• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How strong would an earthquake have to be to cause major cracking in the ground?

I'm curious because characters in a game I'm playing can create localized earthquakes that can do this.

(note: it's refured to in game as an earthquake.)

On the mercalli scale, to my understanding a IX is the lowest you can get with notable cracks in the ground. If they're cracks serious enough that foundations of buildings would be mostly damaged or railway lines would be bent then it's a X. If they're enough to distort line of sight (so cracks where parts of ground have a height shift by a significant portion of a human's height) then it's a XII.

For the most part these would be 7.0 or above on the magnitude scale, but how far depends on how far away the effects are still felt from the source/center of the Earthquake (this is usually some point underground).

Ah, in that case it's too localized to use earthquake values. I don't know if we can really quantify it better than estimating depth and applying fragmentation of stone (assuming it's been used in stony areas).

The animation does show stone in it. Though out of curiosity what would a "generic" earthquake be? Since other monsters in said game are stated to cause earthquakes at will. Sadly we don't see them

Edit: nvm it does a move called earth shaker that hits and shakes the entire arena.

If it shakes the whole arena without cracking the ground, I think it'd be VI-VIII on the Mercalli scale, since VI is where Earthquakes are noticeable to everyone, and VII/VIII is where it starts damaging smaller structures (so it's probably where it's likely to start causing injuries as well). In terms of magnitude, this is where it would range from mid 5s to low 6s, so energy would be in the city+ to mountain range.

Back