and itself was easily about to repel Alicorn Twilight's attempt of deactivating it. I saw some counterpoints in this thread regarding Star Swirl being able to evade this, but this can follow onto my next point. He also has magic resistant crystals which completely neutered Cadance, Shining Armor, and Twilight. As evident with the S3 opener, Sombra is very adept at setting traps that can lead into an easy win via his other abilities.

I still haven't seen any argument that explains how Star Swirl is going to deal with his smoke intangibility, other than hype from unrevealed spells.

Powers and abilities aside, Sombra's resume is just more impressive:

-Needed 2 Alicorns to turn his body into from physical into an ethereal smoke form

-Tanked a blast from the 2nd version of the Elements of Harmony

-Destroyed the Tree of Harmony, the same tree that was able to fend off the power of Discord's plunderseeds and simulatenously hold back the Everfree forest (the same forest Star Swirl fights against in S9 opener)

Vote goes to King Sombra.

Back