• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

JoJo: Issue with FTL Justifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
This blog uses a scan from Stone Ocean supposedly stating that Star Platinum surpasses the speed of light. I've discovered during discussions on another forum that this is actually a mistranslated; the word that was translated to "speed of light" actually more closely means "extremely fast".

Here is the image linked on Arbitrary's blog post:

5b4fc107ac51d694584e33d9a7610e13
Here's the later revised and official version of this page, with no mention of surpassing light speed:

06852c1180fb393f8571f3153698f51e

I suspect the former might be a fan translation, although I'm not certain where the scan was sourced.

This doesn't really debunk FTL JoJo as a whole, but I'd rather our explanation of why we rate JoJo as FTL use accurate/official scans.

I'm all for being accurate with official scans and all, but I'd like to know: What is the mistranslated term in the original Japanese?

Very well, I propose a "contrary to popular belief"-type of note in Jotaro's profile to inform this. Also the speed scaling in Stone Ocean just becomes a mess now, there is not evidence of this old Jotaro being as fast as before and everyone was scaling to his Stand.

Imaginym said:
What is the mistranslated term in the original Japanese?
I think this post I found explains it:

It is my completely amateur understanding that while the Japanese Rōma ji for "high speed" and "speed of light" is identical (kōsoku), the Kanji are different.
Ú½ÿÚǃ
high speed
ÕàëÚǃ
speed of light"

tfw people are expecting shit to go down when I'm asking for one scan to be removed from the blog, with no actual changes to the ratings

Dargoo Faust said:
Imaginym said:
What is the mistranslated term in the original Japanese?
I think this post I found explains it:
It is my completely amateur understanding that while the Japanese Rōma ji for "high speed" and "speed of light" is identical (kōsoku), the Kanji are different.
Ú½ÿÚǃ
high speed
ÕàëÚǃ
speed of light"
Ah, thank you. Let's look 'em up.

Ú½ÿÚǃ:

1. (adj-na, , adj-no) high speed; high gear
  2. highway; freeway; expressway; motorway
  1. high speed
  2. (colloquial) highway (abbrev. of Ú½ÿÚǃÚüôÞÀ»)
Meanings of the first character of the term: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ú½ÿ Tall, high, maximum, the limit.

(n, n-suf) quantity; amount; volume; number; amount of money(suf)

1. (suf) High (abbreviation of "High School" following a school's name) ÔåÆRelated words: Ú½ÿþ¡ëÕ¡ªµáí
  2. (pref) high- ÔåÆRelated words: Ú½ÿÒâ¼ÒâÖÒâ½
Meanings of the second character of the term: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Úǃ Fast, speedy.

(suf) gear; speed (as in 4 speed automatic transmission and such)

Õàë is the Kanji for "light" obviously. It has like, 16 different definitions in Japanese on Wiktionary.

ÕàëÚǃ is defined as "speed of light" .

So yeah. If it was Ú½ÿÚǃ, rather than ÕàëÚǃ, I am quite certain translating Ú½ÿÚǃ as "speed of light" was an error.

Hopefully this helps, sorry for any bother.

Numbers isn't on that often but yeah this would make sense to out

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!

Jokes aside based on Imaginym and the original op this seems like a clear case of mistranslation . We'll need another scan to link in the blog/profile.

FTL Jotaro
Here's another FTL Jotaro statement to replace that one I guess then.
Also just scale him off Polnareff, he has two FTL feats and SP fought an amped Chariot with drastically boosted speed, or the Hanged Man, he's stated faster then that thing as well and it's literally a beam of light.

SPTW1 Stat
Here's the original Japanese if anyone is interested.

About Hanged Man, its likely that the error was made in translation for him too and both times Pol managed to tag him he flat out said that he needed to be in position beforehand and had to predict where Hanged Man was going to be and what his trajectory would be as he couldnt perceive him

The original japanese for that scan you posted would be appreciated

Is this a good time to say that I have always disagreed on SC's second FTL feat?

I'm not gonna argue the translation error part because it's possible but.

he flat out said that he needed to be in position beforehand and had to predict where Hanged Man was going to be and what his trajectory would be as he couldnt perceive him

Polnareff's actions contradict his own wording.He said it's too fast and he can't percieve it but straight up sees it and blitz him mid transition with SC.

Except the Stand itself managed to outpace it and slash it twice. And a obscure tidbit about Pol and his Stand, he cant see via his Stand like most Users can, it makes sense he would have to aim dodge it but that doesnt change the fact his Stand is outright much faster then the Hanged Man and SP is outright faster then it as well and an amped Chariot.

Oh and fyi, I re-read the OP. Those two bios arent the same thing but re-translated. It's two completely different Stand stats from different chapters.

https://********.org/chapter/65179/1 Stand Bio 1, happened in Made In Heaven Part 2.

https://********.org/chapter/60122/1 Stand Bio 2 happened in The Visitor Part 9.

@Chariot190

Was about to bring that up. I remember seeing 2 Star Platnium stat pages in Stone Ocean but thought I was just misremembering

Nope, it's not that it's a mistranslation, it's that it's just two completely different bios, one at the start of the part and one at the end.

His stats change slightly as well, Staying goes from A to E (probably due to Jotaro's coma or the Staying is now talking about his Time Stop length being small, only 5 seconds) and his Learning goes from complete to C.

Other FTL and rel feats include Josuke restoring Okuyasu before the lightspeed Chili Pepper coud move 100 meters or so (the nearest powerline was that far), Caesar reacting to light bouncing off bubbles, Chili and Hanged Man's lightspeed statements (which SP scales off), Kars reacting to UV light, Joseph and Caesar jumping a laser (only rel though), Weather has a lowkey rel feat, maybe higher.

Edit: FTL SP may be mentioned in JOJO-A-GO-GO as well although it may be a copy pasta of the manga FTL Bio.

Chariot190 said:
Except the Stand itself managed to outpace it and slash it twice. And a obscure tidbit about Pol and his Stand, he cant see via his Stand like most Users can, it makes sense he would have to aim dodge it but that doesnt change the fact his Stand is outright much faster then the Hanged Man and SP is outright faster then it as well and an amped Chariot.
I don't know if this is in response to me or Weekly, but I'm not proposing to remove the Chariot feats or re-evaluate them, I'm mostly just concerned with the single scan from Part 6.

Chariot190 said:
Oh and fyi, I re-read the OP. Those two bios arent the same thing but re-translated. It's two completely different Stand stats from different chapters.
Ah, my mistake, then. Figures that happens when I take another forum's posts in good faith.

Out of curiosity, do you have the non-translated version of the Stand Bio 2 so I can make sure it matches "light speed" and not "high speed"?

"It surpasses the speed of light by sheer fast speed, at it's peak (18 year old) for 5 seconds, it managed to stop time of this world. Additionally, it's coordinative reactions and speed is incredible. It is the ultimate, invincible stand ability."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back