• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Issues with Canon Composites and levels of Canon

Alright, I'm starting to get lost on this thread. We aren't getting rid of composite profiles as Dragon said.

If we had a page for the first character we would put it as Explosion Manipulation, while Energy Projection for the second. So, if we composite the characters, we end up with both. That's what a Composite is.

If we want to keep only one ability, then we take the primary canon and ignore the other, but then you're not doing a Composite anymore.

You can't just follow the standard procedure in every single situation and not expect any problems. This doesn't address anything about how logical it is to actually fuse abilities like this, it just asserts we do the same thing as a normal situation of compositing because you're compositing here too, ignoring any actual context

You don't have to follow such a strict definition of composite that using a single version of a specific technique over others suddenly means you are no longer a composite, even if you still fusing multiple incarnations regardless

To be honest, I'm not a big expert on Digimon, so I'm not sure about the problem. If it's not an outlier in the book, the that's because Yggdrasil is portrayed as being weaker in the books but got retconnected later? I'd need a bit of context here. If it's a single more powerful than usual Megadramon, then he would probably get a page on its own and/or it's an outlier for the specie.

I honestly don't understand why we're making it such a big deal. If we take everything, contradictions don't matter and we add everything and obtain a Composite.

If we want to take contradictions and try to solve them, we use the already established canon hierarchy.

Yggdrasil is never mentioned by name. Only through other sources are given context to be able to put Yggdrasil's name in the meaning of "Host Computer" or "God". Yes, when Megadramon was initially created, Yggdrasil wasn't known to the franchise. But this statement has continued to persist even in the modern day when it is blatantly contradicted in every media. And does not refer to just the one character, but the species in general.

We aren't making it a big deal. My proposal is in essence very simple. It becomes a big deal when you all start to disagree with it and thus a debate and discussion starts. Contradictions do in fact matter when dealing with composites as we cannot have inconsistencies.

You know, I can accept that. However, I don't agree with us treating the primary source as something that cannot be questioned in a composite scenario.

The games should have priority over than manga and anime because they are directory made by game freak, while the other two are make by second party companies iirc

Still waiting for someone to mention how the highest primary source of them all, the pokedex, makes pokemon supersonic at most and that higher ratings come from either game animations or other secondary sources.

PaChi2 said:
Still waiting for someone to mention how the highest primary source of them all, the pokedex, makes pokemon supersonic at most and that higher ratings come from either game animations or other secondary sources.
You mean dex entries that are talking about average skills. But sure, lets treat it as "at most".

Overlord775 said:
The games should have priority over than manga and anime because they are directory made by game freak, while the other two are make by second party companies iirc
Gamefreak is merely a part of the Pokemon Company which handles everything from the anime, games, manga, etc.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I have been trying to simplify my argument multiple times and people are still not understanding.
-This only effects Composite files. Naruto, Bleach, etc are irrelevant here as they are not composites.

I am of two minds with Composite files.

-There should be no canon hierarchy when doing a composite file as all sources should be used equally and question equally. A composite continuity is putting everything as one. There should be no hierarchy as everything is now one entire beast.

-If we decide to keep this hierarchy, then the "primary" source should not be considered infallible as supporting sources should be able to put the primary source into question if there are enough consistent contradictions.

Either one of these two gets my point across and equally gets rid the issue I have with composite files.
Once again...

You know what, I am deleting the reply I posted because at this point its still nothing but circular points and im sick and tired of this discussion now. I dunno why I posted it to begin with, but im deleting it.

You want to change how composite is treated? Do whatever you want. I have other things to deal with besides this and we've been at this for a lengthy period of time already, so I dont want anything to do with this discussion anymore. You want to make primary canon be questioned, go ahead. You want to argue amongst yourselves, go ahead. Im finished with this topic and continuing is only going to make me more annoyed and say things that i'll regret and feel bad about. Again.

We are both getting overly irritated over simple perspectives of how we should treat canon for composite profiles honestly. This is indeed going in circles as I have long stated. We are at a stalemate.

Well not anymore. Im taking any part I had in this discussion and throwing it out the window because I dont want any part of this anymore. I just woke up, and already this discussion's ruined my day.

So I don't care what the result comes here. Change it, keep it, whatever. You all can do whatever you want.

I don't know the point of contention here, tbh.

Dragon's points make sense to me. STRICTLY SPEAKING ABOUT COMPOSITE PROFILES SUCH AS GODZILLA (COMPOSITE), ALL CANONS SHOULD BE TREATED EQUALLY WHEN CONSIDERING THE ABILITIES OF THE PROFILE, OTHERWISE WHY SHOULD A COMPOSITE PROFILE EVEN EXIST?

did i make it clear i wasn't talking about specific verses

Just curious, how is this issue going to affect this profile: Hero of Lore (Composite)? ... because it's probably the most janky composite profile on the fandom as of now and I have my reasons for why it would be.

Also, I'm neutral

DnW0 said:
Just curious, how is this issue going to affect this profile: Hero of Lore (Composite)? ... because it's probably the most janky composite profile on the fandom as of now and I have my reasons for why it would be.

Also, I'm neutral
I know someone who wanted to make a CRT for that quite a while ago due to its composite nature and the way its made, but I am not sure what happened to that

@DnW0

The AQverse in general needs some work. I haven't forgotten about it, but there's a lot of verses I'm working on.

So has a conclusion been reached here, and if so, does somebody have a suggestion for a new regulation text?

Seems to me that the majority is in agreement with the OP.

Okay. We need a new regulation text though.

That much will be on a different discussion overall. I'll make a thread for that later.

I am honestly not the best at writing regulations (which is rich coming from the one who made the thread), so....yeah...

Well, I am pretty good at restructuring existing texts for better language flow, so I might be able to help with that at least.

I still agree with Dragon here.

Compositing stuff that isn't canon is honestly just an old habit we haven't rid ourselves of yet, one of the "we do this because, uh, we do this" things. It, as Dragon has explained, has developed into geniune issues with the materials we catalogue, and I don't see why sources have to actively contradict each other to be "proven" non-canon. In reality, canonicty should be proven first for alternative matierals; something that is made very clear on our Cano page, something which isn't done much in practice.

I'm personally very glad issues like this are making it into the limelight; there's many prevailing issues with VSBW at its core that are getting an honest look, which gives me hope for the site's development in the future. The first step towards progress is realizing there's a problem to begin with, after all.

I still think compositing characters is done too much even when it's explicitly explained, but that's an issue for another thread.

So is somebody willing to write a draft for a regulation text?

Sorry for the quality as I am doing this on my phone as my laptop is taking forever to update...

When compositing a character it is to be generally assumed that all sources are equally canon and as such can be used to contradict each other. Only when there is equal consistency for both supoorting and contradicting evidence will a canon hierarchy be issued and the primary source take absolute priority.
Not the best, but maybe you all can work on it.

Wait, I thought the thread was just about canon composites but not composite profiles in general where non-cannon sources looks to be fair games for profile creation.

Back