• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"It's some kinda Thing, Joseph. Some horrible Thing."

This thread was made possible by the user ProfessorLord and contibutions from readers like you. Thank you.

So far the Thing has fought video game charactes and other horror movie monsters.

Similar life wiping plauges and the Singular repersentation of all mankind's achivments. Let's see how it does against a popular manga character. I've been told Hamon can resist the Thing's assimilation so this should be fun (hopefully).

The fight takes place in a remote Himalayan village. The Thing, shaped as a normal person, arrived just an hour before Joseph. We're looking at Part 2, Post-training Joseph (unless of course that causes problems). As Joseph arrives, the Thing has divided and hidden itself amongst the huts. Speed Equalized, victory via whatever means work at all. I think that's it. Let me know if I need to change anything.

John Carpenter's The Thing

Joseph Joestar

Full body hamon is something Joseph has on almost all the time. If the Thing manages to touch him, it is either prevented from absorbing him, or straight up dies depending on whether Joseph is aware of it attacking.

To be fair, his Hamon would have to be killing it at the cellular level to fully protect him from being assimalted. A single cell gets through and it's over.

That put, IDK how its weakness to fire would apply to Hamon.

Regardless, the assimalation is automatic and it would lose a mind on the cellular level.

Jonathan mind controlled Doobie's snakes into killing him, and Caesar has also demonstrated such mind hax. If you touch a Hamon charged person, he has plenty of options to use. Also, Hamon has protected users from assimilation and absorption from vampires, zombies and pillar men, so it will at least prevent that. Unlike those guys, the Thing will not disintegrate tho.

I mean, absorption is different from biological assimilation. Especially on the cellular level.

I'm actually real curious how mindhax would effect the Thing. I honestly think it should have some kinda resistance to it but I don't have any near enough proof to prove it. Just threoies.

ApiesDeathbyLazors said:
I'm actually real curious how mindhax would effect the Thing. I honestly think it should have some kinda resistance to it but I don't have any near enough proof to prove it. Just threoies.
Replied to that.

Hamon can be used to reject the Thing from absorbing Joseph, so there's that.

You mentioned that there were huts in the Himalayas, right? There should be fireplaces which Joseph can exploit to kill it, since it is a cold place. Joseph's first encounter with the Thing will involve it trying to absorb him, only to countered by Hamon. Joseph will try numerous methods to kill it and with his supergenius wit, he'll realize that Hamon can't work on it and try to lure it to a fire, killing the Thing once and for all. Joseph wins.

It's not absorption. It's esentially biological manipulation on the cellular level. I don't remember any Part 1/2 characters who could do anything remotely close to that.

Yeah, on the page its labelled as Parasitic Possession. Joseph hasn't resisted that before, nor has Hamon repelled that outside of things which are susceptible to hamon. And last time I checked, Hamon doesn't operate on the cellular level.

@Dargoo It is actually absorption, the skin of Pillar Men release a powerful acid which dissolves biological matter than they then absorb. Hamon protects them from it.

Again, what the Thing does is not absorption.

It's bio manip. The Thing is, cell by cell, transforming his body into something different. It doesn't even say absorption on the profile.

What Esidisi does is not on the cellular level, and he's weak to Hamon by nature.

I ask again when Hamon has repelled biological manipulation on the cellular level.

ProfessorLord said:
Hamon actively resists cellular enzymes which instantly digest flesh on contact, so physical contact isn't going to be an issue.
A direct quote for ProfessorLord when I asked him for a JoJo matchup. I have no idea how acurate that would be though. As for the Thing, I would what the Thing does cellular level absorbson, considering Thing cell devour and then copy other cells. I could be wrong and that's not quite what absorbtion is, but that is exactly what happens when the Thing assimitaltes another organisim.

Alright boys I'm finally here.

I am not even 100% sure how hamon protects from the Pillar Men absorption, but according to the JoJo wikia the cells of ripple users can "perceive the danger posed by their (pillar men) energy". It doesn't sound right to me but I get the general idea. Pillar Men release an acid on contact that can digest the cells of others, hamon prevents the cellular level attack.

I've watched The Thing like once and I was kind of confused so bare with me as his profile is not in-depth enough. How does his assimilation work? He touches a target and instantly attaches himself to them? He eats them on a cellular level? I need to know more about his ability.

Hamon mindhax is more physical than mental. It literally disrupts the brain and controls it on behalf of the ripple user's attack/command. Jonathan punches Wang-Chan, he is now compelled to throw himself into the boat mechanism and cause it to explode. That's it.

ProfessorLord said:
Alright boys I'm finally here.
I've watched The Thing like once and I was kind of confused so bare with me as his profile is not in-depth enough. How does his assimilation work? He touches a target and instantly attaches himself to them? He eats them on a cellular level? I need to know more about his ability.
https://imgur.com/a/ZSRAuVB

Yeah, as the nature of Pillar Men absorption is cellular level, he's got his defences up against cellular level attacks. The Thing won't be getting in.

That raises more questions than answers for me, I don't understand what's going on. That's why I asked for an explanation in words.

ProfessorLord said:
That raises more questions than answers for me, I don't understand what's going on. That's why I asked for an explanation in words.
I've explained this once here already, but I'll try go a little more indepth.

Thing cells are programed to hunt down and devour the cells of other living organisims. I wish I had a clip form the 2011 movie, cause it shows it in much more detail, but both the 2011 and 1989 films seem to depict Thing cells penetrating other cells and consuming the metireal inside. Physical contact is all the Thing need to begin assimilation.

Well perfect, because hamon itself has completely negated a cellular level attack from an 8-B character. It's way of durability negation is not applied to Joseph, because he can resist the dura-negation.

As Joseph arrives, the Thing has divided and hidden itself amongst the huts.

Doesn't Joseph have to activate Hamon to resist the absorbtion? If he's getting assimalated without realizing it he's gone for.

Post-Training Joseph has worn a mask that forces the user to create hamon for so long that he now does it out of habit. He is always activating hamon.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks again.

So, this is likely a stomp, seeing as the Thing can't do jack to Joseph if it can't get past the passive Hamon.

So Joseph can resist assimilation? Can he actually put the Thing down for good? He would need to destroy every single cell.

If his mindhax operates on the body as opposed to mind, then when it decides to try and stealth him he just incapacitates it.

It doesn't have a way to win, and Joseph has several ways to win, which is pretty much a stomp.

It has an intelligence that scales with how large it is. It can outsmart humans when as large as a dog.

The cells it is made of are Mindless like most other microbes.

If it has a brain as an organ, it can likely be mindhaxed by hamon.

If it lacks one and instead runs only on instinct/stimulation, then I doubt hamon can mindhax it.

Back