• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hot takes thread, safer edition

Tell me the author is running out of ideas without telling me the author is running out of ideas
uhhhh and uhm uhhh mr plainblackhairedcharacter suddenly began glowing and he gained 15 layers of transduality type 16, 99 levels of powernull, 69 levels of 420 dimensional mind manipulation, your mom's credit card number, the expiration date and 3 wacky numbers on the back

I do think duality and transduality are fun things to play around with in writing tbf, but some verses just add layers and layers and layers of the most OP hax they can think of. Like who tf actually reads a story where the protag has multi-layered power-null and has fun?

I do think duality and transduality are fun things to play around with in writing tbf, but some verses just add layers and layers and layers of the most OP hax they can think of. Like who tf actually reads a story where the protag has multi-layered power-null and has fun?
Tbf it heavily depends on how present shit like that is in the story itself. Verses like Touhou are absurdly overpowered but pretty much none of what makes it so overpowered are actually present in the story 99% of the time. You couldn't see even 1% of what we have on the profiles now if you just did an average playthrough of the games and skimmed the manga.

Now, shit like Maou Gakuin? That's a completely different story. Same goes for most LN verses.

Tbf it heavily depends on how present shit like that is in the story itself. Verses like Touhou are absurdly overpowered but pretty much none of what makes it so overpowered are actually present in the story 99% of the time. You couldn't see even 1% of what we have on the profiles now if you just did an average playthrough of the games and skimmed the manga.

Now, shit like Maou Gakuin? That's a completely different story. Same goes for most LN verses.
Honestly convinced Maou fans who like it for reasons other than it’s OP power scaling are about as rare as unicorns and mermaids

To be fair to Maou Gakuin, it does have some endearing and cool concepts there, it's just presented in a nonsensical way. The OPness on its own doesn't ruin the story, the story itself does. I believe there are plenty of ways to do a story with OP hax and strength, while keeping the story aspect intact.

Honestly convinced Maou fans who like it for reasons other than it’s OP power scaling are about as rare as unicorns and mermaids
I've seen the Maou Gakuin subreddit, it's like 90% powerscalers. I think whatever message the author was going for (if there even is one) has been lost to time.

Begging these people to learn a form of media analysis that goes deeper than "character strong" or "waifu hot".
unknown.png

Another verse with OP hax and resistances thats still fun that I can remember is D.Gray Man.

So yeah its definitely just a skill issue that all these LNs are so dogshit.

I've seen the Maou Gakuin subreddit, it's like 90% power scalers. I think whatever message the author was going for (if there even is one) has been lost to time.
This, but for Demon King Daimaou. It essentially tells a story about the theory of "I am me" and the author trying to figure it out himself. I think it's really interesting if you try to understand the story beyond "lol infinite hierarchies = OP".
Pretty much everything ties into that theme, from computer God actions, to why Demon Kings exist, and the most blatant one being The Law Of Identity itself. This is why I'm also annoyed when the authors of such stories do not care about power scaling and get harassed with questions like "Can your character beat Goku", or "Can he create DC cosmology".
The first time I read the LN was more than a year ago and because I had a nostalgia for the anime, after reading all the LNs I didn't even think about "Could he beat Goku though"

And yes, I went on a rant. Oh well.

Back