• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is Molting Really Regeneration?

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
I dunno. I've seen many profiles that say "Regeneration (Low-Mid via Molting)," but sincerely think that molting was blown out of proportion. Last I checked, molting wasn't in any shape or form regeneration; in fact, it's really just creatures shedding their skin most of the time, with one exception I can think of being dragonflies, which essentially use molting as a metamorphosis. I think it's farfetched to call it regeneration or even healing for that matter. In any case, here's what molting is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulting

Think someone can re-examine this?

Last edited:
I agree that molting isn't regeneration in that way.

Molting should just be detailed on how far it goes. By default it's either Low regen or self-Healing.

Mantis shrimp can regrow limbs thru molting, but I don't feel like looking into every animal that molts to confirm all of them.

Well, it can be higher on some cases, but to assume the highest end with no justification whatsoever isn't reliable at all.

Well, to assume a power to a character only from its species is only to be considered if either the setting is "realistic" enought to consider that or there's explicit feats for it.

Oh yeah, Mantis case it would be regeneration. But I don't think typical skin shedding is regeneration.

It can replace scar tissue, and skin infection. That said, this is more of a long-term self-healing property than regeneration as typically imagined

Back