• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I want to add Scoob and Shag

So here's the deal, idk where to place this thread so i'll leave it up to the staff members, however i have to make this thread either way.

So i've been reading some threads, seeing messages from some mods about the fact that they think the webcomic Scoob and Shag isn't good enough to be added to the wiki and think it's "blatant fanfiction" or something along those lines.

So i am going to try and argue for it to get added either way.
Or rather i am gonna go and piss off every animator vs. animation fan in this wiki since i am gonna bring up that that thing exists.

So first of all let me bring up why i think Scoob and Shag isn't just fanfiction or something:
1. The names are specifically changed to fit copyright. even though they are clearly based around names that exist such as "Scoob", "Mick", "Pops" ect.
2. The description of the series on webtoon states the next " Scoob and Shag is a parody and the likeness to any trademarked characters are purely for satirical purposes through fair use and has no association to any existing copyrights." so no copyright violations, not fanfiction.

Now let me adress something that every person will bring up right now, it's called a parody.
The defintion of parody is: "an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect." and the mariam webster dictionary states:
1: a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridiculewrote a hilarious parody of a popular song
2: a feeble or ridiculous imitationa cheesy parody of a classic western

So while this would be true for the first few dozen or so chapters which focus on momentary comedy, afterwards it shifts to something serious. There are entire chapters with 0 comedic situations, full of moments of sadness and more. Parodies are meant to be funny, they are made to either make fun of the source material or to take the source material to make it funny, however past the beginning of the story the series shifts into an action-thriller-horror series with elements of comedy scattered throughout. You can't just call it a parody.

But is it fanfiction? Besides the fact that it seems to be safe from copyright at the very moment, we also have the fact that:

3. It has a completely original story. Yes, there are absolutely 0 instances of the author taking a story canon to a cartoon and making it into something different, it is entirely original through and through.
4. The characters have relatively original personalities as while their toony quirks stay, their motivations, their ideas and ideologies, their approach to things is changed. As an example, Mick (who is based on Mickey mouse) is a sociopathic emotionless murderer who doesn't hesitate to erase people out of existence for his own benefit.
5. The characters have original powersets and an original power system. So the system in this world is "Ballyhoos" and with them appear abilities relatively similar to JJBA stands or MHA quirks - abilities that are personalized and can be used by the character freely. Additionally, these powers are based around the idea of tv and are 100% uninspired by any power used by the original character unless it's like Sam using a gun.

So overall, while i see why people would argue why this verse is fanfiction, i belive that it isn't and it should be let onto the wiki. But people might still not think it is enough and so i bring you

Animator vs. Animation.

Now this verse is already on the wiki and i believe that if this verse is allowed then Scoob and Shag should be allowed as well. You see, I am a fan of the series and i know some of the things happening there. While the main characters are stickmen who are technically original, they are constantly finding themselves facing against things that are unoriginal.
Specifically, Animation vs Minecraft, Animation vs. Arcade games and even Animation vs. Pokemon. There are many more of these and the thing is, the profiles also reflect these animations here. There are more exmaples of this throughout the profiles as well.

So I think you see what i am getting at right? Original story but unoriginal characters, combat premise, still hasn't gotten in trouble with copyright, original powers, loved by many. Though this time they didn't even draw the sprites themselves, the characters form other games are just straight from the games, the actual sprites and everything.

So in short, i am doing the cliche, either i get it or nobody does. Either I am allowed to make Scoob and Shag or nobody can make anything of the sort which includes AvA.
What I want is for the verse to exist here since it would be an amazing verse to have here, but if I cannot get it because it's "fanfiction" then i am taking everything else with it.

It's fanfic, so it's better suited for FC/OC.

Despite changing the names (though only by removing one or two letters in most cases, it would seem) and having an original plot, it still an unofficial comic made by a fan, directly based on established work.

I don't know enough about AvA to comment on that side of things, however, it does seem odd to index things from unofficial crossover episodes.

It's fanfic, so it's better suited for FC/OC.

Despite changing the names (though only by removing one or two letters in most cases, it would seem) and having an original plot, it still an unofficial comic made by a fan, directly based on established work.

I don't know enough about AvA to comment on that side of things, however, it does seem odd to index things from unofficial crossover episodes.
you didn't read this at all, i literally went through why it isn't a fanfic and IT'S NOT BASED on an established work as it has 0 relevance to the plot of cartoons.

Back