• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important: A new rule about References

AKM sama

Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
Heya all!

This is an announcement.

As discussed in this thread, the "References" section in character profiles is no longer optional. It is extremely important that all of us try to start using references for important information in profile pages from now on.

Here is the instruction page on how to use them: References

Okay, but why though?

• There is a recurring problem that the wiki has always faced. We put links to scans, manga panels, youtube videos, etc. on pages to provide evidence for some justification. And after some time, many of the links/videos end up broken. In such scenarios, references will help us quickly grab hold of the required evidence because we'd know exactly where to find them.
  • While uploading pics to the wiki or imgur works to a certain extent, a normal viewer doesn't get the entire context from one or two scans. References will provide them an option to go and check whatever context they want for themselves.
  • It is far more professional and increases our reliability.
  • It is also a great safety cover for us in a potential scenario where image/video links are removed by Fandom, or image hosting sites like Imgur are forced to remove all of their comic book, manga, etc. images due to stricter copyright legislation from the EU and US governments.
So... are pages without references going to be deleted?

No. 99% of the pages don't have references as of yet. This is going to be a gradual process, but it is highly advised that supporters of the verses start adding references to the important character pages and information blogs. You can create revision threads for this purpose. And it is highly encouraged to include the references section in any new pages you make from this point on. Mainly, important scans that are linked to and powers that are not self-evident should all get references where they were shown. With time, this will be enforced with more strictness.

Here's a well-structured page with references as an example. You can check it out as this will help you get a better idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this include verse power/ability pages and cosmology blogs? I imagine probably so

What about mangas that solely rely on fan translations? For example in Saint Seiya fan translators break stuff up by individual chapters instead of posting whole volumes. Do we post the chapters as reference or volume #?

What about scans that come from video game trailers or previews something similar to DragonBall heroes?

References are always a nice thing to have, obviously they make the profile making/editing process a bit more tedious but it's nothing too crazy. Noticed that for comic profiles the reference page mentions to add the year the issue was released, so I'll have to take a little bit of time later to add that to the references for Pluto as well, should only take maybe an hour (Also very flattering that my Pluto profile is being used as an example for how to handle references).

Does this include verse power/ability pages and cosmology blogs? I imagine probably so
Preferably yes.
What about mangas that solely rely on fan translations? For example in Saint Seiya fan translators break stuff up by individual chapters instead of posting whole volumes. Do we post the chapters as reference or volume #?
Chapter numbers should be fine, yes.
What about scans that come from video game trailers or previews something similar to DragonBall heroes?
We should preferably not scale from unfinished or unreleased products.

Question, do we only have to make references for a link to a specific scan or statement?

Or every justification in general?
Well, usually everything that isn't self-evident or backed up by a calculation blog should preferably get a reference, but you can prioritise the most important ones. We are not Wikipedia. We just want our wiki to turn more reliable, improve our reputation, and to take safety measures in case most of our scan links are eventually taken down.

Well, everything that isn't self-evident or backed up by a calculation blog should preferably get a reference, but you can prioritise the most important ones. We are not Wikipedia. We just want our wiki to turn more reliable, and to take safety measures in case most of our scan links are eventually taken down.
Ok, this will take some time then

Well, if they contain any information that is not self-evident or backed up by calculation blogs (including scaling by linking to other characters that have performed feats), some references can probably be added, but otherwise it should probably be fine.

And what about profiles(most of mine) that really don't need references because literally everything can be seen on the links at the standard tactics section of the page?

Though I'm gonna have a lot of pain trying to track down everything for Darksiders, and won't bother with Warcraft(good excuse for the verse to be deleted if you ask me.)

And what about profiles(most of mine) that really don't need references because literally everything can be seen on the links at the standard tactics section of the page?
Are you referring to image and video links? They are in constant danger of being removed, so references are preferable to use in combination.

Okay. Safety precautions and quality maintenance are still preferably though, but it doesn't seem like a high-priority issue.

Pretty much all of my links lead to images that are on the wiki, I have other stuff on the site that takes priority, and I am going back to school very soon, so I'll be very busy

This is by no means something I have the time to do right this moment, but I guarantee that eventually overtime I'll implement these changes on my profiles, luckily I have very few things that are not self evident on the profiles

Pretty much all of my links lead to images that are on the wiki, I have other stuff on the site that takes priority, and I am going back to school very soon, so I'll be very busy

This is by no means something I have the time to do right this moment, but I guarantee that eventually overtime I'll implement these changes on my profiles, luckily I have very few things that are not self evident on the profiles
That isn't a problem. This is not a sudden enormous project, just a gradual process to prioritise in the long run.

Thank you for helping out. Please remember that there is no stress with this project. It can take years. The important thing is that it gets done to most profile pages eventually.

Alright so a few simple questions. for a verse where powers are more generic would it be better to put something "X game, X skill", and "X game, from X class"? the other is. If a part of the verse has a living ruleset that updates character powers and abilities, would if be best to put "X game, X Update number"?

Well, the skills should not be listed within the references themselves, just in what manga chapter they were displayed, for example.

Please read our References instruction page for further information.

Back