• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is this Smaug calc usable?

I mean, it doesn't take into account the height of the mountain

Edit: Also, don't drawing from Tolkein himself count as official?

Also how far is Lake-Town from Smaug? Smaug seemed to be able to fly over there in a short time

Last edited:
You are measuring the "roots" of the mountain using height of the mountain itself, but those roots are much closer to the field of view than the mountain's peak, making the scaling unreliable.

You put "at least" instead of "At least" in his profile.

Did our calc group members ever state which of the accepted calculation blogs that is more reliable to use? That is also necessary before you use the new version.

Well, you should revert your changes to the Smaug page until our calc group members compare the accepted calculation blogs to each other.

Never mind. I handled reverting the edits.

Last edited:
Thank you. The speed calculation blog can probably be used then, but we preferably need a more specific result.

Also, our calc group members still need to decide which of the available calculations for Smaug's attack potency feat that seems most reliable.

@KLOL506 @Damage3245 @Armorchompy

Which of these calculation blogs do you think seem most reliable to use?

@KLOL506 @Damage3245 @Armorchompy @Therefir

I think that you commented in the calculation blogs or in this thread earlier.

Last edited:
Thank you. The speed calculation blog can probably be used then, but we preferably need a more specific result.

Also, our calc group members still need to decide which of the available calculations for Smaug's attack potency feat that seems most reliable.

@KLOL506 @Damage3245 @Armorchompy @Therefir

We still need some help here. 🙏

Last edited:

The third calc has already been replaced by the first, so it shouldn't be brought here.

That being said, I prefer Hagane's calc over Mr Bambu's, he could have used a longer mountain root but simply choose not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. Thank you for helping out. I will remove the third calculation then.

@KLOL506 @Damage3245 @Armorchompy @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Migue79 @Jasonsith @Dark-Carioca

Your help would be appreciated here.

@Executor_N0 @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Mr._Bambu @Therefir @DMUA @Damage3245 @DemonGodMitchAubin @Jasonsith @Wokistan @Armorchompy @Migue79 @Psychomaster35 @CloverDragon03 @KLOL506 @M3X_2.0 @Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment @Aguywhodoesthings

Would any of you be willing to help out here please?

Since Mr. Bambu made the original calc, perhaps they can comment on what they think about the newer version?

I'm not certain what Therefir means by a longer root. If he refers to the distance used, all three calcs use practically the same distance (my own calc, and the first one, simplify it down to "8.81 km", whereas Hagane's extends this to "8.80859029787234 km"). I'm uncertain what the basis of the critique is, therefore.

Question for both Mr. Bambu and Hagane, why use the 8.81 kilometers root when the right root is visible longer?

And various question for Hagane, you used this formula "sqrt(1.75^2+2*(8.80859029787234)^2)" to get a distance of 12.57954792794800 kilometers, I assume this is a formula to obtain the length of inclined objects, but I'm not sure, could you explain that.

And tell me, if you got 12.57 kilometers using that formula why did you used 10.2680921 kilometers to get the magnitude of the earthquake at the epicenter?

A difference of ~0.3 km is not what I'd call "visibly longer". That said, the answer to your question is simple enough that I strongly suspect you know it, or can at least guess- the first calc said something to the effect of "I'm going to use the longest root, I declare this one the longest", and so I used it. I presume you have realized that I used the same distance as Hagane, at least.

Okay, I did notice the difference since the beginning and was confused about why that was called the longest root, I thought Hagane was using another root to get their distance, their calc has changed as it was using a different image before.

@Hagane_no_Saiyajin Earthquakes propagate evenly through the surface, so I'm not sure why are you using a formula to get a longer distance, you should be using 9.09 kilometers instead.

Back