• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important: Staff help needed!

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I know that this is a repeat topic, but I have had to work for 14 hours today taking care of this wiki, and I genuinely need help to lighten the workload, since I will get a burnout if this continues in the long run, and then I won't be able to help out at all anymore.

As such, I request that the administrators and content moderators of this wiki start to regularly use the edit-patrolling script that Fandom installed for us to be able to split the workload.

You can read instructions here: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/The_Edit-Patrolling_Script

You don't have to do that much individually, just pitch in here and there, but there are so many of us that you should collectively be able to make my work much easier. The Saturdays and Sundays are by far the hardest for me to handle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

NOTE: STAFF ONLY

I'll be very frank with you, if you don't actively pursue help with constant reminders to the staff in their walls all you will get is a bunch of false "Sure, I can help"s and this thread will resurface the next month because nobody actually started to help bar one or two people, who will stop after one week or so, and round and round until you retire.

@Kepekley23

Would you be willing to talk with the admins and content moderators individually?

Ironically, I am so overworked that I have a hard time handling regular reminder conversations with around 20 staff members at once, even though it would be to decrease my workload.

I would appreciate if somebody could place messages on the walls of all the active bureaucrats, administrators, and content moderators that inform them about this thread.

Thank you for the help.

Well, any regular help would be appreciated. Just remember to read the page that I linked to earlier and to practice the instructions.

So I might just be slow, but I after reading that, I still don't really understand how to use this.

I will help to the best of my ability and where I can, I might not be able to help as much as I would like between juggling two jobs but im sure ill be able to contribute largely in a meaningful way

I tried using the mass patrol function, but it didn't seem to work. It only marked the tab that I was on as patrolled, none of the other tabs I had open.

I don't want to fall into what Kep was talking about, so I'll just be honest. While in the past I would edit frequently or stalk the recent wiki activity page, I have been extremely busy with school, sports and various other real life issues going on with me. As I've discussed with Ant in PMs. So I'm extremely sorry, but I can't promise that I'm going to use this all that much at all. However I will at the very least ensure that I'll use it when I have the time to watch over edits. Though that probably won't be too often. Again great apologies.

Kaltias is correct. If you want to help out, you just need to monitor a series of edits in a page/open tab, and then press "Mass patrol" if nothing needs to be corrected.

However, you should only use the feature if there is no problem there or you know how to handle it, by correcting structure errors, asking the editor in question why the changes were performed, etcetera.

@All

Thank you for all offers to help out, and there is no need to apologise. I understand if you are too busy with schoolwork. I would just appreciate regular help with lessening my workload.

@Monarch Laciel

It is only supposed to mark each separate page as monitored after you have verified that the edits are accurate, not all of them at once without inspecting them first.

Does "inspecting" just refer to opening the page and taking a look, or do I need to do something else for the system to consider the page inspected?

Unless I have been really screwing up my job, I think it's the former @monarch

Ok, then yeah, I don't think it worked for me.

Are there any consequences to experimenting to see how it works myself, or is the worst that will happen be that only 1 thing gets marked as patrolled instead of 20

You need to open the history section for the page in a separate tab, compare the edit changes for the last day, inspect that nothing inappropriate has been added and that there is no bad structure or grammar, and then click the "Mass patrol" button.

If there was something inappropriate added and/or there was bad structure or grammar, you will need to correct it afterwards though, and preferably talk with the responsible editor about it via his/her message wall.

@Mon Did you mean if looking at a page alone will cause an edit to be patrolled or if you had to do something besides looking before clicking the "mark all as read" button?

The latter.

I'm not so foolish as to think looking at the page alone will mark it as patrolled, don't worry.

I have been meaning to ask, which edits exactly get patroled when the mass patrol function gets used and which are left out?

The mass patrol function marks all current edits for a certain page as monitored, so it is very important that all of the recent changes are checked in one go.

Me and my ilk have no right being here. I shall scurry away into the shadows. I wish the real staff luck.

@Andytrenom

I am not sure, but it marks all of the ones that have not been patrolled yet as inspected, so they do not show up in recent changes for me.

Back