• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Iron Man speed downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's probably annoying for me to make this thread right after Iron Man's speed is changed but...

1. When the guidebook says Tony has human-level speed, I think it obivously means that almost literally. Yes, characters like Mr Fantastic are rated that despite being a bit higher, but in Tony Stark's case a subsonic rating just seems absurd. He's shown NOTHING of this level before in his human body. He'd be peak human at best due to his martial arts training. If a character like Mary Jane was put in the handbook as human level, would we also claim she's subsonic? Cause she'd be fitting the same criteria.

2. His sub-relativistic+ movement speed seems to imply he fights far faster and can blitz the marvel characters with massively hypersonic movement speed (eg. Thor, Sentry etc.) when in the comics, this is hardly the case. I don't think it's fair for a character to have a higher stat than those who are generally seen as equals to him just because he doesn't have a set classification in the handbooks. We are very strict with characters who have a handbook classification and limit them to be compared to others (even if they show higher feats). But when it come to charactes who don't have a proper handbook classification we simply throw out arms up and give them whatever narutoforums feat we can find. This is unfair and gives the impression that certain characters are WAY faster than others when they rarely are.

EDIT: Oh, and if Iron Man's supersonic flight speed in the handbooks translates as relativistic, does that mean that other characters with supersonic flight speed in the handbooks are also relativistic?

I'm not the biggest comic buff, but I can address a couple of these points myself.

1) I remember (but can't find) clips where Iron Man regularly spars with Captain America to improve his technique, with the latter saying that he's improving. Naturally, while Cap was obviously going easy on Tony, for him to put up a fight at all makes his current rating more plausible. Plus, we've used the Marvel handbook to scale every major character in the franchise, so it'd be kind of silly to make exceptions for individual characters.

2) His Sub-Relativistic movement speed was calced and was not achieved through power-scaling. Thus it doesn't really scale to anyone since it was a rather singular feat. Plus, we have rules for Marvel and DC power-scaling due to the existence of endless lists of outliers.

3) Obviously not.

Again, I'm not a comic expert by any means, so if anyone else would like to chip in it'd be appreciated.

I am pretty convinced that we rate most Marvel characters as having far too high speed levels in relation to their regular showings.

However, in lack of better options, we go by their highest feats and scale identically rated characters from that.

I wish that we could find more accurate means to rate them, but I cannot think of any, given that Marvel is the king of inconsistency in general.

It would also create an uproar regarding our supposed bias if we downgraded them.

Sub-rel+ is Tony's own calced feat. Thor's own calced feat which is FTL+. Spidey has Relativistic spider sense.

Doesn't seem so wrong to me. Besides, Marvel is the textbook definition of inconsistent so as Ant said, we went by their highest feat that is not horrible PIS or something.

EDIT: I remember there being a calc somewhere for a subsonic normal human. As in absolutely normal with no powers, training or what not. But that's just me saying stuff.

Don't forget that Silver Surfer also has an FTL feat as well, Gemmysaur. But i already get what you mean about it anyways so....

And what Ant and Gemmy said above as well, i suppose...

CrossverseCrisis said:
Don't forget that Silver Surfer also has an FTL feat as well, Gemmysaur
Oh, I never bothered to add him to the above 3 I gave as examples since he is pretty much a standard at FTL in vs forums. But yeah, FTL(+ right?) Surfer.

Surfer is only on the high end of FTL. Not enough to get FTL+ but he's kind of around that range (like around 7c speed range, to be exact)...

CrossverseCrisis said:
Surfer is only on the high end of FTL. Not enough to get FTL+ but he's kind of around that range (like around 7c speed range, to be exact)...
Close enough I guess but I always thought Surfer was faster than Thor. Or was it only in flight?

Nah, not really. Surfer's calc'd feat that Xcano did got him at around 7c. Thor's calc'd feat that we have him at FTL+ (about 14c, give or take) was done by Endless Mike. Though EM recently did another Thor speed calc that got him at 4.4c, so if we use that then Surfer would have been the fastest out of those specific two so.....yeah.

Anyways back onto here. Do we need to keep this open a bit longer or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back