• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is this Smaug calc usable?

Okay, I did notice the difference since the beginning and was confused about why that was called the longest root, I thought Hagane was using another root to get their distance, their calc has changed as it was using a different image before.

@Hagane_no_Saiyajin Earthquakes propagate evenly through the surface, so I'm not sure why are you using a formula to get a longer distance, you should be using 9.09 kilometers instead.
Gotcha. I only mention it again to ask if your opinion has changed with that revelation. I can edit my calc to use your measured length of the actual longest root, though I don't think it will terribly change the final result.

I can edit my calc to use your measured length of the actual longest root, though I don't think it will terribly change the final result.
That would be appreciated, even if it doesn't change the result that much.

And various question for Hagane, you used this formula "sqrt(1.75^2+2*(8.80859029787234)^2)" to get a distance of 12.57954792794800 kilometers, I assume this is a formula to obtain the length of inclined objects, but I'm not sure, could you explain that.
The line of logic I followed was that the mountain was a 3D object, so I had to get the distance from a 3D plane

But Smaug was inside the mountain at an unknown altitude when the shake happened, wasn't he? And the tremor waves would reach all corners of the mountain no matter where exactly he was.

But Smaug was inside the mountain at an unknown altitude when the shake happened, wasn't he?
Hence why I didn't multiple variations of the calc

Edit: It's not anymore than 3.5 km though, that is the canonical height of the mountain

Last edited:
Oh, right, totally forgot. I'll do that now, actually.

Might I need to edit the distance for my calc too?
But Smaug was inside the mountain at an unknown altitude when the shake happened, wasn't he? And the tremor waves would reach all corners of the mountain no matter where exactly he was.
Hence why I didn't multiple variations of the calc

Edit: It's not anymore than 3.5 km though, that is the canonical height of the mountain
bump

It seems like Hagane might still need some help from @Therefir before we close this thread.

As I said, the formula only takes the distance in a 2d plane, it's irrelevant where exactly was the epicenter height when it comes to surface earthquakes, as they spread evenly through the surface.

Not to mention mountains aren't perfect slopes, and Hagane hasn't explained where exactly did they got that formula and what it does, it just seems like a way to make the feat 7-C when the distance is simply not enough.

As I said, the formula only takes the distance in a 2d plane, it's irrelevant where exactly was the epicenter height when it comes to surface earthquakes, as they spread evenly through the surface.

Not to mention mountains aren't perfect slopes, and Hagane hasn't explained where exactly did they got that formula and what it does, it just seems like a way to make the feat 7-C when the distance is simply not enough.
Thank you for helping out.

@Hagane_no_Saiyajin

It isn't really a surface Earthquake were talking about now, if Smaug shook the Lonely Mountain, that simply means he literally shook the entire mass of the Lonely Mountain, not the surface of it

Okay then, just hope everyone don't mind keeping this thread open so I can make the calc, because getting the mass of the Lonely Mountain is going to be a pain in the butt because of its shape

No problem. I think that we can wait for a while.

They are completely different calcs now, I wouldn't call them versions.

But I would say your calc is more accurate to what Smaug was actually doing.

Back