• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Invincible season 1 amazon tv show discussion

The calc is wrong considering they overcame the Gravitational Binding Energy of the planet, they didn't pulverize it or fragmentize it. Overcoming the GBE of planet the size of Earth is what got the baseline point for Planet level, Viltrum planet has a higher gravitational pull than earth. Meaning if accounted would yield a higher result than baseline Planet level.

The calc is wrong considering they overcame the Gravitational Binding Energy of the planet, they didn't pulverize it or fragmentize it. Overcoming the GBE of planet the size of Earth is what got the baseline point for Planet level, Viltrum planet has a higher gravitational pull than earth. Meaning if accounted would yield a higher result than baseline Planet level.
That's what the current calc is tho.

The core was destabilized, not the planet. An unstable core has an overtime effect on a planet and does not mean that the planet gets easy to bust.
To be fair, in context the core being destabilized is what allowed them to perform the feat in the first place. It's even said they would have died if not for the extra help.
Does it make sense? Not really, but it be like it do.

To be fair, in context the core being destabilized is what allowed them to perform the feat in the first place. It's even said they would have died if not for the extra help.
Does it make sense? Not really, but it be like it do.
An unstable core doesn't mean a weakened GBE of the planet, google it up.

The calc entirely forgets about the Kinetic energy, and gravitational binding energy doesn't change from core instability, no. Unless it somehow lowers the mass and thus how tightly bound the planet's component's are.

The calc entirely forgets about the Kinetic energy, and gravitational binding energy doesn't change from core instability, no. Unless it somehow lowers the mass and thus how tightly bound the planet's component's are.
Isn't it relevant that the characters claimed that they wouldn't have been able to do it, & in fact, claimed they would have died trying to perform for the feat, if not for the "help" in doing the feat the unstable core gave?

Last edited:
Which calc?

Alright, basic logic check here....what does the planet look like after this occurs? Is it totally shattered? Does it just have a hole through it?

... What?

That's not going to make any sense without context, can someone grab the pages where this stuff is stated?

Which means that it's a lot higher than High 6-A from fragmenting the material. Gravity on a planetary scale is just that strong, as is kinetic energy for moving massive chunks of a planet at around MHS speed.
This is clearly tier 5 without even needing a calc.

Honestly I'm not sure why the core being unstable has anything to do with blowing it up, unless it's like, unstable as in "Yottatons of TNT were lying dormant in the core of our planet for a second there"

But that's fiction for you so you could maybe just calculate the KE on them dive-bombing through the planet in the first place and leave it at that

From what I know, the accurate way to calc this is: (KE to shatter the planet)+(E to separate the chunks). The second term is pretty much GBE. The first term handles what you would need to do to put the planet in a state where you can separate it.

Think about it like heating ice to 30 Celcius. You add the terms for converting ice to water and the term for heating the now liquid water up to 30C to get the overall energy change.

Isn't it relevant that the characters claimed that they wouldn't have been able to do it, & in fact, died trying to perform for the feat, if not for the "help" in doing the feat the unstable core gave?
Yeah I agree
It doesn’t make sense scientifically but the intent is it’s a limitation.

Either we take the planet exploding into account, or we treat it as Thaddeus implies. A chain reaction core explosion that wouldn't scale to anyone. Which would make the High 6-A calc the only usable end.

Probably did actually, given the reason it was destabilized was because of a laserbeam that can shoot through anything. (The initial large explosion wasnt from them, it was the beam, they just followed after it)

So, do I have this right?:
1. The Planet Busting of Viltrum feat needs to take into account into how much mass was removed by the laser &....
2. The explosion from said laser, & the laser & its explosion is a separate feat from the aforementioned Planet Bust referred to in Point 1?

So, do I have this right?:
1. The Planet Busting of Viltrum feat needs to take into account into how much mass was removed by the laser &....
2. The explosion from said laser, & the laser & its explosion is a separate feat from the aforementioned Planet Bust referred to in Point 1?
The beam hit the planet first, they followed the beam, the beam destabilized the planet (though only for a brief moment). In that split second, the three plowed through the planet behind the beam, destroying it.

That's it, it makes zero ******* sense, but it be like it do.

The beam doesnt't actually explode, it caused an explosion in this instance (the black burst), but normally, the beam doesn't explode, it kept on going through the planet with them if I'm not mistaken, and I'm like 99% certain I'm not.

The feat is basically unquantifiable, we can just go "well its not planet level, but it's probably getting close to it" but that's honestly the best we can do. The High 6-A calc is nowhere near what they were actually doing, but the planet calc is way above what they were doing, somewhere in the middle.

gUquEZi.png

Maybe include that? That seems to be from them bursting out of the otherside of the planet, not quite inherently tied to the actual full on planet burst. And given that's the outer surface layer of the planet, which as said seemed to be ejected due to them bursting outward, it's probably safe to assume that was at least mostly on them.

Doubt it'd end up 5-B unless some rel KE gets applied (which, to be fair, all this happened in literally a second or two. Though maybe when the show gets there we can use that timeframe?).
But for just the minimum destruction, probably only 5-C. At best, given that's frag.

As long as the planet remained intact, the GBE of the planet remains intact but I just need to read the whole thing to properly understand where I stand.

I mean you guys are talking about a planet explosion that is also spoilers
For what it's worth, I made sure to avoid actually specifying which planet.
Though others didn't exactly do that.

I am not a calculating guy, I only have my opinion, but considering that they survived a planetary explosion without major injuries but can seriously injure themselves with physical attacks doesn't that make them planet level?

As long as the planet remained intact, the GBE of the planet remains intact but I just need to read the whole thing to properly understand where I stand.
The planet gets dusted, as in entirely shattered. I asked the same thing in a discord and
I am not a calculating guy, I only have my opinion, but considering that they survived a planetary explosion without major injuries but can seriously injure themselves with physical attacks doesn't that make them planet level?
Yeah, there is some very basic analytical logic being ignored in favor of reachy downplay arguments here.

No. Because they had to use the speed gun to destabilize the planet first. They explicitly said if it wasn't they would have died on impact and it was split 3 ways, 4 ways if you count the energy beam that did most of the work and what caused the planet to explode upon their impact.

Edit: Wrong thread.

No. Because they had to use the speed gun to destabilize the planet first. They explicitly said if it wasn't they would have died on impact and it was split 3 ways, 4 ways if you count the energy beam that did most of the work and what caused the planet to explode upon their impact.

Edit: Wrong thread.

I wrote about surviving the explosion, not being able to destroy the planet.

Back