• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(JTTW) Sun Wukong CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for helping out, and sorry about being a bother. I think that this profile page seems important to get done right before it is published.

Thank you for helping out, and sorry about being a bother. I think that this profile page seems important to get done right before it is published.
And you are 100% right on that. This is a very important profile, for both the history of the character and its legacy in fantastical literature, much less its sheer popularity.

It shouldn't be rushed at all.

Sadly all the staff is exhausted when it comes to going over this topic.

We're in the final stretch but it's hard to make any progress with a lot of staff avoiding the CRT like the Plague.

It is probably best to wait for Jasonsith and the others for at least a few days. After that I can call for them again, if you first remind me what they need to evaluate at that point.
Confluctor looked over the abilities for Dharma Body Key and up and I changed them according to what they said. All of the abilities listed should be fine and appliable to Sun Wukong.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping out so much. It is very appreciated.

Seems spatial.
Key point: spatial manipulation means moving space for others

But shortening the ground and moving mountain can seem just tectonic level earth manipulation.

Especially I read some words like "shortening the ground and moving a mountain".

Key point: spatial manipulation means moving space for others

But shortening the ground and moving mountain can seem just tectonic level earth manipulation.

Especially I read some words like "shortening the ground and moving a mountain".
Well, that's the spells name but it's clearly not doing that in the description.

The first one they were instantly moved into the middle of a city. It seems unlikely all the potential; buildings, mountains, etc slid to the side and then back while the ground was moving them across possible lakes and rivers in the way.

And the second one they instantly moved past the peak of a mountain. And again it seems unlikely the mountain split open for them or shifted itself to the side letting them move through past instantly and then moved back to its original position without disturbing the world around it.

Well, that's the spells name but it's clearly not doing that in the description.

The first one they were instantly moved into the middle of a city. It seems unlikely all the potential; buildings, mountains, etc slid to the side and then back while the ground was moving them across possible lakes and rivers in the way.

And the second one they instantly moved past the peak of a mountain. And again it seems unlikely the mountain split open for them or shifted itself to the side letting them move through past instantly and then moved back to its original position without disturbing the world around it.
If that's how the spells work in practice, I guess it's fine to say that they manipulate space.

Sorry about that, but we still need to properly finish this.

Hopefully this opens the door to some things I've been wanting to make profiles of for quite a while now. I've been meaning to make Dionysus (Dionysiaca), Dante (Divine Comedy), Inanna/Ishtar (Epic of Gilgamesh), Beowulf, King Gesar (Epic of King Gesar), Jiang Ziya (Investiture of the Gods), Rama (Ramayana), and Krishna (Mahabharata) profiles for quite some time, since they're "world epics" that, especially given this thread's agreed-upon standards, can reasonably be argued to "stand on their own" as pieces of literature independent of any "greater mythology" or "greater religion".

Bodhisattva Powers​

Deconstruction should be removed. Just dismantling a weapon in that manner doesn't qualify.
Limited Soul Manipulation feels very vague.
Fear Manipulation seems to just be the opponents being scared of the spells as opposed to any intrinsic property that induces fear.

Tiering​

Is there any actually coherent explanation for 1-C and High 1-C? The blog is really messy.

As for the rest, I can't see any overt issues so I guess they're fine.

Thank you for helping out. It is very appreciated.

Skimmed a bit, and there's a lotta stuff which seem odd to me. Will take some time to make the full list of "problems".

Okay. Thank you for helping out to you as well.

Deconstruction should be removed. Just dismantling a weapon in that manner doesn't qualify.
What should I replace this with? (Limited Telekinesis/Dismantling?)
Fear Manipulation seems to just be the opponents being scared of the spells as opposed to any intrinsic property that induces fear.
Fair enough.
Is there any actually coherent explanation for 1-C and High 1-C? The blog is really messy.

Last edited:

P&A

Breath Attack ([2]Can breathe out winds so strange they destroy forests and create tsunamis the size of mountains.)
Shouldn't it be "so strong"?

Camouflage ([3]Can Camouflage himself and others using wind.)
Is making dust rise really camouflage? From what the page explains and shows, it would be the ability to blend in your surrounding, not just blind your opponent with whatever.

Damage Reduction ([4]Can change the composition of his body to reduce damage.)
Isn't this just Statistics Amplification? It's Wukong who hardens his body, not the damage that is reduced.

Cosmic Awareness ([5]Can hear up to Heaven and into the Underworld, [6]he can also see up to a thousand miles perfectly. [7]Capable of seeing through transformations and [8]shapeshifters. [9]With his eyes he can see if something is true or false, good or evil, wealthy or poor.)
I'm pretty sure half of it isn't Cosmic Awareness but Enhanced Senses or Extrasensory stuff.

Resurrection ([24]Every transformation is equal to one extra life, which are infinite.)
The proof litteraly is a scan saying he has 72 extra lives.

Superhuman Physical Characteristics
Should be put at the very beginning of his P&A. Same for stuff like Weapon Mastery n stuff.

Animal Manipulation ([32]Can speak to and befriend animals.)
Isn't this just Social Influencing?

Biological Manipulation ([34]He can control his body and change its shape, [35]and is immune to all illnesses.)
That's Body Control + Resistance to Disease Manipulation

Body Control (He can invoke seizures onto other people.)
This isn't Body Control.

Invulnerability ([40]Sun Wukong has stated he is invulnerable and his body cannot be damaged, [41]his invulnerability and immortality is merged into his body. [42]This was further refined into his being. [43]And by mastering The Great Way [44]he would have an Indestructible Body. His body has only been damaged if he wished it to be.)
The first two scans flat out says he can be damaged, and it clearly isn't just because he wants to be. Doesn't really seem to be a litteral invulnerability but rather boasting and philosophical shitz.

Phasing Intangibility ([54]Can phase through solid matter.)
What's supposed to prove Phasing?

Resistance to Water Manipulation ([58]Can create repelling spells so water cannot harm him.), Fire Manipulation ([59]Can create repelling spells for fire so it cannot harm him.), Electricity Manipulation ([63]Can create repelling spells for thunder so it cannot harm him.),
Isn't this some form of Attack Reflection rather than Resistance? Since Wukong himself is burnt in the second scan.

Resistance to Corruption, Mind Manipulation and Social Influencing ([60] Having mastered The Great Way, [61]Sun Wukong would be capable of spell's that purify both his mind and body.)
That's just Purification, no Resistance.

Resistance to Power Nullification (The Dharma exists as the Buddha's Teachings, to get rid of it you would need to get rid of every Dharma Bodied Buddha and The Dharmakaya as it encompasses all of Buddhism.)
How does it prevent someone from just cancelling your attacks and stuff...?

Resistance to Information Analysis (The Dharma is extremely difficult to comprehend, with those who follow it unable to tell its limits and even Bodhisattvas unable to fathom its source (The Dharmakaya). This of course means ordinary people would be perplexed if they tried to understand its depths.)
It's not a Resistance to being analysed. Understanding a being that breaks the Square Cube Law or how Time truly works is also extremely difficult, yet both don't give any resistance to Information Analysis.

Resistance to BFR (Being Nigh-Omnipresent with The Dharma makes them near impossible to BFR.)
That's just their sheer scale, not a Resistance to being moved.

Teleportation (Through Buddha-Nature you simply arrive at places, with no need to travel. Spiritual Mountain in this case being Tathagata's Pure Land.)
Isn't this just their Omnipresence though?

Soul Manipulation and Stealth Mastery are unexplained.

Stats​

Moon level sounds weird given the feat, however I suck at calcs. It hasn't been accepted yet so we'll see.

Same as Planck on tier 1. I really don't see good explanations above Low 1-C.

Thanks again to both of you for helping out. It is very appreciated.

Fixed
Camouflage ([3]Can Camouflage himself and others using wind.)
Is making dust rise really camouflage? From what the page explains and shows, it would be the ability to blend in your surrounding, not just blind your opponent with whatever.
Removed
Damage Reduction ([4]Can change the composition of his body to reduce damage.)
Isn't this just Statistics Amplification? It's Wukong who hardens his body, not the damage that is reduced.
Changed
The Underworld exists an entire Universe away and Heaven exists on top of the cosmos, seems a bit much for Enhanced Senses
IF he is capable of 72 Transformations that means he has 72 Lives. Sun Wukong is capable of Infinite Transformations.
Superhuman Physical Characteristics
Should be put at the very beginning of his P&A. Same for stuff like Weapon Mastery n stuff.
Fixed
I guess?
Changed
What should it be?
Invulnerability ([40]Sun Wukong has stated he is invulnerable and his body cannot be damaged, [41]his invulnerability and immortality is merged into his body. [42]This was further refined into his being. [43]And by mastering The Great Way [44]he would have an Indestructible Body. His body has only been damaged if he wished it to be.)
The first two scans flat out says he can be damaged, and it clearly isn't just because he wants to be. Doesn't really seem to be a litteral invulnerability but rather boasting and philosophical shitz.
It shows on the next page that he just felt pain, not that he was hurt. The second states that he has to have his Immortality refined out of him to be reduced to ash. The Great Way is not philosophical and had real abilities and powers
Misread this. Removed
His hairs were burned off he himself was fine. Plus the Gods utilizing Fire and Thunder could not harm him during his execution.
Removed
Resistance to Power Nullification (The Dharma exists as the Buddha's Teachings, to get rid of it you would need to get rid of every Dharma Bodied Buddha and The Dharmakaya as it encompasses all of Buddhism.)
How does it prevent someone from just cancelling your attacks and stuff...
Misunderstood, nvm.
Resistance to Information Analysis (The Dharma is extremely difficult to comprehend, with those who follow it unable to tell its limits and even Bodhisattvas unable to fathom its source (The Dharmakaya). This of course means ordinary people would be perplexed if they tried to understand its depths.)
It's not a Resistance to being analysed. Understanding a being that breaks the Square Cube Law or how Time truly works is also extremely difficult, yet both don't give any resistance to Information Analysis.
Fair enough.
Resistance to BFR (Being Nigh-Omnipresent with The Dharma makes them near impossible to BFR.)
That's just their sheer scale, not a Resistance to being moved.
Again fair.
Teleportation (Through Buddha-Nature you simply arrive at places, with no need to travel. Spiritual Mountain in this case being Tathagata's Pure Land.)
Isn't this just their Omnipresence though?
Not only Buddha's have Buddha-Nature
Removed, constantly sneaks around via transformations.

The Underworld exists an entire Universe away and Heaven exists on top of the cosmos, seems a bit much for Enhanced Senses
"half of it"
IF he is capable of 72 Transformations that means he has 72 Lives. Sun Wukong is capable of Infinite Transformations.
I'm pretty sure it is constantly said that he only has 72. Not only is it a recurring thing with a clear symbolism, but iirc even the Sage who teached him gave him a choice between an art with idkhowmanytransformations and the one he chose with the 72.
What should it be?
Biological Manip I guess.
It shows on the next page that he just felt pain, not that he was hurt. The second states that he has to have his Immortality refined out of him to be reduced to ash. The Great Way is not philosophical and had real abilities and powers
Can you send more of this scan? Even if he hasn't been damaged, he still says he has been.
His hairs were burned off he himself was fine. Plus the Gods utilizing Fire and Thunder could not harm him during his execution.
His hairs are part of him. Also isn't the latter just the Gods being too weak and him being prepared, as he says in the scan to explain his previous encounter with fire shitz?

"half of it"
No, they are separated by a gap as wide as Heaven, and Heaven contains every Heavenly Body including Galaxies. In other translations it just straight up says, separated by a Universe worth of distance.
I'm pretty sure it is constantly said that he only has 72. Not only is it a recurring thing with a clear symbolism, but iirc even the Sage who teached him gave him a choice between an art with idkhowmanytransformations and the one he chose with the 72.
Seventy-Two Transformations is the name, but he has Infinite Transformations. It's stated way too many times. I can find more if need be.
Biological Manip I guess.
K
Can you send more of this scan? Even if he hasn't been damaged, he still says he has been.
Sure, but does feeling pain mean you are not invulnerable?
His hairs are part of him. Also isn't the latter just the Gods being too weak and him being prepared, as he says in the scan to explain his previous encounter with fire shitz?
He states it right here he can not be hurt by fire. He didn't protect his body with magic so his hairs burnt, but he was still unharmed.

No, they are separated by a gap as wide as Heaven, and Heaven contains every Heavenly Body including Galaxies. In other translations it just straight up says, separated by a Universe worth of distance.
Read my initial complaint again. That's not what I'm referring to.
Seventy-Two Transformations is the name, but he has Infinite Transformations. It's stated way too many times. I can find more if need be.
It isn't the name. It clearly is used to refer to the number he has access too, which is stated just as many, if not way more than "boundless" (with JTTW being prone to use this word for anything and everything).

"Very well then," the Patriarch said, "which would you prefer to learn: the thirty−six heavenly transformations or the seventy−two earthly ones?"

"Your disciple wants to get as much out of it as he can, so I would like to learn the seventy−two earthly ones."

"If that's what you want," the Patriarch replied, "come here and I'll teach you the spells." Thereupon he whispered into Sun Wukong's ear, and who knows what miraculous spells he taught him? The Monkey King was the sort of person who understands everything once he is told a tiny part, and he learned the spells on the spot. He practiced and trained until he had mastered all seventy−two transformations. One day the Patriarch and all his disciples were enjoying the sunset outside the Three Stars Cave.

Also the fact that seventy-two is a key and recurring number which appear at very least 30 times in the story clearly indicates which is the most reliable.
Sure, but does feeling pain mean you are not invulnerable?
The context makes it different from the bit you took. You should include the whole scan.
He states it right here he can not be hurt by fire. He didn't protect his body with magic so his hairs burnt, but he was still unharmed.
And the scan where his hairs are burnt flat out calls that claim boasting.

Read my initial complaint again. That's not what I'm referring to.
My bad.
It isn't the name. It clearly is used to refer to the number he has access too, which is stated just as many, if not way more than "boundless" (with JTTW being prone to use this word for anything and everything).
That makes no sense, he can transform into trees, animals, buildings, AND specific people. Why would 72-Transformations include specific and random people?
The context makes it different from the bit you took. You should include the whole scan.
My bad
Fire Resistance doesn't mean you are immune to Fire, it means you are resistant. He has shown he is resistant to fire, and he was unharmed even if SOME of his hairs were burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back