• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Intangibility (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only dropped the idea of types because Ever told me he isn't a fan of differentiating powers based on every little/subtle detail. Besides, detailing how their intangibility works is better but the types would reduce the workload due to being similar to how immortality is divided into types.

I can go either way, it just needs to be done.

Here are the original types I proposed last January.

Type 1 - "Limited Intangibility" - refers to characters whose bodies are composed of an immaterial or energy substance (eg, fire or light), which recovers its shape in the event it is damaged. This intangibility can be overcome by opposing elements or (often) using special abilities. Also this level is vulnerable to certain effects such as sound, gravity but direct physical contact can be ignored due to unspecified levels of Regenerationn. However, this level of intangibility does not have the ability to pass through solid objects.

Note: Cal said he preferred if this was called "Fluid Intangibility instead."

Examples of characters with this type: Logia users, Kabuto Yakushi

Type 2 - "Intangibility via existing in a different dimension" - refers to characters whose body is entirely or partly transferred to another dimension / plane / reality that allows them to ignore some of the effects of the ordinary world. There may be attacked by dimensional manipulation or those powers that continue to apply to them (sound or gravity). Attacks using the properties of similar abilities also affect such a being in partial transition.

Examples of characters with this type: Obito Uchiha

Type 3 - "Intangibility via energetic existence" - refers to the characters that exist in the form of intangible energy (for example, soul, quantum foam, magical form, or just particles that do not have clear links between them, and are able to pass through solid material). They can ignore almost any exposure, excluding special abilities that relate to them (a soul wouldn't be able to ignore soul manipulation for example.)

Examples of characters with such abilities: Sasaki Kojiro (in astral form), Michael Roa Valdamjong (in between reincarnations), Post Retcon Beyonder (Cosmic Cube)

Type 4 - "Intangibility via Abstraction" - refers to those characters who are completely devoid of any specific material or energy, such as existing in the form of information or aspects of reality itself. These beings are immune to any effects other than the reality warping and cosmic powers. It is worth noting that such creatures still are part of the normal dimensional universes and timelines and therefore are not immune to the effects of higher-dimensional beings.

Examples of chatacters with this type: Phoenix Force, The Endless, the Living Tribunal

Type 5 - "Intangibility via Meta-abstraction" - refers to meta abstract characters, which among other things, are independent of the concepts of space, time and dimensions, or the reality of multi-layered universes. They possess an intangible immunity to even reality warping on the levels of the dimensional universe, and they are vulnerable only to effects from the same level or higher existence.

Examples of characters with this type: the Chousin, Nyarlathotep (Demonbane), Kawahara Sakuya

@Lucky

May you change the pic looks? It's..making me lag and takes half of the thread size :p

@Sera

intangibility should not be mixed with non-corporeality. Type 5 is kinda describing non-corporeal attributes.

I did it, but it didn't work.

So... I added the image to the wiki and added it that way.

No idea why the link turned into a massive picture...

but the point it represents still stands

What about intangibility by vibrating your molecules? (As I have heard that the Flash and Superman have done in the past). Which type does that fall under? Type 3, I'm guessing?

Damage3245 said:
What about intangibility by vibrating your molecules? (As I have heard that the Flash and Superman have done in the past). Which type does that fall under? Type 3, I'm guessing?
Type 1. You become intangible and most circumstances, but are still physical.

Just FYI, I was against having an Elemental Intangibility page because I knew this was going to come up. Instead, some random made the page despite me telling them that they need to ask staff. <_<

If you are going to remove the Elemental Intangibility page, I will help with editing the One Piece pages.

Also, Busoshoku Haki is accepted to force those w/ specific types of Intangibility to take form and thus be hit in versus matches. This obviously applies to Type 1 - Limited Intangibility, and I believe this also applies to Type 3 - Intangibility via Energetic Presence. Correct me if I'm wrong about the latter.

How about Conceptual Intangibility? Giga, from Bo-bobo(Who I'm in the process of making a page for), cannot be hit by attacks unless they are artistic. Neither physical nor soul-damaging attacks were capable of hitting him. He DOES have a body, and he DOES have a soul, but the attacks would simply phase through him until his conceptual armour was broken.

Also, I think we should word the name to type 2 differently. Change "dimension" to "realm". We try no to use dimension synonymous when referring to both alternate realms and higher infinities.

I prefer the intangibility types you first presented earlier on this thread, if any, but it's hardly necessary. It's better to judge things on a case by case basis, probably, instead of making a mess of this.

No, sorry that isnt intangibility, but it's non-corporeality like the description for type 5.

It's unnecessary to make such division, since explaining the nature of said concept is enough.

Giga is not non-corporeal, though. He has a form/body. He does not exist only as a concept, but only artistic attacks can hit him, physical and soul-damaging attacks phased through him until his conceptual armour broke, and then a combination of physical and soul-damaging attacks were able to work on him.

ProspectX said:
@Sera

intangibility should not be mixed with non-corporeality. Type 5 is kinda describing non-corporeal attributes.
I realize this, remember this is old. Not to mention...incorporeal is a type of intangibility. This wiki just differentiates it.

@Cin

Yeah...more or less.

@HadouCyberWitch

Conceptual Intangibility? That can be added in as another type. These types and definitions are old so they need revising.

There's still the matter if whether or not we should bother with types rather than just explaining how their ability works.

It is necessary.

Some abilities that may affect users of certain types of intangibility may not work against others.

I feel like that's such a unique case it'd be better to just describe it on the character's page instead of making a new type for it.

If we even go with types.

Promestein said:
I feel like that's such a unique case it'd be better to just describe it on the character's page instead of making a new type for it.

If we even go with types.
Sounds best to me.

I have doubt that Giga is the only user of Conceptual Intangibility. If he is, well, then I guess artists from Kirby who are 4-A would be the only opponents he ever gets. (The only artistic 4-As I could think of).

TheHadouCyberspaceWitch said:
He does not exist only as a concept, but only artistic attacks can hit him, physical and soul-damaging attacks phased through him until his conceptual armour broke, and then a combination of physical and soul-damaging attacks were able to work on him.
Do you know what a concept is? Although, that's just immortality. If he is a concept, then any physical damage or "non-physical" would be rendered useless unless he is attacked on a conceptual level. It's not Intangibility, just effective Invulnerability.

@Witch Does that count as Intang thought? I think that is more "Imunity" than Intang. He does, after all, turn woundable after having his Armor Broken.

Prospect, he isn't a concept. It's just that only artistic attacks can hit him. Attacks that are not artistic, whether they hit the body, or the soul, will just phase through him, until enough artistic attacks break his conceptual armour.

Type 1: Phasing: The ability to phase through matter by becoming briefly intangible, sometimes through such means as vibrating one's molecules at such a speed that it becomes possible to move through physical matter. However, this does not necessarily allow the user to phase through immaterial energy-based attacks.

Type 2: Elemental Intangibility: The ability to become intangible by transforming into a substance, such as wind, fire, or water, making it so that most attacks merely disperse them instead of truly damaging them, allowing them to regenerate. However, this would still leave the user vulnerable to many forms of attack, such as sufficiently powerful energy or elemental attacks.

• Logia users, Suika Ibuki, etc. There's more examples on their page
Type 3: Immaterial: This type of intangibility allows the user to phase through most attacks due to not being made up of a physical substance, such as ghosts or characters who merely exist as a disembodied soul. Of course, this intangibility type still has its own weaknesses - a soul is vulnerable to soul manipulation, for example.

Type 4: Spatial: The ability to shift into other dimensions so as to avoid and phase through attacks. While this allows them to avoid most forms of attack, they can still be affected by attacks that operate on similar principles and by those with sufficient range to target them in the other dimension.

Here's something basic

Immaterial = Physical body doesn't follow conventional physical rules

Non-Corporeal = No true physical body

That's how they should be used, anyways, I think.

I honestly feel we don't need types, but rather we can just list them like "The mechanics of the Intangibility can wildly vary from series to series, but some common variations are as follows". It outlines them without the necessity of a project and accounting for how there are multiple versions of Intangibility that aren't part of the given types.

TheHadouCyberspaceWitch said:
No, being non-corporeal means you have no body, no form, no real shape. Like Sithis. King Boo would have Type 3.
Ghosts/characters who are disembodied spirits are Non-Corporeal though.

1. >doesnt exist "only" as a concept

2. >isnt a concept.

A single being can either exist as conceptual abstractness of the holon, or just be simply existing. It has to be specific, otherwise this is just Invulnerability

@Matt

Basically, what I suggested is what Prom said, but we don't call them types.

This allows for wiggle room with types of intangibility that are very rare for a type of their own, and makes it so we don't need a massive project implementing each type.

Prospect, attacks that are not artistic phase through Giga, whether they are physical attacks, or attacks that would damage the soul. Giga has a body/form/shape, so he is not non-corporeal, and he has a soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back