• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
By default no one should have access to it in a vsthread. We can make something like "Composite Equipment" to be optional.

Ryukama said:
Saikou The Lewd King said:
I honestly had some issues with that as well, especially with characters like Mario. Having a specific item on you in one or two games when you have dozen shouldn't be treated as "Standard Equipment". This quickly ends up with characters being portrayed as far more versatile and haxxed than they are in 90% of their series.
I completely agree with this.
^Same. The Monster Hunter from Monster Hunter just gets a composite version of all it's armors in one which is just not accurate.

So, since I initially asked for a Standard Equipment page this is what I propose:

"Standard Equipment refers to a list of things a character has with him. When enlisting a character's Standard Equipment please consider the following rules:

• Normally list the things that a character usually carries.
  • If a character lacks a canon equipment his profile should specify this while differentiating it from their canon/usual equipment (if they have one).
    • Lacking a canon equipment means that there is no consistent instances within a canon where the character is equipped with an specific amount of things, even if is limited.
  • For things that a character doesn't have equipped but instead creates or summons indicate after the initial list that the character is "Able to create/summon the following things:", and then a list of said things.
  • For things that a character have at some point of his life use, but doesn't usually has with him, indicate at the end of the Standard Equipment that the character "Has momentarily used/possed the following things:", and then a list of said things.
Keep in mind that for vs threads characters will only be equipped with the things they usually carrie with them, and it must be specified if the characters are in possession of more than that or a composite version of their Standard Equipment."

Thoughts?

What does this mean for customizable blank slates or types of soldier like what I listed above?

Their equipment should be described within their vsthreads, their profiles should specify that they lack a canon equipment, if we are sure that this is the case. I will add this to my proposal.

I can get behind that.

Eficiente said:
I appreciate the support, and suggest the idea of highlighting the thread.
If we are going to change the way to structure profiles and vs threads rules then I have to insist on highlighting this thread.

I suppose this makes sense, but it sounds like it's going to be hell to edit a whole bunch of profiles; I can agree that nuclear weapons and satellite lasers really shouldn't be assumed as standard equipment, but RPG characters probably should have some OP specifications, as almost anything can be standard equipment. Though, standard equipment for RPG characters is generally their strongest and/or most well rounded equipment section.

This is going to downgrade Halo characters quite significantly, since he only carries like two or 3 UNSC guns at once and a couple grenades initially. Composite Link might get special treatment though.

Can't MC teleport in weapons? Ik destiny protags can which allows them their entire arsenal, and bungie made both games, but I may be misremembering.

Master Chief is from halo, not Destiny; those are two entirely different universes. And John doesn't teleport weapons, he just regularly goes into battlefields where weapons lie on the ground.

Ik they're different universes, I just didn't remember if you could do that in both games since Bungie made both and I haven't played halo in a while. That would be an issue for him, but it's not like that's not something he's gotta deal with in verse.

Yes, but that's assuming battlefield advantage and could be seen as a notable weakness, is that he's more dependant on stage advantage. If OP specifies an arena like setting with no weapons lying on the ground at all, then John's kind of limited.

Like Medeus, I think that this makes sense, but think that it would require a massive amount of work, so it would have to be a gradual project.

DontTalkDT said:
Maybe we should just separate standard equipment into standard stuff and optional / occasional stuff.

I mean like "Standard Equipment: x, optional equipment: y."

That would also solve the issue that determining peak equipment for characters becomes difficult once hax comes into play.
Anyway, this suggestion seems good.

We could perhaps add the "Optional Equipment" to the Standard format page, but also make an (Optional) note. And no need for a project to look at every profile, just individual profiles or verses could little by little have similar updates over time.

@Medeus

That seems like a good idea, but do we need a redesigned example image at the top of the page in that case?

That is a good point, but let's wait for DonTalk to come back to see what he says.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
We could perhaps add the "Optional Equipment" to the Standard format page, but also make an (Optional) note. And no need for a project to look at every profile, just individual profiles or verses could little by little have similar updates over time.
If it's ok to do optional sections I think this is a good idea.

Antvasima said:
@Medeus

That seems like a good idea, but do we need a redesigned example image at the top of the page in that case?
The example picture doesn't list optional sections like Feats and Explanations either. If we update it to include the "Optional Equipment" we can use the opportunity to include those as well.

Was self-blocked for the past week so I couldnt reply to this.

So just so im looking at this the right way, is this thread talking about either taking equipment not used very often by someone and placing it under the "optional equipment" part of their pages?

Or is it about removing it from the characters pages completely?

The first one. Having that information of a character preserved is an important part of what we do and nobody else does.

So would somebody experienced be willing to redesign the example image in our Standard Format for Character Profiles page, by exactly copying the old structure, but also adding the optional sections that DontTalkDT mentioned in his last post?

What would we do for characters from RPG situations who canonically have all the weapons available to a certain class (like an elf or a warrior) by the end of the game, but in-gameplay can only use one set at a time?

Eficiente said:
The first one. Having that information of a character preserved is an important part of what we do and nobody else does.
Hmm okay then. Then I agree.

As long as the equipment isnt removed from their pages completely as some characters have seperate tiers relient on it.

RPG characters, especially purely customizable RPG characters, are hard to approach in this regard. They have no canonical armor/weapons so pinning down exactly what they can and cannot use is difficult.

As for Kep's question, I believe that it they have access to a set of equipment canonically that even if they can't use it all in-game they should be treated as having it.

Just make OP specify.

Depending on the RPG, some Final Fantasy games can have characters switch out weapons mid fight. Same thing can't be said about armor, but Ribbons are probably the most iconic head gear for most characters; especially with status "immunity" (Actually resistance to avoid NLF, but I might as well quote the game). I agree that OP should specify though.

In destiny and dark souls you can freely swap out everything on a whim. PCs in both of those games don't really have a Canon set of equipment either. OP should specify starting gear, but pulling out something totally different is an option.

Antvasima said:
So would somebody experienced be willing to redesign the example image in our Standard Format for Character Profiles page, by exactly copying the old structure, but also adding the optional sections that DontTalkDT mentioned in his last post?
This is a quite important subject, so it would be good if we manage to organise a revision.

Back