• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuasiYuri

They/Them
VS Battles
Retired
So we had a lot of discussions about Immeasurable speed, and I think the reason nobody really agree on what it is is because it shouldn't be a thing to begin with; which is what I'll explain in this CRT.

Imo it is kind of an important issue, since Immeasurable speed apply to a lot of our characters, is the source of way more than one debate and Speed is kinda the uncool cousin of Tiering System.

I already presented the beta version of it to some admins for opinions and the result were pretty even (or more like, equal with neutral opinions); so it's likely worth the post.

Immeasurable Speed​

First, here's the description we have on the wiki:

"Movement beyond linear time. This is why the speed cannot be measured. Given that S = D/T, if T is undefined the speed formula cannot be applied. This is the same reason why multiple temporal dimensions also grant immeasurable speed."

And the associated note says that "The difference between infinite and immeasurable is that the former can go everywhere instantly, whereas the latter can go everywhere and everywhen faster than instantly."

Additionnal stuff not mentionned were that "you would be able to strike before you move" or "able to react to attack directed toward your past/future self". Also there is the fact that "merely transcending time and space isn't enough to qualify" and some others person talked about it being akin to a "state of being".

So these explanations are the basis I'll take for the post of "why should we just get ride of this speed".

(Last Immeasurable-related thread explained how higher-D don't mean higher speed since it's just a new direction, so I'm not re-debatting it in this post).

What is speed?​

Not spilling anything new here, but speed is V=D/T, which means that you get the speed of this by calculating the time something take to cross a distance.

That's all there is to it. Every speed up to Infinite follows this rule so far.

But Immeasurable speed add a rule that basically says "if you time travel through movements or attack before you move, then you're above infinite speed"

Except that while time/causality trickery is cool and all, you don't calc it with a D/T formula (nor do you calc it at all). We litteraly removed timeless voids for this reason, but adding things which have the same reason with how you calc speed isn't any better.

Basically it's the same as putting a new AP rating based on "punching holes in space-time" because you can't calc it with TNT values and suchlike and it can kill thing with High 3-A durability.

Also since just saying that "it's not related" is pretty weak, the next points will detail this a bit further.

What is it based on?​

A good thing about this wiki is that it takes a lot of time actually taking stuff from actual theory and make everything logical. We litteraly spend idkhowmuchtime doing this for the new tiering system.

But what about the idea of time traveling through movements being faster than infinite speed or that reverse causality shenanigans is?

I did research on the subject, and I didn't find anything remotely implying this.

Like, going from scientific theories, to NASA stuff to philosophical stuff about it, I never found anything remotely implying this.

However time travel and his link to speed was obviously treated countless times, so next point will be to just how it should definitely stop being considered as a proof of any given speed.

Time travel portrayal in relation to speed​

So I'll take Tachyons as my main example, since Einstein's Theory of Relativity can be responded with things like "it only talks about going backward in time or having time being experienced as slower".

Tachyons are famous for being the hypothetical FTL particles being able to travel across time with their speed.

However even these molecules aren't able to go beyond infinity (and aren't even able to truly reach it).

It's litteraly a case of "doing something before you move" which is supposed to be part of Immeasurable speed (a theorical example is the Tachyonic antitelephone).

They meet Immeasurable criterias so well that they're even supposed to litteraly go both in the future and the past through sheer speed and constantly, which is really what I could find as the closest equivalent to our Immeasurable speed criterias.

So something traveling through time with sheer speed, doing actions before their movement, able to react to past/future stuff, etc... isn't considered anywhere outside of our regular speed calculations in actual scientific theories.

As such, since we're using made-up criterias (or more the conclusion of making you faster than infinite is what's made-up); Immeasurable speed should just disappear.

But what [x] would be then?​

So I explained why Immeasurable speed in itself was wrong, but some people may wonder about what the current proof of Immeasurable would fall under instead or how they would be treated (or "could" for those with a lot of particular case).

For time travelling through speed, it would unsurprisingly fall under... Time Travel. Wow. What a twist.

For "being able to strike before you move", it would be Causality Manipulation, more precisely causality-reversal (except if it would be like just sending an attack back into the past). Gae Bolg is a good example of this ability. If one character can do it with every movement; then congratulations, you have a great passive! (just like characters who can do space-time distorsions with their very punches or the likes).

Being "able to react to attack directed toward your past/future self" is a bit trickier, because it can be more than one situation: is the attack causality reversal? (like Gae Bolg); is it just an attack being sent to the past/future? (such as Future Sight ).

In the first case, one simply can't just dodge it with speed. I mean it's like asking someone to reflect fate manipulation with a kick. You would need some form of hax to counter it like for Fate's characters, who need Luck above B to dodge Gae Bolg.

In the second one, there's a shit tons of way to dodge it. While your present self can't do shit, from your past self's perspective, it's just an attack randomly appearing. The character can simply dodge it; with side powers like Precognition or Instinctive Reaction just being a bonus help. It's really the same as a time traveller travelling then trying to stab you; they at best have surprise factor. Of course if the target is like your baby self good luck with this.

Also for a last one, being "faster than infinity" would just be higher infinite speed. It's not even dumb; I mean we take this into account 2-As so why wouldn't it be the case here? Also this one is kinda rethoric since the most blatant example of this I found consider it as Infinite speed too.

Anyway, everything which is/was a criteria can be put under something else, which strengthen the fact that Immeasurable speed can go bye bye without bringing any real incoherences in our system.

In conclusion​

To resume, I demonstrated the criterias for Immeasurable aren't related to speed in itself, that it lacked any kind of actual basis and that theories involving our current criterias give a waaaay different result from our's. In addition to this, every criterias we have can easily fall under something else; which is more coherent with similar abilities.

As such, Immeasurable speed should just get erased.

What is speed?​

Not spilling anything new here, but speed is V=D/T, which means that you get the speed of this by calculating the time something take to cross a distance.

But Immeasurable speed add a rule that basically says "if you time travel through movements or attack before you move, then you're above infinite speed"

Except that while time/causality trickery is cool and all, you don't calc it with a D/T formula (nor do you calc it at all). We litteraly removed timeless voids for this reason, but adding things which have the same reason with how you calc speed isn't any better.

Basically it's the same as putting a new AP rating based on "punching holes in space-time" because you can't calc it with TNT values and suchlike and it can kill thing with High 3-A durability.
Why is Immeasurable Speed breaking the speed formula a problem? That's literally the entire point of Immeasurable Speed: it's speed that cannot be measured/calculated using the S=D/T formula. If you want to remove Immeasurable Speed because of this, then you might as well push for Irrelevant Speed to be axed as well.

What is it based on?​

A good thing about this wiki is that it takes a lot of time actually taking stuff from actual theory and make everything logical. We litteraly spend idkhowmuchtime doing this for the new tiering system.

But what about the idea of time traveling through movements being faster than infinite speed or that reverse causality shenanigans is?

I did research on the subject, and I didn't find anything remotely implying this.

Like, going from scientific theories, to NASA stuff to philosophical stuff about it, I never found anything remotely implying this.

However time travel and his link to speed was obviously treated countless times, so next point will be to just how it should definitely stop being considered as a proof of any given speed.
We don't have proof of it because fiction works very differently from real life. Information and matter are incapable of going beyond the speed of light IRL, but fiction doesn't care about that in most cases. By default, real life physics don't hold in fiction unless the verse in question explicitly follows physics by the letter - otherwise, we might as well say that nothing can be FTL in fiction because nothing can be FTL in real life.

So I'll take Tachyons as my main example, since Einstein's Theory of Relativity can be responded with things like "it only talks about going backward in time or having time being experienced as slower".

Tachyons are famous for being the hypothetical FTL particles being able to travel across time with their speed.

However even these molecules aren't able to go beyond infinity (and aren't even able to truly reach it).

It's litteraly a case of "doing something before you move" which is supposed to be part of Immeasurable speed (a theorical example is the Tachyonic antitelephone).

They meet Immeasurable criterias so well that they're even supposed to litteraly go both in the future and the past through sheer speed and constantly, which is really what I could find as the closest equivalent to our Immeasurable speed criterias.

So something traveling through time with sheer speed, doing actions before their movement, able to react to past/future stuff, etc... isn't considered anywhere outside of our regular speed calculations in actual scientific theories.

As such, since we're using made-up criterias (or more the conclusion of making you faster than infinite is what's made-up); Immeasurable speed should just disappear.
Are you seriously using theoretical physics to debate your point? First of all, as I said, fiction is not real life. What holds for us may not hold for fiction, and in fact, when it comes to physics, it usually doesn't. Secondly, you're basically arguing that there is no difference between FTL and Immeasurable Speed, in which case you're implying that everything after lightspeed in the speed tiering system should be merged with Immeasurable. Do you think that people would be okay with the idea that Goku is as fast as Alduin? Because that's what this point amounts to, whether you realize it or not.

So I explained why Immeasurable speed in itself was wrong, but some people may wonder about what the current proof of Immeasurable would fall under instead or how they would be treated (or "could" for those with a lot of particular case).

For time travelling through speed, it would unsurprisingly fall under... Time Travel. Wow. What a twist.
I don't see how it would be just Time Travel. As far as I am aware, Time Travel is treated as the ability to fold spacetime so that you can go to the past or to the future. Immeasurable Speed wouldn't need that- they could just move across time as if it were just another spatial axis and freely go forward and backward in time. It's similar to the logic behind why Infinite Speed isn't just Teleportation: the latter is specifically folding space to cross virtually any distance; whereas the former is a velocity which is sufficient to cross any amount of distance, even an infinite amount.
For "being able to strike before you move", it would be Causality Manipulation, more precisely causality-reversal (except if it would be like just sending an attack back into the past). Gae Bolg is a good example of this ability. If one character can do it with every movement; then congratulations, you have a great passive! (just like characters who can do space-time distorsions with their very punches or the likes).
I mean, sure, but I don't see what this is supposed to prove. In fact, I can throw it back on you and claim that Infinite Speed would suffer from this as well, since if you are infinitely fast, the cause and effect of your actions would coincide. Would you want to nix Infinite Speed because of that?
Being "able to react to attack directed toward your past/future self" is a bit trickier, because it can be more than one situation: is the attack causality reversal? (like Gae Bolg); is it just an attack being sent to the past/future? (such as Future Sight ).

In the first case, one simply can't just dodge it with speed. I mean it's like asking someone to reflect fate manipulation with a kick. You would need some form of hax to counter it like for Fate's characters, who need Luck above B to dodge Gae Bolg.
I'm pretty sure this is how we already do things in most cases. Moving on...
In the second one, there's a shit tons of way to dodge it. While your present self can't do shit, from your past self's perspective, it's just an attack randomly appearing. The character can simply dodge it; with side powers like Precognition or Instinctive Reaction just being a bonus help. It's really the same as a time traveller travelling then trying to stab you; they at best have surprise factor. Of course if the target is like your baby self good luck with this.
I don't think stuff like what you're describing here or the example you gave is treated as Immeasurable Speed in the first place.
Also for a last one, being "faster than infinity" would just be higher infinite speed. It's not even dumb; I mean we take this into account 2-As so why wouldn't it be the case here? Also this one is kinda rethoric since the most blatant example of this I found consider it as Infinite speed too.
What? Immeasurable Speed isn't reducible to just "faster than infinity." Immeasurable Speed, by its very nature, cannot be given a speed value at all because it breaks the S=D/T formula, as I said above. I don't think being "infinitely faster than infinity" is something that cannot be quantified in terms of speed.

--------------------------

I disagree strongly with removing Immeasurable Speed. Your arguments don't make sense to me and (no offense) seem to ignore common sense.

This honestly doesn't seem strong. It treats Immeasurable speed as "faster than infinity" and compares it to 2-A when Immeasurable Speed isn't just some mere step beyond infinity, it's running along the temporal axis as if it's spatial. It doesn't fit with Speed=distance/time, that's the whole reason behind it being immeasurable.

You try to use Tachyons as an example but in real physics, the speed of light would essentially be infinite speed because at light speed, time stops, and beyond light speed, time reverses. That's how real life operates.

In the middle of me typing this, King pretty much posted a much more in-depth explanation, so I'll cut it short here. Strongly disagree.

Deathstroke actually brings up another good point: in real life, something that manages to move at the speed of light would see time as completely frozen, and beyond that speed, time would seem to be going backwards. If a tachyon and an Infinite Speed guy were to race, the tachyon would always win because it would have already reached the finish line before the race even started. Thus, the OP's example falls flat on its face and would actually support my argument.

I'll answer King's reasonning tommorow, but for now I really see it as ignoring most debates about Immeasurable speed so far as well as using false equivalence such as "You say Goku=Alduin".

Except that while time/causality trickery is cool and all, you don't calc it with a D/T formula (nor do you calc it at all).

This is why we call it immeasurable speed. It's a speed feat, but it can't be measured. Pretty simple.

False Analogy. If punching holes in space-time were to be High 3-A, it would be via effecting the 4-D Space-Time Continuum, not because "You can't nuke Space-Time via TNT lel"

The rest of your post is applying Science to Fiction, which is a big no-no. These points + KingPin's is why I disagree with the OP.

Agreed with kingpin, though I'll come back when Yuri replies. I see no need in removing Immeasurable speed. The tl;dr of it is also movement through timelines. Not hard.

Wanna note for the FTL example used, irl FTL is considered to literally break causality and distort space-time

Dunno if you want to apply IRL FTL to how we treat FTL here or a lot of characters get extreme hax buffs, even people that aren't even meant to have abilities.
It definitely varies on the verse. Cause like FTL in touhou is casual and nothing extreme happens then in DC, flash does it and he time travels.

It definitely varies on the verse. Cause like FTL in touhou is casual and nothing extreme happens then in DC, flash does it and he time travels.
Was being semi-rhetorical there, basically saying you don't want to apply irl laws of physics of FTL to the speed system since FTL is a whole other thing in physics.

Yeah, I don't want to bring up controversial names like other staff members do, but this is like the Christina Finello of all Immeasurable speed revisions; too extreme. I have agreed that we can often be too leniant on either assuming or applying Immeasurable speed based on "Transcending time" or trading blows with Space-Time Omnipresents, it's definitely a speed rating that exists.

I don't have any example characters at the tip of my tongue, but I recall the final boss of Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a perfect example of Immeasurable speed being legit. And Wally West in some instances can reach Immeasurable speed; there was a literal feat where he outpaces Instant transmission by literally moving faster than instantaneous to his destination.

I don't have much longer things to say aside from what I already said on the previous thread, but removing Immeasurable outright is a hard no.

Disagree for the removal via King reasoning
Agree with Kings reasoning.
King makes sense FRA.
Agreed with king
My argumentative prowess has become so great that people have started agreeing with my reasoning before I've even arrived.

It's all green grass from here, fellows.
Well King ninja’d the **** outta me. I agree with him.
Almost as if he has immeasurable speed and saw your reply coming.
I do. And I did.

I am fundamentally opposed to this suggestion.

What is speed?​

Also since just saying that "it's not related" is pretty weak, the next points will detail this a bit further.
I have a quick side note for you; velocity isn't the same thing as speed. I'm covering this so that we avoid confusion later. Speed is how fast something moves, but the velocity of something accounts for speed with direction. Velocity has the potential to be negative whereas speed cannot. This is because speed is the absolute value of velocity. I don't mind the confusion personally, but you should use the correct terminology if you're gonna explain how speed works.

You're misinterpreting the problem here if you're trying to make a comparison to timeless voids. The problem there was that moving in the environment didn't give you speed. There was a debate on whether or not the "t" value was zero or undefined. The majority was that it was undefined and inapplicable because there would be nothing to gauge speed-wise if t =/= 0. You can't apply linear time to Immeasurable speed because you're moving on its level as an axis. S=D/T can only apply for movement if there is a timeframe; you cannot assign a timeframe to something that is outside the confines of time. This means the speed transcends the very nature of what we can comprehend for third-dimensional movement. The same cannot be said for timeless voids because the only thing that ever made them feats was a conceived attribute and what it took to move in them. The space-time AP argument literally has no comparison either.

What is it based on?​

We apply physics whenever it can actually make sense. The hard truth is that fiction isn't remotely conformative to our IRL standards most of the time. The Law of Thermodynamics is probably the most well-known victim of this problem where 9/10 characters will constantly break it. The general reason you're not finding "faster than infinite speed" or anything like that is that exceeding lightspeed is literally impossible IRL. In our real world, traveling at the speed of light would require them to behave like they have infinite mass and energy. Things like photons only even reach the speed of light because they are massless, therefore they do not require energy. If you're really looking into how IRL stuff would affect the speed system, you'd ironically be getting rid of far more than just Immeasurable.

There are numerous flaws with the argument you're trying to utilize here:
  • Tachyons are generally disregarded by scientists because they ignore causality. You're trying to superimpose this over your current idea when it doesn't even have the backing for it.
  • Even then, there is literally no reason why we should accept this interpretation over the current one.
  • The biggest problem here is that Tachyons are trying to compensate for time travel based on IRL standards. Basically, it's trying to fit reality's status quo while explaining a novel idea. We're not doing the same here because we're accommodating for fiction, which we've already gone over how we have to adjust our standards for it.
  • I'm not sure if you just blanked this out or genuinely aren't aware, but your proposition would affect far more than just Immeasurable. Your idea would have to have us merge anything from FTL - Immeasurable into one speed category. Unless you are willing to stand by the notion we need to merge everything above the speed of light, then you need to effectively drop this point and concede your entire point regarding time travel. You're fighting a losing battle here.

Anyway, everything which is/was a criteria can be put under something else, which strengthen the fact that Immeasurable speed can go bye bye without bringing any real incoherences in our system.
All of these stem from the incorrect presumption that infinite speed is wrong, but I'll humor your ideas.
  • I don't see why we're devaluing time travel with sheer speed to just the ability. There is an apparent difference between just using the ability and moving on a higher spatiotemporal axis to reach a period in time. Also, weren't you just talking about why Time Travel via sheer speed would be FTL? If that's not your argument, then why did you literally bring the tachyons at all? And if it is, you need to get your proposal straight.
  • You could argue it's Causality Manipulation, but the problem I'd see is that you're introducing a non-implied character ability to compensate for the poor attempt to get rid of Immeasurable. You were using similar logic to say even FTL things can do this, so I'll ask why you don't include those in your list too.
  • I can agree that the portion of "reacting to a future attack" could likely just be Precog or Causality, but it'd still be viable for actual speed depending on the circumstance.
  • Nah, "faster than infinite speed" would just be "faster than light" if we let any of this nonsense go through.

In conclusion​

To resume, I demonstrated the criterias for Immeasurable aren't related to speed in itself, that it lacked any kind of actual basis and that theories involving our current criterias give a waaaay different result from our's. In addition to this, every criterias we have can easily fall under something else; which is more coherent with similar abilities.

As such, Immeasurable speed should just get erased.
Not really. You completely butchered theoretical physics and your own logic to derive a highly ill-informed conclusion.

Your entire premise here is dangerous, and I don't think anyone would ever support this if they knew what it actually entails.

Okay, after reading the replies, I agree with this being declined, Ploz really helped making the stuff being easier to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back