• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ki-Adi-Mundi vs Qui-Gon Jinn

QuiGonPortrait-SWE
Mundi full body
Two characters that I have seen lose almost every matchup they've been put in on various vs sites, many of which I disagree with. I would argue that after Kenobi, Anakin and Luke, they're the strongest 5-B Jedi in the Movie Era
So consider this my "Fourth Strongest 5-B Jedi in the movies"

Him, close match but I'll have to give it to Qui-Gon here. Jinn performed admirably against Darth Maul on two different occasions, while Mundi got his ass handed to him by Grevious even when backed up by four to five other competent Jedi. I'm not dissing Grevious or anything, but I widely view him and Maul to be in the same ball park, given that both can give Obi Wan during his prime in the Clone Wars a really good fight. This is further doubled by the fact that Qui-Gon was trained by Dooku, one of the best swordsmen in the Prequel era with only few exceptions. Granted, Mundi has actually war time experience on his side and is generally more combat oriented than Jinn, I don't see that bypassing the skill gap here, especially sense Jinn has been in quite a few skirmishes himself by this point against the likes of his rogue student.

" Mundi got his ass handed to him by Grevious even when backed up by four to five other competent Jedi"

Said Jedi were stated to have been exhausted several times

Not saying I disagree, just pointing that out. Also, while Maul is > Ventress (Maul > Savage >= Ventress), a fresh Mundi Mundi did briefly fight and gain the upper hand against her who can also fight, if that's worth anything.

BruceTheBatman said:
" Mundi got his ass handed to him by Grevious even when backed up by four to five other competent Jedi"

Said Jedi were stated to have been exhausted several times

Not saying I disagree, just pointing that out. Also, while Maul is > Ventress (Maul > Savage >= Ventress), a fresh Mundi Mundi did briefly fight and gain the upper hand against her who can also fight, if that's worth anything.
Fair point, I actually forgot about that.

Eh, I could see Qui Gon doing that as well. Not dissing Ventress, but compared to Maul and Gravious she isn't quite up to snuff in my eyes

That still doesn't counter the point of being trained by Dooku, although I'll have to think this over a bit more before I vote now.

I'm leaning towards Jinn on this one.

Jinn has the advantage in physical strength. He's a bit younger and hardier. His ability to last as long as he did against Maul and even knock him around with a punch out of nowhere should tell you that Jinn's strength is not to be taken lightly. Not enough? Okay, how about the fact that Maul says that Jinn's blows sent shudders throughout his body? Let that sink in. Maul, one of the toughest SOBs in all of Star Wars, said Jinn's blows sent shudders throughout his body. Mundi has no accolades to put his physical strength on that kind of a level. However, Mundi should be comparable in terms of speed and reactions.

In terms of Force abilities, I'm not sure who holds the advantage. Both of them are powerful High Councillor levels with accolades such as "they have complete mastery over the Force". Jinn sparingly uses it in combat, mostly preferring to use physical augmentation for the sake of Ataru. Mundi has shown some utilitarian and smart tactical uses, but nothing that would be a game changer against someone like Jinn.

In terms of lightsaber combat, I'm actually leaning towards Jinn. He was trained by Dooku and was held up as a "masterful swordsman" by Plaugueis, himself described as a masterful duellist and more than a match for the best of the Jedi Order. Mundi has some skills in Forms II, IV, and V but I doubt his skill-set would be enough to overwhelm Jinn in a one-on-one duel. Jinn tweaked his fighting style and overcame many of its weaknesses (though certainly not the one relating to closed spaces). And he'd be highly familiar with Form II thanks to his years under Dooku.

Ki-Adi Mundi is not a powerful as Darth Maul, not young, not as smart, and not as well trained, but I think he has all the same advantages needed to defeat Gui-gon Jinn.

Mundi was durable enough to takes hits from General Grevious powerful enough to be sent flying, crash into and be buried under a tower of metal wreckage and get right back up. Mundi was personally trained by Yoda and was a master in Ataru (the same form as Qui-gon) and adept in Makashi (the form of Qui-gon's former master Count Dooku). He was skilled enough to last longer than any jedi master against General Grevious despite being exhausted and being the general's focus thoughout the battle.

I think Ki-Adi Mundi could substitute Darth Maul superior tactical sense for his own familiarity with Qui-gon Jinn on a martial as well on a personal level. He would take advantage of Qui-gon's recklessness and allow Jinn to burn himself out before counter attacking at the peak of Qui-gon's exhaustion, in the same way that Maul but with considerably more effort.

Back