• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is Toneri's Moon cutting attack that impressive?

I need to talk about this since people always jump at the conclusion that "Moon Cutter = Multy continent attack" however I disagree, here's why: (BTW, Spoilers for The Last Naruto movie)

Toneri takes Hinata with him and Naruto chases after them, after that Toneri procedes to take away all of Naruto's chakra (Which BTW I have more to talk about that) and blow up the floor (because reasons) and we can see the actual thickness of the moon.

Vlcsnap-2015-09-24-16h41m44s154
If we stretch it a lot to say that it's 1.000m thick then that means Toneri's attack should've cut 2.000m of stone (a little more at the start and end) to be able to cut the moon. That's even less than the average mountain.

The only impressive part of the attack is the range, not the strength.

1.The moon in naruto has enough gravity to sustain an earth like atmosphere, which would mean it has more mass than the real life moon,so even if it is almost fully hollow it should be super dense ,thus making it harder to cut.

2.We don't know how hollow the moon is ,and saying it's only 2 km is a joke.

3.This has been already discussed a couple of times.

There's an explanation: Kishimoto sucks at physics...he's actually admitted this on an interview before. I'll try to find a link.

Kkapoios said:
1.The moon in naruto has enough gravity to sustain an earth like atmosphere, which would mean it has more mass than the real life moon,so even if it is almost fully hollow it should be super dense ,thus making it harder to cut.

That can be associated with lolfiction, and the rocks are not denser than normal rock, it comes from earth itself afterall.

it's the same reason why the moon went back to it's original place when it should have continued going towards earth because of gravity

2.We don't know how hollow the moon is ,and saying it's only 2 km is a joke.

while i disagree on it being only 2 km, the moon being full is the real joke here. we actually see what part of it is terraformed in the image above, which only looks like the crust so where ever they are on the moon, it has to be directly connected to the crust. we also know that the ocean is warped, which means the hollowed part, which extends to the crust, is a sphere and the fake sun is the center of that sphere, which also happens to be the center of the moon. if you connect the dots, that's evidence that the moon is hollow and all that is left is the crust.

The rocks may have been compressed due to the gravity,

Kishimoto not knowing physics has nothing to do with the feat, going by this most feats should not be accepted since almost no author has basic knowledge of it.

He wanted the moon to be cut,that means something (even if a part of the moon is hollow)

uh huh okay tell me why the moon went back to his original orbit then

and the last bit of your post is nonesense. you don't know what the author wanted,

Minority World said:
I thought the moon splitting feat was multi continental.
the calc assumes the moon isn't hollow and the cut is 50km wide when other parts of the movie shows the cut being a few meters

it depends.

a 15 meterc cut and the moon being hollow makes it 1.9 gigatons. (19 teratons if the moon isn't hollow)

a 50km cut and the moon being hollow makes it 60 teratons. (600 petatons if the moon isn't hollow)

The calc doesn't say it was cut 50 km it says that the jutsu seperated the two halves thus changing the total gravitational binding energy of the moon, the 600 petatons is the difference between the gbe of full moon minus the gbe of the cut moon.

I am no fan of Naruto series but we're nitpicking too much. Most comic book authors know jackshit about physics and science. They're good artist and story tellers, nothing more. Most star level+ feats would be unquantifiable if we apply real physics into the calc.

http://i.imgur.com/HiIQ5X1.jpg

Ōtsutsuki Toneri

Heading: As the last survivor of the Ōtsutsuki Clan, he will fulfill their thousand year vow.

The Ōtsutsuki Clan settled on the surface of the moon in order to guard the Gedō Statue sealed within it. Toneri is their last surviving descendant. Fostered by solitude and darkness, he sets into motion a plan to drop the moon on the Earth in order to fulfill the vow of his ancestors who were consumed by darkness. He then departs to find a bride with whom he can walk the world after the destruction of mankind.

Ôåæ Toneri was born without eyes. These were transplanted from Hanabi.

ÔåÆ The traditional wedding attire of the Ōtsutsuki Clan. Fabric is tied around his head like a turban.

 Taking control of Hanabi's Byakugan. This is known as Tenseigan Chakra Mode.

So much for the whole moon being hollow lol. They only settled on the surface. I do believe Toneri deserves a upgrade though.

you know that doesn't actually make sense right? they were inside the moon lol. it's dumb to actually argue against that.

This is a mistranslation

SephIIIroth said:
how can they be on the surface but inside the moon? that doesn't make sense dude, lol.
They were inside the Moon but they only hollowed out the surface interior in order to make their home. This proves that the Moon wasn't as hollow as people claim. And when you consider the fact Hamura was on the surface of the Moon, it all makes sense.

Then explain this? If they were in the middle of the Moon like you've been saying, why is it curved like that? That's not how it would look if the whole Moon was hollowed out lol. Face it man. That image alone shows that the whole Moon wasn't hollow. They hollowed out just enough space to start their village.

DC52 said:
Sigh, not this again
Six Paths Chibaku Tensei is used to seal the Jyuubi into the core of the moo. Hamura & The Otsutsuki's stood guard at the sealed Jyuubi Husk, the dead center of the moo. This implies that AT LEAST, Hamura hollowed out the core which the Jyuubi was sealed into.

The core of the moon is only about 10% of the moon
Moon
again, this is exactly why the moon is hollow -_- care to read my first post? if you didn't understand it let me know so i can reword it somehow

btw fixed

well i read the discussions and nobody actually presented the evidence that i'm presenting right now, they all went with the "nah it's obviously hollow" argument so ofcourse no one will actually pay them any thought

Back